Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, January 14, 2019

A Mid Winter Nights' Dream - The Millers

The strike to a deep, dead drifted nymph is signaled, if at all, by a very slight bump, juggle, twitch, jerk, hesitation, wiggle (or whatever you want to call it) in the floating part of the line or leader and/or by an equally slight movement, flash or shadow on the bottom. G.E.M. Skues described the latter as "that cunning brown wink underwater, referring to brown trout, of course" - John Gierach, Trout Bum



One of the common requests that I get when someone books a guided trip with me is "I'd like to fish some place that isn't crowded". Actually, this is a fairly simple request that is easily accomplished, even on the Swift where it seems that 75% of the flyfishers on any given day are at the Pipe and the Y Pool leaving the rest of the river uncrowded. I am more than happy to oblige my client because I don't like crowds either and can find 50 yards of open, productive water fairly easily, even on the Swift. When they make the same request of a Millers trip I know it will be EASY. The Millers is an easy river to disappear on!!

Much of the fly fishing on the Millers occurs at Rezendes, Orcutt Brook and the Kempfield section. The South Royalston stretch sees little pressure and the same is true of the two tiered Gorge Pool. The UTD Pool is unknown to many and the water above the Upper Trestle Pool is really a Nomans Land. The same is true for the water below Bridge Street. I don't feel that I'm giving away any State secrets here because I've been beating the drum for this river for years but the same old spots are still crowded because of easy access and it's where they stock the trout!.

My favorite time to fish this river, or any freestone,  is on Summer evenings because that's the best time to fish ANY freestone. The heat of the day has dissipated, the sun begins to sink below the ridges and the swallows are darting about feeding on the growing number of mayflies and caddis.  Something else begins to feed on them and that is signaled by a rising trout. Soon there are rises up and down the Millers and you will have the place to yourself on most occasions and that is because most anglers fish bankers hours and will be off the river by suppertime.  This is what I dream about on dark cold Winter days.

All rivers have their local fish hawks who shun the crowds in pursuit of trout. Bill R. and Sam, The "Boss of Bondsville", can be found in hidden places along the Swift. Bill from Tully KNOWS the Millers and I know that Gary C. knows more about the EB than anyone.  They are not "gear heads" but fly fishers!!!

The Marlboro Show And Am I Going -  I placed my Fly Shack order a month ago so there goes one reason. I don't need another fly rod or fly reel so there goes another reason.  I don't need any new places to fish because I love my local rivers.  There's your answer.

PS The Swift has dropped about 120 cfs in the last week. We should be below 500 cfs in a day or so.


Ken







13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gave up on Marlboro FF Show years ago for similar reasons. However, I would highly recommend The CT Fly Fishermen Assoc Expo on Feb 2nd in S.Windsor CT. Its a gem of a show featuring local fly tyers and vendors.

Hibernation said...

So true of the Millers Ken. That deep pool below the rapid section which is below the bridge street pool is so good, and I've never seen another person there. All the water from Rezendez to UTD? Fantastic! It's a rare river for southern NE in that it has a lot of big protected land, or just plain very rural land to "hide" in.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 8:17 am,

It has been a shrinking show for a few years now. I stopped after Cote's from Leicester Ma left a few years ago. They had SOOO many hard to find tying material and tools available. Real "Old School" stuff that you don't find anymore.

Hibernation (Will),

Two rapids below the Bridge St. Pool there is a run that hits the bank and turns left. I used to call it the Cable Run because of some wires that supported some kayak gates years ago. The gates are long gone but the run is still there

Ken.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I really missed the Millers this Fall. That high water ended everything early this year.

Jeff Y.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:33,

The Millers is dropping. It's now at 735 cfs, the lowest in over three months. Maybe we will have an early spring!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken, I enjoy my time spent in Bondsville that is for sure. Fish stocking time brings in more anglers, but I have always found a zone of my liking to fish. Most times there aren't many anglers, sometimes just me. Catch and keep all the time, the folks who keep them never get them all!

Best, Sam

T Neale said...

Ken,

I have been having a conversation with Adam Kautza from Mass. Wildlife regarding whitlock-vibert boxes and other Millers River related items. Thought I would share part of the conversation - "Also, I’m giving a presentation this Thursday at 7 pm for the Millers River Trout Unlimited. You might be interested in attending. I won’t go over details necessarily but I’ll be giving an overview of Millers River Watershed trout fisheries based on what we currently know from the data we have (and a little about what we would like to focus on in the basin moving forward). I’ll also go over some project updates on the Swift River and the Deerfield River."

TU chapter for the Millers is held at the Otter River Sportsman club.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Todd,

I have a prior commitment on the 17th so I cannot attend.

As a former Chapter President it is good to see that efforts are being made to study, understand and improve this fishery.

Ken

Chico said...

Fished often between Wendell and Holtshire in May and June. Tough walking and wading, but nice water and productive. Hope high flow for long period of time will result in fish being dispersed more up and downstream.

tincup said...

with the high water since fall on the millers (before during and after the October stocking) if the water could return to a fishable level come early spring the millers could be really super with the amount of holdover fish that were stocked in October. Because the fall unfishable condition could really be a big plus come spring. All we can hope is a return to normal Would u have a guess at survival rate of those fall stocking.

tight lines tincup

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Francesco,

That is a very hard stretch to fish but it is worth it.

tincup,

We have had good winter survival on years where we had a mild winter such as 2006 and
2010 but not good even on an average winter. The high water keeps the anchor ice off the river which is good. This could be a good Spring.

Ken

DS said...

I went to the Marlborough show today for the first time and it was a great experience. I realize that much of it is around selling stuff and destinations, but there's a boatload of presentations and seminars. I went to one and it was the highlight. Also pretty cool to meet many legends all in the same place at the same time who are very personable and willing to talk to you.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DS,

This show can be like Christmas Morning to someone fairly new to the sport. It Lots of stuff and info BUT when you've been going for about 20 years (like me) you've probably seen it all. I go about every third year.

Ken