Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Finicky Spring And A Caddis Larvae

Fisherman love rivers for their own sake, but we always look at them with the knowledge that it can take years to begin to see what's actually there. That's why we can't take our eyes off them. I've been in cars that almost crashed because the driver and all the passengers were looking at a river instead of the road" - John Gierach




I wanted to head off to the North Quabbin region to fish some almost nameless brooks this week but some neglected yard work yesterday and today put a dent in that so I ended up working a smallish neighborhood stream that I hit, it seems, every other year.  It has the reputation, by word of mouth AND in print, as being a Spring time stocked  fishery that gives up the ghost by July.  I have to chuckle at this wisdom because my best dry fly fishing on this small river has been in JULY. In fact, a stream survey conducted a few years ago in September resulted in trout captured.

Trout are hardier than we think!

It's a pretty stream full of riffles that hold springtime trout and when the water gets low in the Summer the trout are found in the long, slow moving pools between the riffles and a well placed dry fly will rule the day.  The place gets very little fishing pressure by C&R fishers or freezer stuffers so you will probably fish alone.

This river has some good company being in the foothills of western Massachusetts which is one of the reasons for it's lack of credibility.  How does it measure up to, let's say, the Squannacook River?

First, they are similar in size with the Squannacook draining 64 sq miles and my river draining 53 sq miles.  Second, the Squannie is flowing, as I write, at 259 cfs (there was some heavy rain there recently) while my river is flowing at 176 cfs (we missed most of the rain).  The 7+ decade daily average flow for the Squannie is 267 cfs and my river has an average flow of 178 cfs.

Both rivers are in the same ballpark!

There are a good number of rivers like this in New England and because of the weird need to only fish "bucket list" rivers these places go mainly unfished.  We are missing a lot of good opportunities!!!

BTW, my river is the Mill River in Williamsburg and Northampton.


                                                                                                   Shell Pink Caddis Larvae


This fly killed them on the Ware last week before the water flow went up.  I think this guy will work every week of the season.

Hook - 12 or 14 caddis hook

Thread - 120 denier Fl Shell Pink thread by UTC for the body (build it up)

Head - A few turns of peacock (no need for antennae or "horns" as the old time tyers called them.

Body Coating - Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails" and that's it. Rib it if you like!

The Rivers

They went up but will come down (the Millers being the last to come down, of course.)

Ken








24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I've seen that river on my way through Williamsburg to the EB. A pretty stream! Just what I need, another stream to fish!!!

GW

Anonymous said...

Nice pattern. Maybe the anecdotal information about some streams is designed to throw other anglers off the track? We are fishermen after all!

Andrew D said...

I've been waiting for a small brook in my hometown (Neponset River watershed) to get its annual stocking of brook trout, but the little purple diamond on the mass.gov website is gone, looks like they won't get to it this year.

I went there anyway to scout around and landed a nice 6-8inch brookie with some color still on him, he came up for little a march brown wet fly. Good lesson on trout durability!

-Andrew D

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 8:03,

MAYBE!

Andrew D.,

Updates on the stocking report for the last 3 days are nonexistent. Either they are not stocking or are not reporting it. There were 209 official stocking sites that are reported as having NO 2020 stocking as of this date.

Hmm....

Ken

Ryan51993 said...

Not only are they not reporting but a couple of small streams were taken off the list entirely. Not sure if the changes are permanant or just this year.

Hibernation said...

Ken,
Have you tried that fly with a latex body? I thought thats what it was at first glance until reading the recipe. It's a great looking super simple fly, LOVE IT! I'm going to do a few up with different body materials to see how they fish.

Keep healthy, and have fun on the mill, it's a beautiful river!

hockey_dad said...

Hi Ken- I'll be fishing tomorrow. I will have to do a 1 mile walk but I know there are fish in this river near me. thanks for identifying that hatch I was in last weekend. I hope it happens again tomorrow.

Sam said...

Ken,

With regard to stocking, last fall and again this spring, DFW stocked rainbows in the south branch of the Mill River that rises in Hampden and eventually flows into Springfield. Much of the Hampden and south Wilbraham parts of the stream flows through neighborhoods and the rest is basically unfishable due to swamps and brush choked areas. Why DFW took a sudden interest in stocking this particular stream is beyond me. I don't recall them stocking it before.

Sam

Anonymous said...

Great post, and comments.

Falsecast said...

Hi there - I’ll keep the small stream vibe going. I had a couple of hours only to kill so I went to the Stillwater. I decided to only fish a pink SJW. I know this “fly” is on Ken’s unpopular list, but I respectfully digress.... :) I caught 2 Landlocked Salmon smolts that must have been from the fall spawn. I was worried this run had stopped. A notable fact is that this river is the southern most boundary of wild Landlocked Salmon in the country. There is no wild LLS stream south of the Stillwater. This run has sustained even with the terrible management from the state as in it allows open fishing during spawning runs. These runs are, however, very hard to predict. So it was good find on a small stream. This river is right next to the Quinnepoxet for those unfamiliar. tight lines and stay safe!!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I remember it being about 1980 when the DFW stocked the Stillwater with salmon smolts and turned it into a LL Salmon stream. I've been told that the salmon will run upstream as far as possible on the Stillwater. One must note that the only salmon fishing on the Stillwater is for spawning fish since the salmon drop back to Wachusett
after they spawn. There are some salmon that chase springtime smelt up the tribs. I would allow salmon fishing, artificials only. The bait tossers really gum up the place.

Sam,

The DFW stocks a lot of small streams that really should not be stocked. Many of these streams don't support trout through the Summer or have remnant populations of native brook trout that are challenged by an invasion of stockees!!

Ryan,

Yes, there are no stocking updates and according to the stocking list there are still about 200 locations that have not been stocked yet. I think they would have to make it public knowledge if they suspended stocking.

Hibernation,

Yes, I've used latex before but I always forgot to purchase more so I went to a thread body and a clear coating. It works.

Hockey,

Have fun in the snow. I'm fishing tomorrow!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Just thinking that using the same material in a Vladi Worm would make a great body for your fly. In fact I am going to try it!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:46,

Can't say I know what that material is but if I were you I would try it. It might make you famous!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ha, I would be happy just catching fish!

Sam said...

Ken,

Bondsville zone yielded one hit, that one being right at the end as darkness was falling on a bead head pheasant tail nymph. A darn nice rainbow that took line out twice. I was getting the upper hand with 5X, but one last high jump sealed the deal for the rainbow's long distance release. It did me good to feel a fish on.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

There's no shame in losing a trout after a battle like that. Those are memories!!

Ken

Sam said...

It felt great to have that trout on, Ken. Just what I needed. I was surprised to see the higher flow, though it is much to my liking. Why do you figure they increased the flow?

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

The flow graph doesn't have the usual sharp rise that would indicate an intentional release. Now, last week I took a walk up to the overflow arm and saw that there was water flowing in what is at this time of year a bone dry stream bed. The Swift has risen about 50 cfs and that may be coming from the overflow.

Ken

BobT said...

I have heard they are still rolling the truck but suspending/delaying the reporting because of crowding/pressure on certain locations. Maine has done the same thing.

Bob O said...

Ken,
Thanks for your observation about the spillway. I suspected that may have been the case. Now confirmed. Surprising, I had no idea the Quabbin was at capacity. Wonder if any salmon will follow the splashes? Probably will take a good drenching 1-2 inch rainfall to encourage them. Otherwise. once the leaves come out, the trickle will dry up.

PS: A few years ago I made a similar (caddis?) grub wound from cream colored plastic glove latex and a copper rib. Worked wonders then.

Bob O

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

No salmon will come over the spillway at this time of year since they will be looking for depth and not spawning grounds now. There's a lot of water coming over the spillway. You can hear it half way up to the Y Pool. I hope it stops.

BobT,

Exactly! It's been that way for a few weeks now. The question is are they doing any stocking. There were over 200 locations that are on the stocking report that have not been stocked according to the report. Maybe they are not recording the stocking OR they are not stocking any longer.

Ken

Jake said...

Fished the EB of the swift over the weekend. Ended up catching 3 different spin fisherman rigs that had broken off in the stream. Was able to clean up about 100 Yds or so of 15LB mono as a result. Seems like a ton of people who go here do not have waders so when they get hung up they just cut their line. Really unfortunate for such a gem of small stream.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jake,

15lb mono on the EB of the Swift? They must of been fishing for largemouths!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Hi Ken,
Just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your daily blogs about your great rivers to fish in your neck of the woods. I am a 1 and 1/2 hour drive from my house to your river system and the info you give out helps me greatly when I plan a day to your area.
Yesterday 5/7/20 was my first day out on the Miller and the water was high by your standard the wind was blowing up stream and the black flies drew a lot of curses and minute holes in my hands. Things will improve.
I also went to the Ware and the black flies were worse, thankfully I had my head net and some spray. The fishing was good. what a nice river to fish, a gem. Thanks for all your info I always check with you before venturing out. Top flies were Spider Hares ear and Hares ear Flash Beaded Nymph