Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Big Brookies

Hi Ken - 

Was out on the swift for a bit Monday and had some luck with your partridge and orange size 16. There were 4 cars where we usually meet so I tried up at the Y pool and got one bow at the log just before the pool and then another in the pool. Never would have had the knowledge or the confidence to do this without your helpful teaching - much appreciated and many thanks !  - Client Comment


The Swift brookies seem larger this year with two in the 12 inch plus range plus other large brookies being spotted. The run hasn't reached Rt 9 yet (I have spies there) but it will. Remember, STAY OFF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!!

The brookie in the net was taken with a size 26 BWO snowshoe emerger. There has been a large steady hatch of this insect over the last few weeks with duns running down to size 30 (they say). I think that they are larger than that and I've been using 26 and 28 size flies and catching fish. Size 24 in that pattern took an 18 inch brown and hooked a larger one that threw the hook for my client. Dry fly fishing in October??  Don't miss it.

Some don't like fishing over these tiny flies but it is really a blast and a challenge. You should try it!!!


The "Other" Rivers



Just as soon as things were getting good the rains will come again. The EB is at 399 as of 7am 11/1 and will go up by tomorrow evening and then rise some more on Saturday. The Ware is at 288 and that will increase. The Millers? Forgetaboutit!!! The EB and Ware should be fishable by next Tuesday!  The Swift, as usual, knows how to behave with a nice skinny flow of 50 cfs.





The BWO Emerger

The magic is in the wing material because it will float the front of the fly while the back end sinks. I will use snowshoe hair OR very fine wing post material.  Olive thread and light olive dubbing for the thorax right down to size 28 and then no thorax on smaller sizes.  They are easy to tie but a bitch to tie to the leader in low light!


Happy November

Ken










10 comments:

Gary said...

Fooled 2 nice bows (deep colors) on the EB this morning with a #10 pats rubber legs. Water flow was quick,yes around 400cfs so fishable and only 2 cars on the river I saw no anglers. Saw my 1st Massachusetts coyote, impressive only about 20 yards away, he went his way I went mine.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

I feel a bit bad about chasing the native brook trout on the Swift and not working the EB (up to a point). I'll work the Eb in the next week and maybe you can fish the Swift with me (maybe). let me know!

Ken

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about tying on small eyed flies. I have resorted to a flip focal on my hat and don't go fishing without it!

Sam said...

I sure miss fishing due to work duties, but will keep tuning into your posts, Ken to remind me I will fish again and what flies might work.

A beautiful brook trout pictured in the net. They sure are something this time of year. Nothing like connecting on top. That emerger will certainly get the job done.

Best Regards, Sam

Theo said...

Ken

Have you tied on a Gamakatsu C12-BM? Tiny midge hook with extra large eye.

https://www.gamakatsu.com/product/c12-bm-barbless-midge-large-eye/

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I bring 3x reading glasses when I fish.

Theo,

Yes, I have and now they are gone. They work really well.

Sam,

I hope you get out before the snow flies!!

Ken

Paul said...

Ken,
Thursday afternoon on the Swift was warmer and more active than Wednesday. Had luck with an egg pattern in shallow water at head of gauge run and again for a brief visit to the pipe. Both were nice rainbows and hit an egg dropper off a pheasant tail beadhead with a subtle orange in thorax. BWO hatch was on and moved downstream to the stretch leading to Cady Lane. Lots of Brookies (nothing too large), browns and rainbows sipping emergers. Switched up to tiny emerger patterns ( unfortunately your SH BWOs had not arrived yet)and eventually hooked a nice brown on a 24 or 26 BWO pattern. I got lots of looks, but it is so critical to get a perfect, slack free, drift free presentation. Takes lots of practice to make that happen with 8x. What tippet size do you go down to with #26 flies? Finished at the bubbler arm which had lots of rainbows in the both the shallow tail end as well as deeper runs up above. Had a couple of fat, high energy bows ( adipose fin intact) on a dropper black midge with a little flash that my son Ben had tied which was the first time I'd fished with one of his flies! It's fun day when you fish until you can't see in front of you!
Paul

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

When fishing subsurface flies on the Swift I will use 5x or sometimes 6x regardless of the size fly. I know of skilled flyfishers who use 5x on size 28 and 30 subsurface flies and they catch trout. With size 26 DRY FLIES I rely on 6x and for size 30 it's 7x. Basically it's dry fly size x 4 for the tippet. It works for me. I spit on the first 12 inches of tippet to make it sink (it works). Met Ben about a week or so ago and it was a pleasure!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Don’t think the Catch & Release spawning Redds are ruined at all. Still multiple Brookies back in that stretch, between the Duck Pond and Caddy lane holes. Just surprised to hear anyone say that is all. Native Brookies are gorgeous, taken notes that they really love faster current breaks. Those Redds are still active, not as productive as two Summers Eve ago. Please don’t write them off and walk all over them. I live for Wild Brook Trout!



Brook Trout Fanatic

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Brook Trout Fanatic,

We were not talking about "between the Duck Pond and Cady Lane holes". We were talking about the big flat gravel stretch just below the Duck Pond, that's it. It was the biggest spawning bed 2, 3 and 4 years ago. Last year it was algae/weed covered with NO BROOK TROUT. Brook trout need CLEAN gravel to spawn.

Ken