Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A Short Swift Trip, Pinheads, DHE Emergers And Booking A Trip.

4/20/18 - It appears that the Swift got stocked yesterday - Ken
4/21/18 - Lost streamer wallet on Ware or Swift (see comments)

Ray Bondorew (RaysFly) said...
Ken--Good to see a word or two about the Hornberg. I've fished the Hornberg for years and it's one of my old favorite and reliable patterns. In northern New England it's a prominent and well known pattern tied in a wide range of sizes and variations. In southern New England it's not that popular. I've always fished it dry on the drift with the retrieve bringing it just below the surface. Never thought to weight it and fish it deeper in the water column sizes. Have to tie and try a few weighted ones. Thanks for the tip!
Ray Bondorew Author of "Stripers and Streamers"

                                                         A Short Swift Trip
Patriots day gave us 2 inches of driving cold rain which blew out most of our major trout streams - except the Swift! I've heard during March that there were trout in the upper reaches, something that can't be said below Rt. 9 but good news from the Y Pool and the Bubbler Arm.   Time to check it out.

I love the Bubbler because it is QUIET. It's hard to get packed in there and I can say that the 20+ years I have been fishing it I usually fished it alone or didn't have an angler within 100 feet of me.  It's also the land of sight fishing and by that I don't mean just seeing fish but LOOKING for fish.  That's what i did!


I got there at 8:00 am, three anglers were in the Y Pool but the Bubbler was empty.  Taking a S-L-O-W walk I didn't see a fish until half way and then they were there - all rainbows and some seemed to be actively feeding.

On went a size 18 Zebra Midge which produced NOTHING in a 100 foot sweep of a section.
Next was a size 22 pinhead and that ended the drought. I took two good bows just drifting that fly past stationary trout that made aggressive moves towards that fly! The fish were in the 13 to 15 inch range.

I worked my way down to the Y were I found regular Gary and another braving a nasty wind over the dam. Gary had caught a brookie but that was it. I dropped my Pinhead into the fray and in a half hour had two strong hits but missed both. I was freezing and after two hours I packed it in. So did everyone else!


Pinheads work on the Swift, the Farmie and any other tailwater/spring creek that you come across. The best sizes for me are in the 20 to 24 range and although I've tied them down to size 28 they just don't seem to do the trick in the very small sizes. 20 to 24 puts them into the size range of most of our black fly larvae.

\
DHE Emergers

Author Bob Wyatt nailed it when he realized that it is the emerger that most trout are after and not the adult dun.  He also nailed it with his DHE Emerger, a fly that trout just have to eat.

This imitation mimics the pre-adult stage of ANY mayfly that you will encounter. A few wisps of pheasant tail for the tail, floss, thread or dubbing for the body, buggy dubbing for the thorax and then deer hair for the wing stub. (substitute CDC for smaller sizes) One can skip the pheasant tail fibers but I think that it helps the back end of this fly sink which is what you want.

It has all of the feeding triggers that trout fall for and is a perfect Hendrickson imitation.

Don't worry, REAL Spring will be here soon and despite the lousy weather people are booking trips into June and July already.  Don't get left outside!!!






Ken



 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Like the look of that DHE!

GW

Anonymous said...

Ken, I had read Ray Bondorew's book a while ago and he struck me as one of the most insightful fishermen I had ever read... especially concerning Striped Bass fishing. To read that he found the tips found in your blog helpful just reinforces the fact that the guys reading and contributing to this blog "really" have fishing knowledge and the rest of us will do well to read and learn! I know I will. Thanks for the good work.

Anonymous said...

Add a little pink color from a sharpie to the thorax for a Hendrickson.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous, 4:45

Thank you for the comment!!

Anonymous, 9:27

Years ago there was a magazine article about adding the color red to the thorax on a Herdrickson. The writer claimed that he went further than that and tied a red Hendrickson and caught fish.

Ken

JonBoxboro said...

Ken,
Not sure I saw that many more fish at the Y-pool and Bubbler arm this morning. If they stocked it must have been below the Rte 9 Bridge. Did get 3 bows with size 20 black beauty fly (I used a peacock hurl to simulate your pinhead fly), an orange egg up on the Bubbler and black Simi-seal mini leach pattern in the Y-pool

/jon

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jon,

First, my pinhead has peacock involved.

Second, I believe the stocking was below Rt 9. We will see.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I fished from pipe parking lot all the way down to cady lane say 3 fish total. If they did stock below Rt 9 bridge nothing in usual spots.

Damir

bigmster127 said...

millers river fly fisherman is there a flow chart for south royalston the bearsden area? i can find the one for erving section but not south royalston. are the flows better or worse up there than the irving section? thanx good luck fishing

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Damir,

Thanks for the report. You did better than a lot of people!

bigmster,

The South Roalston gauge went down a year ago and I have not heard that it's coming back. It may have gotten the budget axe.

Since it's upstream of Erving the flow will be less than Erving but not that much. Maybe 80% of Evrving.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,
I was fairly disappointed not seeing any fish in lower section of swift. The few I saw are survivors!! Not sure what's going on with stocking.. I am not expecting huge amounts of fish but at least something to fish to on one of the busiest rivers!! CR was not any bettee..

Thanks,
Damir

Anonymous said...

Ken,

As I was tying, I put a few flies aside for you to try. Out of humility, I would prefer they are not on your website, but can live with it if you want them up there except for the two soft hackles which were patterns from a late friend who wanted them hush hush.

If you are interested, just give me an address. There are a couple good flies for your interest in smallmouth again. I think I saw some trout finning at Wachusett looking for bugs, probably recently stocked rainbows. Didn't have a pole with me though

Kevin

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Kevin,

I will not publish photos or recipes of these flies without your approval.

Ken

The Eye on Harvard said...

LOST STREAMER WALLET

I'm embarrassed to post that my streamer wallet may have fallen out of my chest pack during my visit to either the Ware at Church street or somewhere from the Gauge to below Cady Lane the beginning of April. Its a dark green canvas "FINN" sheepskin lined streamer wallet (Leather Closure). Just noticed its absence today. Can't imagine it went for a swim but it could have fallen out of my unzipped pack at some point tromping around Cady Lane. Taking the chance that somebody in our community might have discovered it. Message me at tc@noonmarkstudios.com if you've found it. I would be eternally grateful.

TC

Millers River Flyfisher said...

TC - I posted it!!! Lets hope for the best.

Ken