Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, September 2, 2019

12 Biggies And Summer Is Not Over Yet And A Lost Rod

"Never Leave fish to find fish" - Moses 1200 BC
                                                                                   


12 Biggies??? That means one thing and that this month marks the 12th anniversary of this blog. It was September of 2007 when the first post hit the electronic streets, so to speak, and it's been going strong ever since. It, at first, was designed to showcase the Millers River but has now expanded to also cover the Westfield system, the Swift River and the Ware River among others. It spawned a lot of knockoffs over the years, most of which have sunk without a trace. Meanwhile, the blog and I have made it onto regional TV and national flyfishing publications. This blog has the combination of an extremely high page view count AND an extremely high number of READER COMMENTS. Without READER COMMENTS you are talking to yourself!!!!

How long will this continue? As long as it is fun to do I will continue. I can do another 12 years easy!!!

End of Summer????
I hate it when people refer to Labor Day as the end of Summer. If anything it's the zenith of Summer for all these reasons:

1. Daytime temperatures will be mostly in the 70's instead of the 80's or more.

2. Cooler days and nights mean cooler water and less evaporation.

3. Dusk comes earlier and for those who live for the evening hatch this is a bonus.

4. Water levels lend themselves to angling that requires more finesse and "trout hunting skills" than launching weighted springtime depth charges at freshly stocked trout.  This is the time of year for light rods, L O N G leaders and small flies. (exception: hoppers, beetles and ants and the great stonefly and Isonchyia hatches on the EB).  There's a lot of trout food out there but you have to be able to present it!!

In short, some of my BEST days on the Millers, Swift, EB and Ware Rivers have been in September.  Last year the BWO action on the Swift was some of the best I've ever seen!!!  So, get out and fish.

A Lost Rod

Backcast to my previous post and you will see a comment by reader BobO on a rod that was left by Route 9.  Just go to the Quabbin Park Ranger office.  They have the rod.


Ratatouille


What to do with all of the zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant that you've grown or have been gifted by generous neighbors?  Add some garlic (lots of garlic), oregano, basil, salt and pepper and cook it all down to that great Italian vegetable stew - Ratatouille!!!!  Make a lot of it, put it in freezer bags and use it in the Fall and Winter as the base for stews, sauces or all by itself.

Don't have a garden or farmer friends?  Go to the store or a farm stand. They're giving it away.

Sometimes I  add sausage to it or large chucks of a white fish such as cod and I've been known to throw in chicken.

I'll be doing some more of this before I hit the Millers tonight!!!


Ken







19 comments:

Gary said...

Tragically, summer is over for 100's of fish on the North River, thanks to a chemical leak. I noticed some of this year's chunky rainbows in the pictures, a shame.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

Not the first time that has happened on that river. It appears that company screwed up again!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks for 12 very good years and a good recipe!!!

AJR

Anonymous said...

Congrat's and thanks for a dozen years Ken. We always get a baker's dozen "little extra" from your column, and that is appreciated. On to 25 years....!

Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Thank you Jim M.

Ken

Hibernation said...

Congrats on the long run with the Blog Ken! Appreciate the intel and the shared knowledge of the "community" of posters here.

Good fall fishing conditions for sure!

Paul said...

Ken,
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't look forward to checking in on your blog regardless of whether or not I am planning an outing to a river! I love reading about your (and your commenters) latest adventures, observations and teachings. I dare say that I and I'm sure many other readers are hooked on what you have created! Keep up the good work and thank you.

I've been away from fresh water FF for the last month or so as I was occasionally plying the waters of Ipswich bay for stripers. Got some schoolies on the fly and also managed a day of true monsters off Rockport with Cap'n Eliot Jenkins of Greasy Beaks. Ken, if you ever need a fun day on the salt (albie season is upon us....he does a great job and I can connect you guys).

That said, I finally got to the Swift a few days over the last week and I would 100% agree with point #4 above. I spent most of one day downstream of Cady Lane playing with the brookies. What a blast watching them hit hoppers - they strike and fight way above their weight class and just have so much spirit. My face hurt from smiling so much as I watched one after another aggressively attack terrestrial offerings. On another outing, I concentrated on the "tweener" zone between Cady Lane and the pipe and then between the pipe and the gauge. While I only netted 4-5 good sized rainbows, presentation was KEY - no drag allowed! I was also very surprised to catch most of them close the river edge in 12 inches of water, often over scoured sand/gravel bottom. My son and I fished through the rain yesterday both below and above rte 9 and while the action was slow, presentation had to be perfect. The rain stopped around 4ish pm and as the sun broke through, the surface action picked up. While we couldn't figure what they were hitting, there must have been lots of food in the water - we saw a number of very actively feeding rainbows.
Best,
Paul

John Strucker said...

Congratulations on 12 years, Ken!
When I was new to the Westfield system 5 years ago, your blog was incredibly helpful. I continue to learn from every posting, and I read your blog regularly as part of my daily routine.
Many thanks and best wishes for another 12,
John

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Hibernation,

Thank you for being a long time reader and contributor!

Paul,

Thank you for reading this blog AND for sharing the action that you and your son had on the Swift. Your comments are always welcome!

John Strucker,

And I thank you for your readership and for fishing the Westfield system. One is in another world when one is on the Westfield!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Just wanted to thank you for the blog. I just discovered it two months ago, and the Swift, last year. I wish I had known about both earlier. I live in Boston and I love the Deerfield, but it's a hike for me to get out there, so I often hit the Swift as its an hour closer. This year I've fished below Rte 9 and really enjoy the area between there and "the Pipe," as well as the area below the Pipe (I don't like fishing in crowds).

Congrats on 12 years and please keep posting: people like me REALLY rely on it for information. Your tips are excellent.
Tom

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous (Tom),

You really hit a home run with that last paragraph. Thank you!!!

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I echo the sentiment of the others who posted above. What a resource your site is and I wish you many more years of fishing and writing. Hardly a day goes by that I don't read your articles or the comments from your posters. They are a great resource as well. A fine community you have created here.

Sam

Phil Ritucci said...

Ken,
Congrats to 12 excellent years! This is the best site to go to for info on all of these beautiful rivers. Please keep this thing going for many,many more!! Not only this is great, but you are a great guy!! It has been a pleasure to have gone out with you numerous times, thanks for the tips and tricks you have showed me.
Fished the Swift on Saturday and it was a weird day, landed a bunch of bows but everything was on size 24 or smaller nymphs and emergers, couldn’t get anything with terrestrial or dries.
Thanks again!

Falsecast said...

Hey there Ken! Wow- has it been 12 years! It might have been that first year that I met you. Congratulations on the success of this blog and your guiding business. You are an excellent angler. You might have slipped into the best "retirement" someone could have. I enjoy reading your posts and, as you point out, the great comments from readers.

BTW, I had a little adventure/slight panic on Swift the other day I feel I should warn you all about. I frequently walk over the crib dam when the water is low. I was wet wading and the wood gave way and went right through to my knee with my sandal getting wedged in. It took me a solid 10 mins to pull it out without breaking my leg and I ripped my Simms wading sandal cord pulling it out. Luckily it wasn't with a higher flow. I came close the dreaded "HELP, anyone out there" moment, but it all worked out with a few scratches. Watch out for it if you also go over it. I am going to go around in the future. :)
Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Thank you!

Phil Ritucci,

Thank you! It is the time of year for the tiniest of flies and although some don't do too well with them you are getting it done!

Falsecast (Andrew),

Yes, 12 years and I think you've been here since the "early years". Keep your comments coming! The Crib Dam - It's at least a 150 years old and made out of logs which will eventually rot. I've always walked around it. Every so often there's a "movement" to remove the dam. I hope they never do. It would improve access to the stretch and I wouldn't like that.

Ken

Mike Z said...

Hi Ken - im new to the swift / millers system this year and the posts AND comments are incredible. look forward to another fall trip with you. thank you :-) to another 12 and more. Mike Z

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike Z,

Let's do it!!!

Ken

Dave P said...

Happy anniversary, Ken! Truly a great blog that has been enormously important to me, as a beginning fly fisher trying to get my legs under me. You've created a great community of anglers who care about the rivers, the fish, and each other. Huzzah!
David

Jim W said...

Ken,
Congratulations on the anniversary!
I noticed a new parking area on the west side of Ware River on Church st,
do you know if this is public ? Looks like its in conjunction with a bike path or hiking trail along the river that has just been built. Jim