Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Freestone Timing, Handling Trout And Book Me

"Moreover, I’ve never had good luck Euronymphing at the Swift’s busiest spots. The water is too slow or shallow, and the casting angles are not conducive." -From Another Blog, October 27, 2018


This is the season where Freestones rule.  This is also the season where you don't see me on the tailwaters as much.  They are good to fish during the winter when the true rivers are locked in ice.  They can provide mid day fishing during the heat of July which makes it very convenient  for those who play during bankers hours.  I would rather follow the cycles of the season on a Freestone: mid day and its hatches during the Spring, very early morning (4 am) and dusk (the witching hour) during the Summer and then back to mid day in the Fall.  John Gierach once referred to tailwaters as the "theme parks of flyfishing".  Fair enough.  Let's think about natural rivers.

I made it to the EB at about 1:45pm yesterday.  I had heard that flies were hatching everywhere over the weekend and that the flyfisher hatch was pretty heavy too but success was rare.  Why was
that?

The first thing I noticed was the good hatch of Q. Gordons and a lot of caddis that appeared to be in the hatching phase.  The second thing that I noticed was that most of the surface water was undisturbed by rising trout.  I said most of the surface water because one type of water was full of slashing trout and that was at the head of the two pools that I fished.  I noticed that because Q. Gordons and many caddis like the fast, choppy water of the riffles above a pool and when they hatch they will move down to the head of the pool.  Gordons and many caddis hatch quickly and trout will chase them knowing that they will escape.  That is why the "dorsal and tail" rises were quick and abrupt.

                                                                                    7ft 6in 4wt Heddon with Rainbow

Now, the youtube experts will have you fishing a nymph under a bobber (it won't work) or euro nymphing a heavy nymph (the wrong approach) or will suggest a dry fly (strike three).  What did I do?  Well, I noticed that the trout were definitely chasing flies so I gave them something to chase in the form of a size 14 partridge and peacock.  I took short 20-25 foot casts up and across and stripped them back in short, quick 2 inch strips. My fly was never deeper than 6 inches below the surface and some trout left the water while chasing my fly. The hits were vicious!!

I fished until 4pm and took 17 bows all with the same method. I tried some traditional presentations such as high sticking but the fly just didn't have the movement that the trout wanted.

Wait, one more thing. I was the only flyfisher there (as far as I know).

I fished the Bliss Pool and Chronicle Pool below and I am sure that the technique would work anywhere.

We will have some good morning and afternoon hatches until late June when things begin to swing into the evening when most tailwater fishers go home.

Releasing Trout

One does not have to look far to see photos of caught trout lying on the ground having their picture taken.  If you must take photos take them while the trout is in the wet net.  That's what you see here!!!

BOOK ME

Fishing has been great and and some of my best days have been in early to mid June. 
Book me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Releasing Trout

One does not have to look far to see photos of caught trout lying on the ground having their picture taken. If you must take photos take them while the trout is in the wet net. " Also use barbless hooks which should be required on all C&R areas!
Good job on the East Branch. Shows you have to be flexible and roll with whatever the trout tell you on that day. Sometimes its swinging flies, sometimes emergers or dries, and sometimes its getting deep.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 9:42,

"and roll with whatever the trout tell you on that day"!

Wise words!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken!

This is Jed, my roommate and I have hired you a few times to fish the Swift and Miller’s Rivers. Anyway wanted to tell you about my day.

I’ve moved to a town named Collinsville with my girlfriend who is a teacher out here (I work remote). The town is situated right on the Farmington River, needless to say, I’ve been in the water a lot.

With that being said, I’m a religious reader of your blog, and haven’t been having a ton of luck on this this river. So I followed your advice for the Millers, I kept it simple and swung some peacock and patridge. Man, did I kill it.

Anyway, moral of the story is, no matter what river you’re fishing in New England, if you follow Ken Elmer’s advice....you’ll hook into some trout.

Jed

Jim D said...

Hi Ken
Love the blog and glad I read it yesterday morning. Fish the main branch of the Westfield River along Route 20, fish are spread out all over" that's a good thing" fish were holding tight to the bottom, not any more! In 2 hours of fishing skinny water no more than 2 and 1/2 ft deep I managed to land five feisty rainbow on soft Hackles!( after reading the blog)
I fish the main branch often and think that April's bad weather and high water has kept the bait guys from pillaging the river!
Thanks again Ken.

Jim D.

Pat said...

I read that when trout hit a caddis it is more of a "splashy" take than sipping the surface for other bugs. This seems to ring true with what you wrote about them chasing those bugs. The caddis at the farmy yesterday were tiny and unfortunately I didn't have anything in the box that they seemed interested in. Fishing pressure there this spring has rivaled the cape cod canal during a new moon or the salmon river during the salmon run.

5xFly said...

Ken, another great blog entry! I'm writing for advice on the Millers from you or any other readers who have it to offer. I'm off to explore the Upper C&R section for the first time tomorrow (Thursday). I'm really looking forward to it.

It's going to heat up during the day tomorrow. Do you think it will be enough to put the fish down midday or is still early enough where I wouldn't be a fool for fishing in the high sun?

Secondly, in terms of technique it's been interesting reading about the emerger presentation of peacock and partridge through the faster water, plunge into the pool, and maybe swing it. I'd like to try that approach but I simply don't have that fly in my kit. Can anyone recommend a good direction to think it terms of substitutes? I'm inclined to try something tan and easy to see like a caddis or whatever else is in my box that's sort of like it.... Then again my mind also tells me to put on whatever is the most visible so that I can catch looks through the faster water.

Any advice appreciated. Tight lines. -Jim

TC said...

HIt the Quinapoxet this morning after a long recovery from this Covid crap. (This virus is not to be trifled with as I'm still feeling the affects more than a month later). Worked subsurface from Trout brook to the Springdell Mill site. It was slow going turning over just a few brookies and a few shiners on a tungsten olive midge nymph. Adding on a marabou olive mini bugger I picked up a bigger brookie in the deeper runs and capped it off with a big fat rainbow in the deepest pool after offering up a big fat olive wool head sculpin. Then worked back up stream fishing the transition water with a big fluffy ausable bomber and nabbed few more brookies on top. Fish were well spread out and lots of loitering by a few fishers at the trout brook pool otherwise plenty of elbow room for the handful of fishermen I saw.

TC

Gary said...

Got to the EB about 2pm today had trouble gettin in so much traffic. River in my opinion is perfect for whatever fly fishing you want to do. (thats a long time coming) Fooled 2 bows, first with a #14 P&O, second with a #12 black spider with a yellow hot spot. All kinds of bugs coming out of the water but no rises just fish breaking the surface chasing the bugs. Worked hard for those 2 fish,3 hours, must have been somebody in that pool earlier. Saw only 2 other fly fishers. Oh finally shed the waders probably till November.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good to hear from you Jed!

Gary,

Was that you in the red jeep blocking the road around 2pm?(haha) We did the exact opposite of Monday - 2 hits and that was it. It was very bright out and that kept the insects down.

TC,

Glad that you are out there!

john carlton said...

Ken,
Apparently everyone read your Tuesday evening's post boasting of catching 17 rainbows on the EB as it was packed Wednesday. Over the weekend my daughter and I had decided to take Wednesday off from work to fish it. Bad decision. After competing with the crowds (Swimming Hole Pool, Bliss Pool, Chronicle Pool, Slant Rock, Oracle, Les Pool and pocket water in between, we said good bye to the EB C&R section and all its customers to ply other waters in the area. Glad we did. Found plenty of good water, plenty of caddis, several good size rainbows and no fishermen. IMO, the EB has become overrated and over populated. The main stem and the other two branches have plenty of trout and some big ones/holdovers at that.
Saw you in the Chronicle Pool with your client as we were leaving. How many did you bag?
Jack

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - The Housy has been fishing great. Yesterday, in the sun, the bugs were hatching like crazy, still Green Caddis is getting most attention. There were Hendricksons, and some cream mayfly (maybe cahill's) coming off too. Lots of Baetis nymphs and Hendrickson nymphs in the rocks. I decided to stay late and, oddly, the fishing was better in the full sun?? I took a couple more solid 17 inch Browns that test your reel drag and a few others including a small wild one. All in all a good day. Didn't run into one other person.

I have been interested in fishing the Farmington (I never have), but all the crowd reports are a real turn off. My father-in-law is a long time member of Farmington River Anglers Association and has given me a great map. Any suggestions on when or where to avoid the crowds?

Gary said...

On the WB at 7 this morning, still had the #12 black spider on from yesterday at the EB, it fooled 2 rainbows in a quick moving run with a mini shot 8 inches above, both hooked at the start of the retrieve after a 10 yard run. Off the river at 10am, things are heating up. Saw only 1 fisherman from the tin bridge to Huntington proper and less traffic than the EB.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

First, the Farmington- It is crowded. One of my readers compared it to the Cape Code Canal at striper time! I fish the Farmy in mid Summer during the week. It still has hordes of flyfishing techo freaks but you can get away from them. I camp out at the camping area along the river and I can start very early and fish very late. I may not get a timely table at one of the local eateries but I'm there to fish.

My favorite uncrowded spots - I like the Campground Pool, the Spare Tire Pool and the Boneyard. Good water and it's not crushed by daytrippers. There are other good spots that don't get mobbed during the week.

My guide is the "Fishermans Guide to the Farmington River sold at UpCountry Fly Shop.

On the Housy - are you fishing Ma water or CT? I have to make the time to get there. No guiding, just fishing!!!

John Carlton,

What are you talking about??? I was there with a client after spending most of the morning on the WB. Got to the EB at 11am and fished until 2pm and saw only 3 anglers( I believe half were double counted as we worked down the river). I saw one at the Swimming Hole, 0 at Bliss, 1 at Chronicle 0 at Slant Rock and 1 at the Bend. Certainly not the "Crowds" as you say unless you prefer absolutely no people within miles of where your fishing.

The EB certainly is not overrated because you appear not to do so well on that river. Will the Ware get dumped into your trash heap when you have a bad day there? It seems that you resurrected this attitude from 10 or so years ago when you questioned my success on the EB on this blog. Why don't you resurrect one of your long dead blogs where you boasted of catches but would not name the river that you fished on. (it's VT if anyone cares). Maybe you should take another 10 year hiatus starting now.

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - I fish it in MA. I have been fishing it for years, before they started stocking it again. You could always get big holdovers that fell down from tribs that were stocked. IF you are willing to work, there are great fish to be had. I'd be glad to point you to some spots or better yet meet you there. This is the best time to go. Let me know!

Thanks for the Farmington tips. I will have to try it at some point, but I hate the crowds. As you know, I can even get down on our beloved Swift. Glad to not be there now. :)

nhflyfisher said...

Hi Ken. I had my idiot moment today when I left the EB and left my rod and reel leaning on a tree. I'm hoping it is found by someone who frequents this forum.
It was against a tree on the right side of the road going downstream. It was about 10 feet upstream of the Bliss conservation sign.
It's a Sage Vantage 5 wt with a Battenkill reel.
Thanks.

nhflyfishnh@gmail.com

Millers River Flyfisher said...

nhflyfisher,

I'm up there this morning. I'll look around. If anyone finds it notify me.

Ken