Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Seed Bead Heads, Partridge and Magic Orange, Big Bows And Food

"The future isn't what it used to be" -  Yogi Berra


I can't seem to leave well enough alone - I'm always fiddling around with fly patterns and new materials usually with the result being a different profile to the fly while still making it look like a real insect instead of am attractor fly. Seed Beads, a mainstay in jewelry manufacturing, filled the bill.
Just march into a Michael's Craft store and head for jewelry making. You will see vials of different colored plastic beads (pretty much weightless) and then pick out a color. I picked Olive. Size 11/0 pretty much works for sizes 14 through 18. Flies tied with these beads give us a true profile that nymphs have without the heavy attractor bead and they will not be getting you down into the weeds which is what you don't want! Like the soft hackle family they are the perfect low water fly!!

The Partridge and Magic Orange has been my top fly on the Swift within the past week with a size 16 taking top honors. As I stated in my last post you can order Partridge and Orange flies from me and then send an email with the words "Magic Orange" and I'll send you the real thing.

There has been a rash of break-offs by monster bows on the Swift lately. A client broke off three last Wednesday evening and David said he lost four on Sunday. Both of these gentlemen are accomplished anglers and were not using ultralight tippet material. The top photo is of a rainbow that was in the 20 inch range that I managed to put into the net only to break off the next large bow.


I love chicken in all of its forms and it just seems best when it's paired with garden grown summer vegetables.  Cooking this is easy: take some boneless chicken thighs seasoned with pepper and throw them on a hot grill just to sear the outside. Then transfer to a skillet in the kitchen and toss in some zucchini strips, thinly sliced carrots strips, thinly sliced onion, some tomato wedges, one thinly sliced potato (like the thickness of a potato chip), a few chick peas, season with anything you like (I like pepper) and then cover and cook slowly. When it's almost done toss in some baby spinach and let it wilt.

Ken


13 comments:

DS said...

What size tippet were they using? Lighter than 6x? I don't really fish the Swift anymore, but I can understand how the clear water and pressured fish could make people be willing to try 7x.

The most recent Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast has the Keep Em Wet expert mention that fight time is by far the least important factor when it comes to fish mortality. Which makes me want to use 6x more, especially for dry flies, even if the fight takes longer.

The only problem with a longer fight is that it gives the fish more time to throw the fly. But I've started using the George Daniels technique of keeping a low rod tip to the water for most of the fight to keep the fish relaxed and deep and avoid having it thrash at the surface, which is when a big fish can become unhooked. I recommend it!

Bigdawg said...

I had a large bow break the line on the swift Sat ... you are making me feel better!

Sam said...

I love the looks of that weightless bead head as well as the chicken and fixings in the pan. I am like you, Ken, I enjoy chicken in all forms or preparation. One of my favorites is off cooking on the grill those chicken thighs with seasoning salt for about a half hour at 350. Skin is crispy as can be and quite tasty.

No big boys were active in the Bondsville area last night, at least that I could entice. However, I saw a brook trout come all the way out of the water to grab a hovering dragonfly. My cue to tie on a large dry fly and have some fun which I did.

It sure gets dark early already. Fishing prospects after work are coming to an end, but I may have to sneak out a bit early from time to time.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DS,

One was using 5x. I seldom go smaller than that with subsurface flies on any river, even the swift. I find dead trout below the tree pool and I know what the cause of death is: played to death with 7 or 8x.

Daniels idea is, in my opinion, nonsense! That's "playing with" your fish instead of "playing" your fish. I want my trout to thrash on the surface because it does tire them out quickly with a shorter fight followed by a quick release. One must use their rod as a DRAG SYSTEM by letting it flex and bed with the pull of the fish. That's Lee Wulff's opinion. Keeping the rod tip "low rod tip to the water" prolongs the fight!!

Ken

JonBoxboro said...

Ken,
Other than yourself, I took a trip out to Colorado this year to the South Platte River with a guide. One big difference with the trout is how hard the wild trout fight. In Colorado on my own, I had my 5x tippet break 4 times before landing them. With the Guide, his setup was to use the drag on the reel, then over two days and over 20 fish only 2 break offs.

The key set your drag relatively strong, stay level with the fish, rod tip high. Whenever the fish gives you some slack reel in some line, if they want line let them take line. As the fight ensues and your have them on a run or two, I then do the George Daniel technique of keep ing the rod tip low, that gets them to the net quicker (The idea being, fish don't like being pulled out of the water).

Prior to going to Colorado, I never used the drag on my reel in the Swift. I don't usually need it on the Swift, but for the 20 inchers it comes in "reel" handy.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jonathan,

I always use the drag when a fish runs and I keep the rod tip high, just like you but I would never use the Daniels technique. Too much of a chance of the fish wrapping the leader around an obstacle.

Sam,

Yes, it is getting dark earlier and I hate it!!!

Ken

Mike said...

Its amazing how long it takes for the Millers to recede after a heavy rain. So much runoff in that area. Its no wonder, the Army Corps of Eng built the Quabbin there, its a perfect watershed.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Michael,

None of the Millers Watershed water comes to the Quabbin. That's all Chicopee water but back in the 1950's there was a study to pipe Millers water into the Quabbin. It got shelved because the Millers was too polluted.

Ken

Dave P said...

Argh, the Millers isn't coming down at all! I'm going to be out there in a week for several days, so I'm doing my No-Rain Dance!
Cheers,
David

Gary said...

Well the water is and was high just about everywhere except that mass gem the Swift. 51 cfs, got there around 7, 3 cars at rte 9,1 at the pipe. So down to tree pool 3rd cast nice brookie plus 2 more all fooled with a #14 hi-float caddis. Quit at 10 it was fillin up. Observation,there's a lot of big bows in that pool only ones bitin though were right at the pipe.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary & David,

The Millers is at 3140 as I write. The record for the day, September 21, is 17,000 cfs which occurred during the Hurricane of 1938,80 years ago today!!!

The EB is at 529 and is almost fishable. This weekend for sure.

Ken

Gary said...

EB was fishable this morning in certain places, I stayed close to the banks streamer fishing and fooled a nice bow out in the faster water using a #10 streamer of my own design. I was under dressed though so the rain and 51 degrees got to me so I left around 9 (wimp).

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

WIMP???? You always wade WET!!!!! That's not wimpish!

Ken