Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Stocking Update, River Update AND Book Me


Adipose fin clipped trout were stocked  by the Y Pool last week.  Make a note of any caught anywhere on the Swift and then email me.  - Ken

"For the moment at least, we fall into that class of fishermen who fancy themselves to be poet/philosophers, and from that vantage point we manage to pull of one of the neatest tricks in all of sport: the fewer fish we catch the more superior we feel"
- John Gierach


Conventional wisdom would say that the DFW would not stock the Millers with this high flow but they would be dead wrong. As in the past (I have a lot of experience here) the DFW NEEDS to stock trout and they generally have a two week window to do this and they will do it come hell or high water during this Fall season. This has happened before. As I write the Millers is chugging along at 1250 cfs which is not safe for wading but the flow is trending down and barring rain it will continue to drop. 700 cfs will get you into the Millers below Holtshire bridge but be carefull.





The EB

At a flow of 574 cfs at 6am today this river can be carefully waded but not CROSSED!!Wait until the flow is below 350. As with the Millers the EB has been running high during the stocking and that will spread the fish out WHICH IS A VERY GOOD THING!!! Over the last three years we have had very low autumn flows which yielded big catches but far from pleasurable fishing. (like shooting fish in a barrel).

Fly Selection

You know the drill here. Freshly stocked trout = any fly works especially if it's weighted.

The Swift

This river has been the only river to wade safely over the past three weeks. The number of Connecticut plates in the parking areas was proof of that. It was stocked from Ware to Palmer with a decent number of trout.



You will have crowds as you already know so spread out. Try Cady Lane if you haven't already and keep an eye out for brook trout. They seem pretty scarce this year.  In fact, email me if you catch any!!!




Book Me

My calendar is filling up but I still have choice slots available.


Ken


8 comments:

Millers River Flyfisher said...


Michael Levine,
Ken, am I reading this right? I see 245 at latest value? (Ware River) Might take a shot tomorrow. Mike


Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

You are right - 245 cfs

Ken

T Neale said...

Ventured out on the Millers off of Gulf Rd. this evening, between 4-6. The gauge at Birch Hill Dam was reading 477 cfs. Add in all the streams and brooks that flow into the Millers and it's more like 520-540 cfs for this stretch. The stocking report indicates that Brownies were stocked on the 5th.

Figured I would throw an olive and black Bugger due to the high flow. Did not disappoint. Managed to bring in three Browns with an additional two releases just at netting. All of this action was in First and Second Run.

Just before I was getting off of the river I noticed some surface action at the bottom of Second Run on river right (looking down stream). Looked to be a two tailed "spinner" if I'm using the term correctly. Light brown in color. Struggling with identifying and matching.

All in all a good evening.

Sam said...

Fishing Bondsville on Thursday afternoon I saw my first stocking of trout by the DFW. Truck backed in, those fellows hustled the trout into the river. I was impressed by their efforts to get them in the river as fast as they could. Before they arrived I was casting dry flies in my favorite zone and had a swing and a miss from a hold over from the spring, but action was over after the stocking.

The newly stocked trout were a thing to behold jumping all over the place, probably wondering where the tank walls were that they had been raised in. I talked to the fellows who put the trout in and they were very personable, telling me about trout tracking projects the DFW is pursuing, along with their upcoming assignment of stocking pheasants. They were familiar with places I used to hunt, but are either posted now or have houses nearby.

I stung a few of the stocked trout, but not many. Next day in that zone I fished above where they stocked and netted a very nice brown trout that sipped an Ausable Wulff. Nothing much doing this evening, but a nice brook trout took a Usual dry fly and with that I called it a night.


Millers River Flyfisher said...

Todd,

May have been a cream cahill.

Sam,

Caught trout at the Y Pool that had clipped adipose fins. Check and see if yours do too.

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - Why do we care about the clipped adipose fin? Are they tracking something?

I went to the Nissitissit and caught a bunch of stockers and one spring rainbow. The water was high, but wadeable.

Pat said...

I fished the EB on Sunday evening. The flow was very manageable. I was off the beaten path so I didn't run into any stockers but landed a fat 15 inch rainbow that fell for a dead drifted bugger. I picked up a smaller rainbow in the main branch on our way home as well. Things should continue to fish well late into the fall.

Gary said...

Well usually on columbus day I am part of the 3 ring circus on the salmon river in pulaski ny. But this year I delayed my trip up there for a week or two, so I was on the EB this holiday monday where I ran into an old friend and fooled 2 beautiful browns both with a #12 leech pattern. Both these browns have been in the river for awhile and it took some work to get them, they are still there and waitin for you.