Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, April 24, 2020

Avoiding The Crowds, Avoiding The Plague And The State Of The Rivers Again

"Nobody Goes There Anymore. It's Too Crowded" - Yogi Berra


I went to the Swift this morning (Friday) to get into some of this dry fly/nymphing action that
has taken over the Y Pool over the last week or two.  I was there twice this week, once with a client and once, for a very short time, just to scout the place out.  Lots of rising trout and lots of fly fishers.
That was to be expected since most of the trips started at mid morning.  Today I wanted something else.  So I got there around 6:30, saw no cars in the parking area and soon I had the Y to myself. Yes, there was a light rain and I think that kept the crowds sleeping in.  The short story was that I took 3 on a size 22 black and starling soft hackle in a size 22 and the rest and all the misses on size 26 brown midge larvae. I left at 10:45.  It was a good morning but not because I caught some difficult fish.  It was a good morning because I planned the trip for an early start (actually it should of been earlier) on a rainy forecast and I had SOLITUDE for most of the time. Only two showed up by 9:30. I like Gary from Westfield and old Bill R. BUT fishing alone is what I like the best.

Some may say that the midge action doesn't start till mid day. That's true in many cases but not today.  Rises were fairly sparse but I didn't care.  I would rather catch one trout alone than three with an audience.  There's just something about very early morning and as evening slides into dusk.  Both times are magic!!

If you complain about bait or lure slingers crowding you out than one can only say  that you are fishing in their territory which is most likely in close vicinity to a stocking spot because that's where they do what they call "fish'un".  Move a few hundred feet above or below the bridge, boat ramp or other convenience and you will avoid them and you'll avoid, hopefully, exposure to covid-19.

Most of my clients want SOLITUDE and I can give it to them even on a destination like the Swift.  I'll show them the famous spots on the Swift which will always be crowded but we generally leave them alone unless they are devoid of anglers.  My other rivers are easy to get lost on.   I have to laugh when I hear or read that someone has solved the EB or the Millers.  Translation - They're probably fishing the stocking spots not long after the stocking trucks have left.

Covid-19 Facts

The average age of a covid-19 fatality in Massachusetts is 81

The average age of all covid -19 cases in Massachusetts that required hospitalization is 68.

Draw your own conclusions but don't let your guard down.

The Rivers

The Millers - at 1150 and dropping 50cfs a day as long as we don't get a lot of rain.  Fishing really starts on this river for a fly fisher at 600cfs

The EB - 477 cfs but they have been playing with the flow. Personally I believe that the flow will continue to drop without rain.  477 is fishable. Quill Gordons will rule!

The Ware - Finally down to 321 and dropping.  I love that river.  Hendricksons in two weeks

The Swift - 133 and slowly rising.  Big deal! fish it anyway!!

The WB - 289cfs and that's the lowest this Spring

All of the above streams have been stocked.  Don't ask when but they have been stocked.

Ken













11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

What do you expect the water temperature to be to trigger a hendrickson hatch?

C.B.

Anonymous said...

I am now a spin fishermen mostly due to age (86). I still fish the fly rod, but only for short intervals. Casting motion has become tough on me physically. Just want to point out in the past two weeks I have been crowded out a number of times by fly fishermen. I can't get far away from access spots and need to take precautions with my age. At this point every day I can drive and fish is a gift and I am not locking myself up. Monday I will be trying to turkey hunt. Haven't missed a season in 31 years. Could be my last season, but to see the woods wake up will worth the effort. I realize I am no longer in the 4th quarter, but overtime now. I really enjoy this blog and brings me back to many fond days with the fly rod. Thanks

Millers River Flyfisher said...

CB,

52 to 54 degrees

Anonymous 7:43,

You are a fortunate man to be still at it at your age and we should all be that lucky. It would be nice if fellow flyfishers would know enough to give up a spot occasionally. I hope you do well on the hunt and I hope there's more to come.

Ken

Unknown said...

Hey Ken, Drove by the Swift yesterday,there must have been 30 vehicles on rt 9. Crazy! Chet

Brk Trt said...

Anonymous 743
God bless you my friend. You inspire me, a 74 year old.
I hope your hunt is successful.

Alan

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chet,

I went by about 2:30 and saw that used car lot. I think there were a lot more than 30! I also think that a good number of them were hikers.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

I avoided the Swift yesterday for the reasons cited above. Thought I was wise and visited the EB at the Gorge for some solitude. There had to be 25+ cars by the Trustee's building, and another dozen+ in the other parking lot by the club. Walked down about 1 1/2 miles and saw hikers/families/joggers galore - and only 3 other fishermen. Seems with our current situation the EB is somewhat of a destination for people needing to get outside. At least on a Sunday anyways. Many fave spots had people sitting and picnicking right on shore. Never saw it so crowded.

The water was a balmy 42 degrees. Checked 3 spots to be sure I read that right, and sure was. Must be a lot of snow melt and such coming down now. Water level was very nice, but just darn cold. Only one LDR hookup; but in reality felt so good to be out there (even with the hordes walking around).

Next adventure there will be during the week sometime, when hopefully the crowds aren't as evident. Also hoping for another 10 degrees in water temp in the next few weeks...

To the Anonymous gentleman in this thread - congrat's and admiration for still getting out there. Go get 'em - and I'd be happy to give up any prime spot for you anytime.

Jim M.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim M.

There have always been more hikers/dog walkers/mountain bikers there on weekends than flyfishers but what you saw is really a lot. I intend to get out there this week. It will be fairly empty.

Brk Trt,

I guided two gentlemen on the Swift about 4 years ago and they were 80 and 78 years old. The 80 year old started a verbal back and forth with an other elderly flyfisher who he claimed was crowding him out (he wasn't). I told my client to back off because the gentleman he was picking on was 90 YEARS OLD. All generations have their bad manners.

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

45 degrees, windy and rainy, a beautiful day to fish this Sunday! Just me and the river; only briefly saw another angler. Fishing on a similar day with Bob O last Fall, we had the Y Pool to ourselves.

Today was Bondsville with two hook ups and two long distance releases. The second fish was spectacular with several high jumps. It then changed tactics and dug deep where it gained it's release after tangling me in the same thing that has claimed a few flies of mine.

It was great to get out and feel fish on!

Sam

Travis Arnold said...

Bill is a great guy, always catching fish and never hesitant to share what he is catching them on.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Travis,

And Bill isn't afraid to tell you on what section of the river he's catching them on either. Not like others!

Ken