Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, November 27, 2017

A New Feature, big browns And Great Flies

"I guess I love the Adams for the same reasons everyone does: it's a proven fish catcher and an item of tradition, two things that are hard to ignore. In fact, there are places where, if you don't have at least a few of these flies in your box, fishermen will frown and ask you where the hell you're from and game wardens will call in your fishing license to see if there are any warrants out on you" - John Gierach


Ok, I've been getting a lot of photos from readers concerning some good fish that they are catching and some pretty good flies that are coming from their vises. So, going forward I'll publish your accomplishments on this blog. Just send a good photo and a short paragraph about the fish or the fly and it's done. We don't have to have monster fish. Just a good fish that meant something to you would be good.

First off there's this Brown (above) taken from the Swift late last week by commentator Bob O. It taped out at 28 inches and the weight was guessed at 7lb. This is just another monster brown that this river has surrendered. Good work Bob!!!!

The Bread Crust


Commentator Bob T and I got into an online discussion about a grand old fly that people have just forgotten about. The fly is the Breadcrust and it's at least 70 years old. One of the reasons for it's falling out is that it is a devil to tie. The key is in the body and that body is the stem of a grouse tail feather in the "red stage". If you can find the stuff the work has just begun. You must clip the feathers down to stubs and then split the stem with a razor and scrape out the pith. Then you can start winding the quill onto the hook.


Bob did a great job on that fly getting the crusty look of those feather stubs perfectly. I was looking for a short cut. Instead of using grouse I took a B grade dry fly hackle, cut the hackle fibers to about 1/32 of an inch, and then wrapped the hackle forward. It's very quick and has the same effect! The hackle by the head is soft hen hackle but you could use anything. I've tied up some and can't wait to hit the Ware with them in May!!!!!

Now for an observation - I've guided hundreds of fly fishers, many of them possessing great skill and knowledge dealing with fly fishing and not one of them ever showed up with a nymph rod!! Two admit to owning one but they don't use them. Hmmm.......I own one and I hate it.

Stream Update

Contrary to some reports the brook trout are still on the beds on the Swift. You just have to know where to look for them and and when you find them you'll see many. I left them alone today focusing on the bows which took the partridge and orange in a size 14 over an RS2 sparkle. We still have some good weather in the mix for the next week so let's go fishing!!!!

Ken




14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you might find that a Nymph Rod, specifically a 10' 3wt euro nymph rod does a pretty fine job fishing soft hackles. I have! Its got the action of my father's old Bamboo wet fly rod but a lot lighter in hand.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

That' s what I have at 10 ft 4wt. Funny that you compare it to an old bamboo rod. I own a bunch of bamboo rods but they are of the faster, dry fly action. My nymph rod reminds me of the old, old Montague or H&I sticks that could only fish a wet fly. They were worthless for anything else. I look for the all around rod that can do EVERYTHING well.

Ken

Phil Foster said...

Hi Ken,
Read your latest post on the Breadcrust nymph and remembered this post from awhile ago that helps with some of the tougher techniques in the construction of this fly.
Envious of the weather I hear you’ve been having and hope your fishing conditions remain for the season. We’ve been getting lots of rain and are at about 200% of normal snowpack for this time of year which will help mitigate years of drought and hopefully help rebuild our runs of salmon/steelhead which have been down a little the last few years. Still, on days with good water color the summer steelhead fishing has been excellent.
Your reader,
Phil Foster
Jacksonville, Oregon.

Anonymous said...

The toughest part of the traditional Breadcrust is bagging a Ruffed Grouse IMHO. Almost used up my supply on that pattern and have to wait till next fall to replenish if I get lucky.
While my euro nymph rod does cast a dry fairly well in a pinch, I much prefer fishing a dedicated fast action 4wt dry rod and a dedicated nymph/wet rod than an all around rod.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Amonymous,

Yes, we have to get lucky regarding that material. Regarding rods: I want something that can do BOTH tasks well,nymphing and dry fly/emmerger fishing. I may fish a nymph and then switch quickly to a dry or ememrger because the situation changes quickly. I'm not going to carry 2 rods with me or think that the nymph rod (my personal experience) will get the job done in a dry fly situation. It is not a great casting tool for that yet a medium fast action (or even a fast action) dry fly rod can do both duties.

I catch a lot of fish!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Good post. I have no need for a nymph rod because my Tenkara rod with a level line gets the nymphing job done! Not much of a dry fly rod though.

Jeff T.

Anonymous said...

Let me say that this blog serves a purpose to a lot of flyfishers with good information and details that you don’t find everywhere. What I find interesting and this is not only on your blog but in everything written about trout fishing is how complicated we have made this sport from specialty rods to reels with drags that can stop a train. What happened to the days that we just went fishing and not worry what rod to bring,what flies to carry or when the stocking truck is coming? Why can’t we just go and fish and enjoy the moment wether we catch a fish or not. After all it is called fishing and not catching but unfortunately it has become a business

Gary said...

I'm going to break away from the discussion if I may, this season I wanted to get a little stillwater trout fishing in, but fishing in the local rivers has been so good its taken up all my time. I haven't caught a trout in a pond in quite a while, until today. On the water around noon at Hampton Ponds in Westfield Ma. 54 degrees,sun,15 to 25 mph winds (6wt). 7 nice rainbows brought to hand, fooled with a #8 inline olive bugger (from shore). Glad I decided to go, only 1 other angler a spin guy.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Good work! I was at Les's today and ice is starting to form on the edges.

Anonymous 9:06am

Thank you for the nice words and I'm glad that you like the blog.

We have become a society obsessed with gadgets with the mistaken belief that these things will make us better at what we do. Fly fishing itself is not the goal of many new to the sport in the last 10 years. Collecting "things" and being able to speak the lingo is now just as important. If we were limited to buying only one rod and reel every 5 years I believe many would lose interest.

Ken


Sam said...

Ken, A lot of good knowledge shared here, and I sure enjoy reading it, most especially about flies to tie. Whenever I see a fly featured that I don't have, I have to tie at least a couple up and most likely those are the first ones I try when I next get out fishing. I have connected plenty with those new flies.

With regard to gadgets and such, I think I am the cheapest son of a gun going. I still enjoy fishing with my 70's vintage 7'Fenwick which suits me fine for where I fish. I do think I need a longer rod for certain high sticking situations, and when I pull the trigger on that one I will buy it at Walmart.

Sam

BobT said...

You can find ruffed grouse tails at various online suppliers not necessarily fly tying per se...ebay is also a possibility. I wrecked as many stems as I split correctly...its a royal pain but somewhat satisfying to get them to come out good-I tied up almost 2 dozen and will order some more tails for next thanksgiving when I tend to have the bandwidth to do this "project" because thats what it is lol.
I had a nymph rod but got rid of it...it was ok and I see the advantage but its just not versatile enough to fish dry, nymph, wet and streamer techniques all in a day and the advantage was marginal in my opinion. Many of the comp guys use 9 footers for the same reason. Give me a 9 ft 5 or 8.5 ft 4 and I am good to go.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I'll keep the flies coming and hopefully we will continue to get recipes from the readers.

BobT,

Found a grouse tail that I picked up at Western Ma. Flyfishers a few years ago but I haven't got the nerve to start preparing it. Maybe this winter.....

Ken

YellowstoneBound said...

Man, that’s a lovely brown! Did you see the brown featured in the photo gallery of this month’s Boston TU newsletter? Here’s the link:

http://mailchi.mp/d2c7d551287f/vv63em8vj4-1355453?e=621d533784#gallery

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Yellowstone Bound,

Saw that brown photo a few months ago. There are many 5lb+ browns in the Swift.

Ken