Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, March 19, 2018

Random Thoughts About Fishing And Booking A Trip.

"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution" - John Gierach 


It was easily over 35 years ago when a fly fishing magazine published an article on Oregon's Deschutes River accompanied by a beautiful photo of a solitary angler with the caption that went something like this: "A lonely flyfisher plies the Deschutes at sunset". In that pre-internet age we had to wait until the next issue of the magazine when a comment on that photo appeared in the Letters to the Editor column which went like this: "I disagree with your photo caption. A flyfisher may be alone but is never lonely". The writer of that letter described the culture of fly fishing for many of us in the way that John Gierach does in the quote at the top of this post. Fly fishing has been, historically, a solitary endeavor AND if my guiding requests are any indication it still is one. "I don't want to fish in a crowded spot" is the constant refrain and I am very happy to oblige them so off we go to where I fish and if time permits we will visit the crowded spots!

But things are changing. Gierach's  bohemian aspect is being challenged because fly fishing is now becoming a mainstream activity. I've known two people who had to choose between fly fishing or golf as a #1 activity. Golf is the great social sport but fly fishing really never had that kind of element but now...

1. I had the feeling back in the 80's when Jane Fonda said that when she dies she wants to come back as a Montana fly fishing guide that the things were going bad. Here are some other observations that are disturbing:

2. I've known some fly fishers that like to leave freestones at dusk. That's why we have tailwaters!

3. I've known some  fly fishers who don't like to travel alone on a trout stream. (I had one guy who asked if I was afraid to meet any weird people out here. My response was that they are more afraid of me!) The BEST fly fishers that I know always seem to fish alone. They will meet people and old friends on the stream but still fish mostly alone.

4. I've known some  fly fishers who can't stop talking about equipment. This is understandable with newbies  (or golfers) but you would like to think that they would outgrow this stage and realize that there are fly fishers who will out fish them with a broom handle BECAUSE it's SKILL that matters, not equipment. Will six inches of rod length and one size lighter in line REALLY make a difference? I know of one individual in the fly fishing business who doesn't like the Swift because it's too crowded and people talk too much!!

4. I've heard that fly fishers are the anglers that are the most devoted to their sport. I disagree because I've gotten to know some "dyed in the wool" surf casters that can claim that title and I don't mean seaworm dunkers but the guys that turn or mold their own plugs or work metal to build a lure.  They are the guys that follow the tides around the clock and will fish through the night if things look right. They are diabolical in their devotion and if you see one of them coming off the beach at dawn you will know what I mean!

Ok, I confess - I'm in my second week of a Florida vacation with temperatures in the 70's and 80's. The fishing has been "fair" to this point with blues creating the action. Yes, I know that New England's weather for the past week has SUCKED but adversity builds strength  so you will be better for it.  Just don't complain when it's 90 degrees in July.

My calendar is filling up quickly but I have dates available in April, May and June on 8 different rivers for 3 or 6 hour trips WITH NO ANNOYING DEPOSIT required and at prices that are the most reasonable.  Want to get away from the crowds?  Book a trip!!!!

Ken











3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Yes, fly fishing has changed for the good and for the not so good. The web gives us in a day the info that would take a year to obtain 20 years ago. That's good. It also bombards us with products of questionable value such as the hundreds of rods designed to catch trout. Really?

RKE

Lenny said...

One thing I don’t think I’ll really understand is why so many people are in love with making “life like” legs on nymphs where knots are tied in biots. I feel like movement you could get with say any type of soft hackle fiber is lost to aesthetic pleasure. Just my thoughts.

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

Putting "knees" on flies is not adding a "trigger point" for the trout. It's something we like, I guess.

RKE,

I agree. Well said!

Ken