Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, November 24, 2014

Late Season On The Swift




There are still lots of brook trout in clear view on this river and they are still taking the fly but they seem to be a bit shop worn. Not from being caught but from the spawning infighting that we have seen for the past month or so. I've actually been looking for rainbows like the one that took my egg pattern, shot off ten feet and found sanctuary in a downed tree!

Egg patterns or more exactly a micro egg pattern. I tie mine on size 18 and 20 egg/scud hooks with just a bit of flash on the pattern. Micro eggs are closer to the natural size and seem to work better than the larger sizes at least for me.

Another pattern that has worked this Fall are orange San Juan Worms. 40 fish days?? That's what I've heard. I tied some up but haven't used them yet. Maybe next year.

The first real snow hits Wednesday afternoon with maybe a 6+ inch total here in trout land. It will not keep the faithful off the Swift this weekend and that is a good thing!!

Have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving and we will see you on the Swift!!

Ken

7 comments:

Brk Trt said...

Nice to see the brookies doing well.
Our guys are just about through with the spawn also.

Anonymous said...

ken
what size SJW?
thanks.
cliff

Anonymous said...

Ken,

How do eggs compare with your other flies? Like as far as fish caught. I find that on an average day of fishing nothing but eggs and San Juan Worms, I catch more fish than an average day of midge fishing. I guess the trout are just suckers for eggs. And thanks for the tip about the Orange San Juan Worm; I usually use pink. I'll try some orange ones next season as well.

~Troy

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Cliff
Any size

Troy
I cant comppare eggs worms and midge's. Each have their day.
Ken

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ken! I appreciate what you do to keep this blog going.

tincup said...

Ken do you weight your SJW and eggs patterns or do you use a small shot as weight I did good using a green SJW from a suggestion of a person called Bill. Sometimes I think its good to think outside the box and change colors of proven patterns. A prince nymph made with sparkle dubbing instead of peacock is a real winner thanks again for this sight happy holidays to all Tincup

Millers River Flyfisher said...

micro shot on both when needed.
KEN