Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, February 1, 2024

A Fat Caddis


 



"Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job" - Paul Schullery" 



I like this fly.  It has bulk without adding additional weight because of the hook which is a Mustad Egg hook, size 10.

If I wanted more weight I'd drop-shot it.  The body is Clarks and Cook all purpose sewing thread in olive followed by spiky rabbit fur (heavy on the guard hairs) for the thorax with one strand of micro tinsel for the rib.  Then finish off with two turns of brown hen hackle.  I'm thinking that this would be a killer pattern in the riffles of the EB, the Ware and the Millers (these are CADDIS rivers) unlike the usual tailwaters). Throw in the Quaboag River and you will have enough water to fish!!


Ken














4 comments:

DRYFLYGUY said...

Ken, nice looking caddis fly. I too have been using the Coats & Clark sewing thread as well. A few years back you spoke about the use of that thread in one of your many past posts, so I decided to give it a try myself & and I habemt looked back. I also use the Coats & Clark monofilament thread as well in color black that I use for ribbing. All in all, the Coats & Clark seem to work well all around and not for a lot of money....Phil Carroll

BobT said...

A little like the RAM Caddis I used 25 years ago from Blue Ribbon flies. I need to put a couple of those and a couple of yours in my nymph box. Just a good fish catcher. Patiently waiting for some early spring bug activity.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT and DRYFLYGUY;

Good to hear from both of you. It's been a while! I'm waiting for the groundhog to make his announcement!!!

Ken

Charles said...

Adding that fly to my tying list. Just finished tying the minnow pattern (several posts ago) in 12, 14, 16, and 18. Can't wait to try it.
Charles