Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

A Dry June Is In The Books And I Welcome July

"In gathering samples of sulphurs I've found an unusually high incidence of crippled duns with bedraggled wings. To this do I attribute the fact that my most consistent producers during the Sulphur hatch have been emerger patterns fished with a  downstream, and slightly across, presentation".  -Thomas Ames Jr.


It has been a crazy two months.  First, my guiding has been "through the roof" as well as my fly tying business.  Secondly the drought really forced us to switch gears and pick our spots.  This is part of the yearly cycle of the freestone angler - fish and fish hard before the rivers go into a mid season swoon and then rely on the tailwaters to pull us through.  If you only fish tailwaters you are missing the point.


Crowds - they are been nonexistent on the Swift where I fish it.  I may see 2 or 3 people each session that I'm there and that is by design.  Last year we had great sulphur action in July that is described perfectly by the Thomas Ames quote at the top of the post and the fly to the left is the emerger that worked.


Body - yellow tying thread
Thorax - orange rabbit dubbing
Hackle - gray partridge
Hook - standard dry size 16 through 20



The Drought

It rained and then rained some more.  The drought has been broken (maybe) with the Millers running at 223(very good) as I write and the EB cruising along at 144 (very good too). Remember, the strategy is to get to the river VERY early or stay past dusk.  The second option is usually the best because you will have diminishing crowds as sunset approaches instead of the growing hordes as the sun rises in the sky. Plus the hatches, except for the morning trico hatch which is over a full month away, are better in the evening.


It's Still There!!
Book Me

Now is the season for the "Evening Rise".  Book a 5 to 8pm trip on the Millers or the Swift or the EB and have some summer fun. 



One More Point

Is it my imagination or is there less chatter about using stomach pumps on trout to find out what they are feeding on?  I hope so.  We really do know what they are feeding on.  We did just catch one, right???  Ditto for fly fishing competitions.  You want to keep score?  Play golf!!!!

Have a happy July Fourth!!

Ken



5 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken -- I am wondering if you or any of your readers know anything about fishing the Green River in the northern berkshires? I am going to be staying for 3 nights in house in New Ashford ma, that is supposedly on this river, and I hope to do some fishing. I have never been there before, but I have heard it can be quite good, but literally know nothing about it, where to go, etc. Is there a fly shop or anywhere that would have info? Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

I know little about that Green River (there are 3 of them in this state) except that it flows into the hudson river. All that I know is that it's flowing a bit low.

Anybody else know anything??
Ken

MDH said...

Ken,

Regarding that Green River - it is probably 3rd choice of the three Green Rivers in MA (after the one in Greenfield and the other in Great Barrington) - maybe some wild brookies around and in some of the tribs, though I think it is pretty small water there as I've driven by on Rt 7. With some rain and cooler temps best bets would be the Hoosic in Williamstown or Hoosatonic C&R section in Lee, at dawn/dusk of course. Or for a tailwater the Deerfied upper C&R (Fife Brook) is within an hours drive, but have to work around the dam release schedule (it has typically been off until 11:30-noon lately).

Mike from Pittsfield

Falsecast said...

Thanks Mike! I know the Housy well, but I have never really fished this area. Are there any fly shops around there that you'd recommend?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Anonymous said...

Your "One more point" = Amen!
All the best Ken.