Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Things I'd Like To See Go Away

Then in the mid-70s my interests began to shift back to simpler, more impressionistic patterns; flies that suggested insects or baitfish in general, flies tied with soft fibers that would move in the current like a living insect or baitfish. It was at this time that I tied the first Sparrow and other flies utilizing the soft aftershaft feathers found on a pheasant; also the Soft Hackle Streamer which (when you look at it closely) is simply a traditional soft hackle wet fly tied with a much longer marabou hackle thus allowing it to suggest a baitfish. About this time that I became friends with Sylvester Nemes, whose book rekindled my interest in the traditional soft-hackle wet fly. Since then I always carry a selection of traditional (and some not-so-traditional) soft-hackle wet flies with me wherever I fish. The late, great Jack Gartside

When you've been writing a fly fishing blog for 12 years and fly fishing for going on a half century (yikes) you see a lot of things come and go. Some things earn a place in our arsenal of equipment and others pop back up every decade or so. Here's a sample:

Junk Flies Mops, worms, green Weenies, rainbow warriors, - Upcountry Fly Shop and others call them junk flies because that's what they are - a concoction to fool freshly stocked trout. They are attractor flies that represent NOTHING alive in a trout stream and are about one step above fishing an Al's Goldfish! If you're still at the level where a good day depends on the number of fish you catch then go for it. If a good day depends on HOW you caught those fish then you have successfully evolved as a fly fisher.
(Note - a Mop Fly makes a great hellgrammite fly if tied with a gray body with the back colored brown with a sharpie. Chartreuse makes it a junk fly.)


Competitive Fly Fishing

Is it my imagination or has this activity begun to fade away?  It should fade away because fly fishing is NOT a competitive exercise.  I would guess that a fly fisher would want to get away from the competitive world of making a living and enjoy  an activity where the "trophy" is a trout and NOT A Medal around your neck.  Is it true that they stock these rivers before the event???

Gastric Lavage (stomach pumping)

Imagine a 16 inch trout sipping size 28 emergers from the film and it's been doing that for an hour. This fish has to swallow a lot of tiny insects to get what is called his caloric ration which is the amount of calories needed to maintain growth or it dies (trout don't go on diets).  Now, Mr. Flyfisher puts on a size 28 and catches that trout and then goes and empties it's stomach to see what's there.  WHY? First, you probably already know what's there because you caught the trout. Second, you stole a good portion of that trout's calories for the day AND you risked injuring the fish.


Now for a thing I'm glad to see




No, I don't mean fishing "built wing" wets that dominated the scene a hundred years ago.  They are a good exercise to hone your tying skills but in truth they basically represent nothing.  What I'm happy to see is the surge in two things: simple wet flies as in soft hackles AND (more importantly) the growing popularity in WET FLY TECHNIQUES.  Swinging a soft hackle that flows and moves in the current is what Jack Gartside means in the quote at the top of the post.  It's what Sylvester Nemes preached in his groundbreaking book The Soft Hackle Fly.  It is the most effective method of fly fishing because it works under any conditions.  I've been beating the drum for this technique for years.  I think it's starting to catch on.


A Traditional Wet




Not a built up quill wing but just a few wisps of bronze mallard for the wing, a tan rabbit body with ultra fine copper wire and a soft blue dun hackle.  Not a crazy colored old brookie fly but a somber and subtle brown trout fly.  It will catch trout!











Fall Stocking

Nothing on Monday

Nothing on Tuesday

Pray for rain!!

Ken




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will say that a substituting a wing of Hen Hackle for Quill works pretty good for me. Also, the ONLY junk fly I have any faith in is the Squirmy Wormy. I have put the rest of my MOP material to its intended use!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 5:18,

Hen hackle works great but only if I strip the fibers from the quill, IMO.

Ken

BobT said...

for any soft hackle junkies out there(me too)... Blue Ribbon Flies has some neat bird skins and wings that aren't too pricey currently in stock- I was out there last week swinging on the Firehole and Madison-no brutes by me but some nice wild fish landed . I am not a paid employee...just a customer.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I agree

TS

Dave P said...

We had a decent rainfall here in the east last night. Nothing out west?
Dave P.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I will check out Blue Ribbon Flies. Glad that you got to go out west!!!

Anonymous,

This is a flyfishing forum or a hardware forum.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave P,

Nothing to speak of. The Millers had a spike in the flow but that was from the dam operators playing with the flow. It is very dry.

Ken

Gary said...

The EB must have got some rain, judging by the puddles on River Road, but is still very slow. But following one of Gartsides rules for fishing success,(Fish a place where there are fish) I still fish here. I caught a nice bow around 8 o'clock and a tiger around 10. Fooled the bow with a #14 black spider in slow water and the tiger with a #10 Iso nymph in fast water, It was Grreat! (sorry). Oh and the 1st fly fisher I have seen on the river in weeks.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

That Tiger was a bonus since they can have a hard time making it through a dry Summer.

Ken

Sam said...

Good action on a partridge and orange soft hackle tonight, Ken. Fished a zone I had not fished in a good while and started off with a dry dropper set up. In the tight confines I was fishing I quickly decided to ditch the dropper. One nasty hang up in brush convinced me of that. Ditched the elk hair caddis too and tied on the soft hackle. Very subtle rises were noticed and the soft hackle tossed into the vicinity brought numerous aggressive hits.

All long distance released, but that is OK. One fish in particular was a real nice one. Felt good to have them on, and gratifying knowing they've been in there a while. May sound strange, but I almost dread fall stocking taking place and the internet following anglers that will surely follow. I like it better when fishing is generally tough, but I manage to connect with one or a few.

Best, Sam