Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Outside The C&R Areas - Start Exploring The Road Less Traveled

"I fly fish not because I regard fly fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun." John Volker

We know three things: that the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and if you want to create crowded conditions just make a section of a trout stream catch and release. It certainly doesn't have to be the best section of river but if you slap that label on it they will come. Let's look at the EB. The C&R section is great even if 80% of the anglers only work the first of the six miles available. With most people above the gate and with the summer swimmers it can get a little "close" on weekends. Why not head upstream and I mean upstream!! There are MILES of water on that branch that are basically untouched.

Some places have easy access. Some places require a a real hike. They are all worth it because there are plenty of fish there and you will have it to yourself.

The same with the Millers - I love the lower C&R but when I guide there I start below the C&R, work my way upstream to the lower end of the C&R and then go above the C&R, finally ending at the C&R. Why? Simply put the sections above and below, In my opinion, the C&R are more interesting and have LOTS of trout and hardly any other anglers.

Now, if you have been fishing the CR of the Swift for the past three months you get a pass. During the winter it can be the only game in town. But Spring is about here and there are miles of water that you have never fished. The Millers, the EB and the lower Swift are just some. FISH THEM!! The C&R sections will still be there!

Daylight Savings starts in a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you. Maybe all rivers should be catch and release.

GW

Sam said...

I appreciate what you put up, Ken, regards to where to fish without being crowded. I have to have my own space and seek places where I get it. If I catch trout that is a bonus. Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

GW,

All of the major rivers at least.

Sam,
You're doing it right!!