Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, November 12, 2018

The Salmon Are Back And A Mystery Fly

"Flyfishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with conflicting aesthetic considerations.  It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." - John Gierach

You knew it was going to happen on the Swift as soon as the overflow started. Surface swimming LL Salmon would follow the current over the spillway and end up in the Y Pool just as in the Autumn of 2011.  I first saw evidence this past Wednesday as huge fish (bigger than the usual trout) began to bat around the Y. I got this photo from reader Hunter of this fish that the angler thought was a large brown.  It isn't!  Sunday my client and I cast for about an hour for some HUGE fish that were cruising the surface with HUGE dorsal fins that reminded me of sharks.

Back in 2011 we caught these fish on everything from tiny smelt streamers to hares ear nymphs right down to a size 30 larvae patterns.  One particular streamer pattern was the Goldie.  Contact Dan Trella for details.

The Swift flow is 192 cfs as I write on 11/12 at 5:45 am and with Tuesdays rain it will continue to go up.  The Bubbler Arm will be a sanctuary for trout hunters because that flow will not be effected by the spillway.  The PIPE is half submerged and may go underwater for the first time in about 4 years.  It appears that the usual brookie spawning spots are effected by this extreme flow.  I know of two spots that have not been effected (that means lots of spawning trout) but I will not fish them this year under these conditions.


Brookies And Blue Wings

 The incredible BWO hatch down in Cady Lane continues unaffected by the rising water. Yesterday around 1pm the water was littered with thousands of size 26ish mayflies which didn't give a damn about rising water or the cold wind/temperatures. Now, this area is fairly empty of it's larger brookies that have headed off upstream to the dance leaving the sub 6 inch fish to provide some entertainment.  THERE ARE THOUSANDS of these fish in that area which bodes well for the future. The question is: where were they last Summer???


Name That Fly


I got this email from reader David L. this weekend:
Hi Ken, 
What is this cone head streamer thing? I pulled it out of a tree while rescuing my own fly on trophy stretch of upper Connecticut. I have since caught several huge fish on it. Good down deep in big water conditions. Can't figure out how to buy more.
Any help appreciated. Couldn't figure out how to post the picture in your blog to get reader help. 
Lets solve this mystery!!!


Next Post: River Wrap Up!

Ken





19 comments:

Brendan said...

That fly looks like a Motto's Minnow in the dark/brown color scheme. Although the 50 cfs makes for reliable/predictable fishing on the Swift, I've always found the river at it's most interesting when the spillway is flowing. Looking forward to the rest of this fall and winter, the additional challenges and, hopefully, rewards.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ken, The fly looks like an AuSable Ugly tied by the infamous

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I don't think so BUT I might be wrong BUT I don't think so!

Brendan,

Well, you got your wish. I like 50 cfs because it is more difficult and challenging than 2 or 3 times that flow. Also the dry fly fishing is better when the flow is low.

Ken

DS said...

That fly could be a Soft Hackle/Marabou Streamer similar to those tied by SS flies in Maine with the conehead - https://www.ssflies.com/product.php?p=112

Anonymous said...

What I do is take pictures and carefully deconstruct the fly to find out the materials used and the sequence they are tied.

Kaz said...

Hey Ken,

Early Sunday morning I was on the Swift and at the curve/bend before the straight shoot to the Y-pool, I came across 2-3 pairs of huge fish. The largest looking like 8-10 pounds in 30 inch range. The big guy was paired up with a smaller female, and there were a couple other pairs of not as big, but still huge fish. The female was spawning/fluttering into the gravel and laying down eggs (I asssume because the rainbows we’re going crazy behind her as the bigger male chased them away). I was able to catch two rainbows on micro eggs behind the female spawning. Couldn’t get a look with anything from either bigger fish. Now my question is, were these fish the huge browns you say that live in the Swift, or could they have been the LL Salmon. The picture you posted of the salmon really looked like these fish, but I couldn’t imagine the salmon coming over and spawning on beds right away or at all (do they?).

Thanks,
Kaz

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Kaz,

Those were most likely browns. I saw that activity with an 8 to 10lb male brown with a smaller (4-5lb) female brown two weeks ago. The female was digging a redd. I think the salmon might still be too shook up after going over Niagara Falls!

Anonymous,

I don't think the comment came from a fly tyer so deconstruction is out. All he could provide was the photo.

DS,
We'll look it up!

Ken

Dave P said...

Hi, Ken,

What are the features of the fish in that picture that distinguish it as a salmon rather than a brown?

Thanks,
Dave

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

We are entering the world of taxidermy with that question. The main differences are in the head and in the tail. The salmon has a slightly forked tail (Caudal fin). The other difference is in the teeth. I've caught and seen salmon that have the color of an old brown but some are silvery especially in the Spring. People do confuse the two but once you've had a LL on the line you will know the difference.

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I just came back from the Swift. I caught a couple very nice Rainbows on a 26 BWO nymph trailed behind an egg pattern. I fished above rte 9. The Brookies really haven't started going yet.

Brown trout have halos around their spots, while LLS do not. Brown trout are square tailed and LLS are forked. Also, LLS tend to have fewer spots and they look less circular. Both will be sort of golden colored this time of year.

I too found those huge fish finning and "spawning" at the cable pool. Now I also noticed a lot of people casting to them. If you are right, and they are Browns, they are huge, but people shouldn't try to catch them. I think, however, that they are LLS and they too are spawning (still shouldn't disturb them). That said, 2011 was a great year and I took at 27 inch LLS on small dry I won't forget in late December. Remember the LLS will stay around for a while. I hope more come over. These seemed to be very large fish. I also hiked up the spillway looking for dead LLS, a sure sign they are coming over as many don't survive. I didn't find any. Could be an exciting fall/winter here.

Also, please be wary of Redds and know the difference between Redds and areas where people just walk a lot. Sometimes they are same place!! Most people, and it was packed today, were positioned about 5 feet from the fish they were casting to. A lot of Brookies spawn right on the edges where everyone walks to in order to get there.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew (Falsecast),

The Swift just crested 200 cfs so more salmon will come until their wondering urge is over.

I've been sounding the alarm for spawning brook trout this year because although a few places are packed with them they just don't have the wide spread distribution or years past. Also, this high water isn't going to help them spawn. In the past you could fish over them and not do any damage. This year....?

Again folks, walk on land, walk on debris or walk on weeds BUT don't walk on gravel!!

Ken

John said...

I don't know what's more surprising -- that salmon being caught in the Swift or the guy who took the screenshot having 2 bars of LTE service with Cricket Wireless....

Millers River Flyfisher said...

John Robinson,

I don't understand. please elaborate! Is there something amiss? I need to know.

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- I've caught some landlocked salmon in Pittsburg, NH and they had a much more silvery color than the fish in the picture. When I have had some luck with them it was in the summer and the spring so that may be why the salmon I have caught looked different. To me that fish looks like a brown that has been in those waters for a long time.

Hockey

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hockey,

LL Salmon go from silver in the Spring/Summer to brownish in the Fall. Caught one today about 2 feet long and he was brownish.

Ken

hockey_dad said...

Ok, I've learned something. Thanks !

John said...

Ken --

Nothing amiss! Just too much of an inside joke. Cricket is AT&T's budget service that's known for slower service. The image showed his service and connection. I should just stick to fishing comments! And on that note, what would you say is the highest fishable flow for the EB? It's roaring right now after yesterday's soaker, and another storm slated for Friday, although maybe just light snow. Was planning to hit it this weekend if the flows come down enough to avoid the crowds chasing those salmon at the Swift....

Millers River Flyfisher said...

John,

The low 500's work for me. It may hit that if we don't get drenched on Friday.

Ken

Dave P said...

I got washed out trying to fish the EB again on Monday! One for five this year, thanks to all that rain. But at least got out there one day, Ken. Can't wait to go back!

I'm grateful for all the tips about LLS vs Browns. I also read somewhere that Browns have a thicker, less tapered caudal peduncle than LLS. (Try saying "thicker, less tapered caudal peduncle" ten times fast!) Hope to hook into one of those salmon this winter!

Cheers,
David