Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, May 11, 2020

An EB Morning


"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever, is to go fishing and the worse the problem the longer the trip should be" - John Gierach

Note - I have an opening to guide on Friday, the 15th.  First one with the earliest time stamp gets it.  BTW, you cannot use this opportunity to reschedule an existing date. Ken - 7:40am 5/13/20


At 363 cfs it was time to go hit this river which has been all over the flow chart for the last few weeks.  It was time well spent!!

I got there at 9:30 and I had my favorite sections all to myself.  I saw one other vehicle going downstream as I entered the Bliss Pool to cross over.  My rod was the 9ft 6wt Heddon bamboo that I got from Rick Taupier at Swift River Rod Company. It casts like a dream and my fly was a partridge and orange (of course). My usual approach yielded one tiny tap but when I worked my way through the pool all hell broke loose in the form of the biggest brook trout that I can recall seeing in that river.  I took 7 brookies and most were a foot long or better and they were chunky! The 3 rainbows were almost an afterthought.

It started to rain around 10am starting as a light drizzle and ending up as a steady rain.  kept thinking that the forecast of T'storms may not be a joke so  I ended up leaving the place at noon, a bit wet but happy.

When I got home the flow rate had jumped to 374 which is typical of this river.  Check the forecast and the flow before you leave to fish the EB.

It was good to be back!

Ken




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,
I had a similar experience on the Ware today. Got there about 10:30 and stayed until a bit before 2. For me a small black leech pattern was the ticket. The fish liked a twitching retrieve. I did get several on a trailing PT soft hackle size 14 too. Around 6 brookies, 3 rainbows and 3 small browns. Some of the brookies were chunky 10-12’ fish. The rainbows were quite spunky. Not surprisingly, the rain didn’t make any difference in the activity of the fish. Hope they start looking up soon. Didn’t see any risers today.

Chuck

DRL said...

Thursday last week I had a great evening on the EB with the water a little higher. There were a few walkers along the river, but only two fisherman, one with a spinning rod and a 4 year old. I caught a 7/4 brookie/Bow mix and the brookies were big and healthy as you described. It took me a while to find the deep seams where they were setup, but then it was fast and furious. I love that river

Sam said...

Glad to hear you had good action, Ken! It sure does a fella good to fish, connecting is a welcome bonus especially now. Sounds like you got into some beautiful brook trout.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chuck,
They were looking up last week but have hugged the bottom lately. The rises came in the late afternoon.

DRL,

Funny but I fished my favorite run and got only a tap but fished a spot that I usually overlook and did well.

Sam,

Thank you!

Ken

John said...

Sounds like they might have stocked again? And that's a gorgeous brookie. Going to have to make another trek out there soon! Thanks again for all the updates. Will have to try crossing over to the other side of the Bliss pool next time (after my regular trek down to Les's pool).

Pat said...

I fished there Friday evening in the rain/snow. I didn't bring the waders so I was stripping streamers and moved a ton of fish. Only one I connected on was the most colored up rainbow I've ever seen. Even most of its belly was red and its cheeks rivaled that of a cutty. Pulled one brookie out of the MB Saturday and another 16+ inch bow outta the WB Sunday afternoon. Cased caddis are everywhere

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Pat,

I'll be working the WB today and yes, this years class of bows are RED!!!

Ken