Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Looking For Browns


(g) Swift River: From the Windsor Dam to the Rte. 9 bridge crossing. In addition to the provisions of 321 CMR 4.01(2)(a), fly fishing only is permitted on the Swift River between Windsor Dam and the Rte. 9 crossing. All anglers must use a conventional fly rod and fly line. -  Ma. DFW Regulations: Tenkara and tight line nymphers beware!!!   


                                                               Can You See Him?
The Rainbows of the Pipe and the Y Pool swim in wide open areas  during broad daylight. They will let you break the current for them and have been known to swim between your boots. In short, they are accustomed to us. They provide sport which is important.  Browns are different. Browns don't trust us! They like to hide next to logs and weeds and undercut banks. A bright sunny day will just turn them off.  Clouds and drizzle work fine and night is even better. They are my favorite trout.




They saved trout fishing in the Eastern U.S. 130 years ago when transplanted from Scotland and Germany by filling the void left by our brook trout and in fact populated rivers or sections of rivers that had never or seldom had trout. (The Millers may have been one of these). They established themselves nicely in their new home and grew bigger and faster than the brookies did. They were also blamed for preying on brook trout populations, a fact that we tend to celebrate on the Swift today.

I think it is safe to say that the browns have established themselves in more streams and rivers than the rainbow has, at least in Massachusetts. Two thirds of the trout that are stocked in this State are rainbows but they don't reproduce well (sterile females?). Every once and awhile we get a few 5 inch bows over a short period of time in the Swift but they are always 5 inches not 3 to 6 inches which would be evidence of some year classes (like the brookies) and not just escapees from the same tank.  It's a different story with the browns. I've caught them from 3 inches to 6 inches in the Swift and in the Millers.  Not a lot but enough to prove a point.
Browns like places that a lot of nymphing fly fishers don't like to fish - slow current, lots of trout cover, (weeds and wood), undercut banks (as in the photo) and overhanging trees. All of this will make your garden variety tightline nympher head for the hills or the nearest safe and civilized riffle. Fans of brown trout search these wild places out.  I have fished this one section of the Millers that is a pile of rocks and logs and brown trout AND HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER ANGLER THERE. I don't think I ever will!!!


Last, but not least, the brown is wired to feeding on the surface. Sure, you can bounce a rainbow warrior off it's nose and he might snap at it but the real fun is to take a sub #18 dry and follow that slow deliberate rise to that magic moment.  As friend Matt said after releasing an 18 inch brown from a size 18 dry "Sure you can fish a subsurface fly but why would you?"

Browns are magic!  They make you work for them.  Browns are my favorite trout!  I like brook trout too but.......

Blue Wing Olives

It has been a great Autumn for this mayfly on the Swift.  I've heard tales of size 30 and 32 BWO but size 22 and 24 emerger flies have done very well.  The fly?? A BWO emerger tied like a Wyatt's DHE but with snowshoe hair or slate grey post wing material for the wing.  The rear of the body sinks but the wing keeps it in the surface film. It is a killer!  If the Millers comes down it will be my fly like it was last Autumn but the Millers has to come down for that dainty morsel to be used.

Ken













7 comments:

Paul said...

Ken,
I hooked the brown of my life on Friday afternoon! The river was absolutely packed from the Pipe all the way down to Cady Lane, but virtually no one was fishing the gauge run from the Parking lot to the Pipe. So, I worked downstream swinging flies and while I saw a number of nice fish, little brookies were the rule. For my last hour from 2-3pm I worked back up stream casting an emerger and a pinhead under a wool indicator. This set up has all the feel and casting ability of a dry/dropper combo, but allows for easier depth control.

I was down to my last 15 minutes of fishing and had worked my way back up the head of the run when I decided to switch to a barbless,jig head orange hot spot pheasant tail. I had spotted a large brown about 20-25 ft upstream sitting on top of the gravel in maybe 12 inches of water. I cast a few feet upstream and watched this brown dart to the left to grab the nymph and then dear God, it took off like a torpedo. It was moving water like I've never seen. That run was followed by two jumps with violent head shakes and then, holy crap it started running full speed down stream right for me and I had to strip line like a mad man to stay tight. There was a guy on the bank watching this whole scene and we were both in awe of the power of this fish. The fish made did another nice jump down stream. After about 5 minutes of this, the fish settled into a holding pattern. I was able to shorten up the line so that I only had a foot of fly line plus 8-9 feet of leader. We were able to admire this beautiful fish for the next 5 minutes of essentially a stalemate. I was close enough to count every bright red spot on its body, but he would not let me bring him any closer than a rod's length. This was a big male with a really prominently defined hooked kype. The guy on the bank estimated the fish was 26-28". Since I was closer, it looked more like 28" to me. I'm righty, and when I switched the rod to my left hand to try to grab a camera, I struggled to hold it steady and decided that was not a good idea - one run in that position and I would certainly lose the fish.

I felt as though this stalemate could have gone on for awhile, so I decided I needed to at least try to net this fish, but of course few of us carry nets expecting to catch fish that size. I tried to get the fish above me, lift and scoop and probably predictably, the fish scooted left, did a U turn and ping.....my line snapped. Too bad, but I felt lucky to hook it and "play" with it for as long as I did. It is fish that I will never forget....and that I could not stop talking about all night long. Other than a bigger net, I'm not sure what I could have done differently to land this beast.

So yes, the big browns are definitely in town. Whether you use a dry or a nymph being able to target and hook a fish of that size and beauty is a thrill. BTW, the picture in your note has been my favorite spot the last two weeks on both dries and emergers. The area both just above and just below that tree.

Paul

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

I know that fish and worked him last Sunday and saw him again Wednesday. My companion, a big brown expert, guessed 28 inches and 8 to 10 lbs. His girl friend is still there. Glad you experienced him. BTW, buy a bigger net!!!!!

Ken

BrownMasterD. said...

Congratulations Paul, Giant Browns are so much fun on the fly. Whether landed or not, praying that the Swift’s natural reproduction capabilities continue to expand. Would rather catch and release in my beloved home state of Massachusetts. Instead of going to Pulaski’s Famous Salmon River and her Tributaries. When I just can’t take the crazy crowds or Mania, which are both apparently factors on the Swift during peak Season. What weight was your Fly Rod?? Mine was a 4 wt. and the Brown broke the reel, stripping me into secondary backing. Same scenario with the net, caught mine between my legs and beached him. Too Cool!!!!!!


Will

Sam said...

Congrats to Paul on connecting with that huge brown. Just getting it that close to the net is a great accomplishment.

June 2017 I was fishing Bondsville on a dank and drizzly day. I cast a pair of nymphs into the corner of where a brush pile met the bank. Nymphs hit the water and I start stripping them in and immediately get a hit. That brown was off to the races going back and forth between two brush piles. I felt like I was getting the upper hand when it starts running right at me same as Paul described.

Problem was I had underwater wood between the trout and me. I did all I could to keep the trout up high, but there was no chance of that. It goes underneath the wood and I am tangled up but good. I saw the trout in front of me shaking its head to get rid of the fly and I started going upstream to try and untangle the leader, but all of a sudden I saw the trout break the 5X and swim away.

Nowhere near as big as what Paul connected with, but I would say a solid 3 or 4 pounder. The power is unbelievable.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Bondsville has to be the toughest place to land a big fish that wants to bury his head into the rocks and logs. There are reports of big browns all over this river!!!

Ken

Sam said...

It is tough all right, Ken, but the challenge and the fun is just great. Not much action yesterday, but as it got dark, for a lark I tied on a #14 Ausable Wulff that floats like crazy plus I can see the white wings.

Tossed into a slower pocket within a fast run, I kept the drag off the fly just long enough to coax a hit. Just a little sip, I was tight to a big rainbow that fought like crazy. Like you, I don't try to over play trout, but every time I got that trout close, off it went on another line stripping run. 5X and the old 5W Fenwick finally prevailed and a hefty 18 incher came to net. I have no way of knowing, but I believe that trout has been swimming in there for a good while.

Best, Sam

Paul said...

Ken, I think BrownMasterD asked about what rod I was using.

I was fishing a Thomas and Thomas 8', 5wt. called the "heirloom" which is a fiberglass rod. It seemed to hold up pretty well considering. Interestingly, I had my drag set pretty tight and never came close to getting into my backing.

Thanks for the comments from everyone and I love hearing similar stories. It really is amazing how vividly these special fish stick with you for ever!

Paul