Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Different Dry Fly Strategies And The Otter

"Tailwaters are what Thomas McGuane called "the great theme parks of American fly fishing," with their more or less stable water temperatures and artificially inflated populations of insects and fish. They are irresistible for all kinds of reasons, but all of those trout breed the peculiarly postmodern sense that anything short of a 20 fish day is a bust, so when things are slow there's the temptation to lie about numbers or to vaguely allow that you are "getting your share" - John Gierach



Each year I have a number of people who take my 3 hour dry fly outing because out of all the techniques in fly fishing this is the one that puzzles them the most. Presentation, the avoidance of drag and matching the hatch can all seem overwhelming when it is simply not. Here are some simple rules that must be addressed.

1. Where Do You Fish? This is really important because all rivers are not the same. If you spend most of your time fishing on tailwaters you will be presented with much different conditions than on freestones. If you read the quote at the top of the page you will you will understand. Tailwaters are made to be stable with flows and water temperatures and you can have surface feeding during the height of a hot summer day almost any time. Freestones have their flows and temperatures fluctuating constantly from cold, flooded conditions to low flows and high temperatures. Where you can score on the Swift with dries all day long you may have to settle for the "Evening Rise" on a stream like the Millers or the EB. In 2009 I fished the EB from Memorial Day through Labor Day with nothing but dry flies and caught a lot of trout BUT all of the fishing was done from 6 pm through dark. That's when the trout began to "look up" because that's when the insects began to hatch.

2. What Kind
Of Rod? - I can dry fly fish all season long with a 3wt to a 5wt on any of the rivers that I fish, tailwater or freestone. A 3wt matched with a double taper works great on the Swift because that double taper lays out sooo gently which is what you want on that intimate stream and it's ability to roll cast will keep you out of the bushes. A 4 or 5wt can launch the long casts and bigger flies that you may need on bigger rivers like the EB, Millers or the Ware. It is a misconception that you NEED a 2wt or lighter for the Swift. I've caught many of its trout with a 4wt while fishing dries in the tiny size 20's and never felt over gunned. Just an average wind will mess up a cast with a ultra
light line. Trust me.

3. What Kind Of Fly? - Matching the Hatch can be reduced to two elements: matching the size and matching the profile of the fly of choice. COLOR is the last element to consider because one fly tyer's
version of light olive or sulphur is probably totally different than anothers' version. And remember, the rise of that trout that you are getting into position for was probably to the emerger stage and not to the adult imitation that you carefully crafted and that emerger is of a different color than the adult. Now, for those that can't agree with this fact please consider this obvious point: your dry fly has a big piece of curved steel sticking out of its butt which which the natural doesn't. (Note - maybe profile isn't that important either. Bob Wyatt and his book,What Trout Want: The Educated Trout And Other Myths is a must read on this subject)

The Otter - I spent 2.5 hours yesterday morning braving a stiff wind and dealing with a Y Pool otter who totally spent about 20 to 30 minutes tearing up the pool. I knew something was up when I was making my way across the river and saw about 8 bows racing downstream past the Hemlocks. It took about 30 minutes for the trout began to show themselves and I got 2 hits and landed one. Bill said that the beast spent all day Monday doing the same thing. If this year is like all the others the otter will leave the pool in about a month or so or when the rest of the river gets stocked.


Ken



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

You mentioned double taper lines for the Swift. Could you use the same taper with heavier lines?

RKE

Millers River Flyfisher said...

RKE,

I would not because I want the punch of a WF line on a bigger river although there may be a use for them with some switch/spey applications.

Ken

John Strucker said...

Otters! I remember two of them taking over the Y-Pool one winter about 20 years ago - dashing right past our feet, sending the trout into hiding. To make matters worse, they set up their Otter Potty on the far side just below the pool. You could smell it from 50 yards away.

I also ran into a pair of otters on the EB October 20, 2015. It was near dark in tail of the Bliss Pool, just few days after Fall stocking. Made me wonder if they'd gone online for stocking report.

I've also mink disrupt the fishing on the EB and MB - cavorting along the bank, diving in and out of the water, following me upstream and downstream, and totally putting the fish down.

Episodes like these, though annoying at the time, make for vivid memories. They remind us that we're really engaged in a civilized and stylized form of hunting - and that we're not the only hunters on the river.



Millers River Flyfisher said...

John,

I saw two otters by the Bliss Pool back in 2014. They worked the far shore under the overhanging grass and usually caught something. Same thing on the Millers. I didn't mind them because it's a big river and they probably have more right to it than we do.

Ken

BobT said...

I guess mother nature has her way of leveling the odds against us....otters, minks, beavers are a pain but its also pretty cool; lets not forget we aren't fishing in aquariums.
The first 35 feet or so of DT's and WF's are basically the same unless you have a funky taper like a super short head or a triangle taper.
Has anyone tried any of the super short skagit tapers for OPST and other line makers, they seem to be taking off out west? They are phenomenal spey/roll cast lines from the videos I've seen but they don't set down particularly delicately. I would think it would be a fun style of fishing for wets and streamers & they make them so you can single handed spey a 2 weight on up. You can overhead cast them too. I was going to try it last season but never got around to rigging it and my fishing was sporadic at best...its ready to go for '18.

John Strucker said...

Well said, Ken. Reminds us that we're part of nature just as they are.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

The first 35 feet are basically the same in weight but not in shape or profile. I have a triangle taper 3wt that I like using with a particular bamboo rod of mine and on a day with no wind.

I enjoyed my spey trip last November but began to wounder if all of that could be done with a heavier DT line.

John Strucker,

Amen

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken

THIS is an awesome guide Ken! Thank you!

Hope to see you on the water!

Tim

Anonymous said...

I have seen and enjoyed many animals while fishing (and not fishing) and have to say the most interesting and exciting animal (as of 2 months ago) I have ever seen in the wild was an otter. I was fishing the Shawsheen river in andover years ago, and was under a bridge fishing a pool when he popped right up in front of me. Shocked the heck out of me and him two, as he went under and rose again 10 feet down river and looked at me again, and disappeared. Very cool.

The other animal? I recently saw a bobcat cross the road in front of me in my home town of Marshfield, mass. They have been rumored to be this far east and in my town for awhile, and sure enough, I caught a glimpse. amazing
See you on the water

Sam said...

Dwight, I agree with you, amazing things to be seen while fishing. It is not all about fishing, is it?

Last season I had an eagle fly twenty feet over my head with crows chasing it, a hawk trying to outsmart a squirrel on a tree trunk where the squirrel always found a way to keep that tree between him and the hawk. A big trout rounding up the fall fish I tossed into a shallow channel splashing to beat the band. I never imagined a big one would be living in there, but there it was come night fall. Hard to get a fly in there I would add.

Best sport on Earth.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dwight,

I first otter I saw was seen on a pond in Ayer Ma back in the 60's. It was floating on its back in a pond, while cracking open mussels. Saw another one on a little trout brook back then. They were rare back then but have made a comeback.
Ken

Anonymous said...

I've seen otters, bears, beavers, turkeys, deer, herons, eagles, coyotes and turkey vultures as well as the common wingless turkey while fishing the Swift. Jones-z

Mark O said...

Hi bob, I too like seeing the otters even if it disrupts the fishing. I have an opst commando head for my 3wt. It is fun to fish in the right situation. I’ve deployed it on the swift but find that using Spey (or Speyish) casts with my DT line covers most situations I encounter on the swift. Also, you’re right, even though the opst skagit lines are more delicate that others I’ve used I wouldn’t call them delicate at all.

Mark O said...

Mark O
6:58 AM (38 minutes ago)


Mark O has left a new comment on your post "Different Dry Fly Strategies And The Otter":

Hi bob, I too like seeing the otters even if it disrupts the fishing. I have an opst commando head for my 3wt. It is fun to fish in the right situation. I’ve deployed it on the swift but find that using Spey (or Speyish) casts with my DT line covers most situations I encounter on the swift. Also, you’re right, even though the opst skagit lines are more delicate that others I’ve used I wouldn’t call them delicate at all.


Dave P said...

Hi, Ken, and fellow fly fishers,

I've been dying to get out on the Swift this winter, but haven't been able to make the time yet. I did have a nice few days out on the Middle Provo out west in December. Some nice midday surface action on midge dries/emergers. Saw a beautiful pair of bald eagles.

Question: I still have so much to learn about the Swift. Where is the "Duck Pond"?

Hope to see you on the water soon!

Cheers,
Dave

Millers River Flyfisher said...

David,

The "Duck Pond" is below rt 9 about a 1/4 mile below the bridge. Take the FIRST turnoff on River Rd. There is a large, deep pool below some rock structures. It has a small "pen" on the opposite shore. That's the Duck Pond"

Ken

Dave P said...

Thanks, Ken!

Bookkeeper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.