Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fog On The Swift River




You can "cut the air with a knife" as the saying goes. Mid summer will bring on the humidity and the cold current of the Swift River is certainly a welcome relief. You will also encounter the "Swift River Fog". Warm, moist air meets cold water= FOG. Thursday evening I made my way down to the "pipe" section. There were two others working the area so I walked upstream past the intake to the flat water above. There were trout rising throughout that stretch. I took three on a little olive cdc emerger. Then I saw it! A bank of fog began to form over the river and that shut down the surface activity. Fog will do that. The small tan mayflies were still riding the surface but the trout wouldn't go after them. Maybe they can't see them? I don't know. In any event I felt good about the evening and headed home.
This morning (Sat) I was at the same place with the same foggy conditions (check out the photo above). There were a few mayflies and caddis but no rising fish and I couldn't tempt them with that little emerger. So off goes the emerger and on goes a #12 Millers River Bivisible. BANG - two rainbows came to the net within the next 15 minutes. Maybe, under those conditions, I just needed a larger fly that they could see.
Or maybe I just got lucky!!
The Millers tomorrow evening (maybe)
Ken

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right about the fog on the swift. there was a big difference between being in the river and just walking the banks temp wise.

Anonymous said...

Picked up some nice bows on the Millers both on the Erving section above Farley Flats and below Orcutt Brook on Saturday and Sunday in spite of the high water.
The river sure is beautiful at twilight.
Pete