Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, September 10, 2018

Fall Is In The Air, The Swift River And Book A Trip

"Another great post from an experienced angler. It amazes me how much of a bond I feel with you even though we live on opposite sides of our nation, fish different types of water, and have different preferences for the areas we fish."  Reader Phil in 9/6/18 comments





On Tuesday September 4 it was 92 degrees at noon and I waded wet. In fact, I waded wet all week. Yesterday, Sunday the 9th, it was 58 at noon and refreshing and I hope it stays like this. This is the time of year that I anticipate the most. The streams are low but cool and trout will be after everything from size 20 olives to size 12 October caddis. These great conditions will run right into November so get out there and fish! I'll keep you posted!!!!

Pellets

It's always interesting when I tell a client about the pellet hatch while guiding on the Swift. First, I get the impression that they don't believe me until it actually happens but the sight of dozens of surface slashing trout will quickly change their minds. Then out comes the PELLET FLY and to see trout fooled by a piece of cork is entertaining. Kyle saw his first pellet hatch, caught his first trout on a pellet and showed up the next day with his own pellet flies tied up the night before.

Then there's Des who caught his FIRST trout by any means on the Swift yesterday. I think he is hooked on fly fishing!!!!

Big Browns

I received a photo of an outsized brown taken and released down in Cady Lane this past week. The sender of the photo claims that it was just over 24 inches long and I believe him.

Here it is for your viewing pleasure!!  It's that time of year folks!!!



The New Orange

I've got a new body material for the classic Partridge and Orange that just outshines everything else.  Stay tuned for that!!!!!


Book A Trip

My calendar is filling up quickly but I still have some prime spots open. It's time to "call in sick" after you've booked a session with me. We will be hitting the Ware, Swift, the EB and my most popular destination, the Millers. Get introduced to places other than the same old stocking spots. YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!

Ken





4 comments:

Hibernation said...

There are some big fella's in there Ken! C'mon Fall!

Anonymous said...

Had a nice day on the Millers on Sunday. Water was down as was the air temperature. Comfortable fishing, however, the trout were not coming up and just a very sparse hatch of small white mayflies were observed. I pounded away at the Kempfield with hoppers, then a stimulator with a soft hackle dropper. Just a handful of rises were seen over several hours. Then I finished with a hour at the upper trestle pool. The two rocks were one foot out of the water, Ken, but no rises were visible. Walked back along the tracks at dusk and nothing was happening. I felt lucky just to nab a few fallfish and smallies all day. There were a couple of other fly fishers out, and maybe they did better. Probably one of those days where you have to land a woolly bugger right on their noses.

Oh well, I'm glad I got out before the water came up again. It is back to 700 cfs at Erving.

Peter

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Peter,

Don't give up. We all have those days!

Will,

The best time of the year is coming up!!!
Have you hung your tree stands yet??

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I see that the Millers is UP to its old tricks again.

GW