Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, September 11, 2020

Ant Season And This Autumn

 "I have always been fascinated by whatever that spark is that actually makes a trout take a fly in the first place.  Sure, match-the-hatch gets you close but it's hard to believe that a minor adjustment in something like the hue of the dubbing material will make that big a difference". Ed Engle

I think it's a termite


It seems to start around the third week of August and will, on some years, last right to the start of October.  That is the annual breakup of ant colonies (termites included) in New England. The biggest that I saw was on the Farmington the week before Labor Day almost 20 years ago.  the second largest was on the EB one September afternoon a decade ago.  In both cases THE TROUT WENT CRAZY, giving up on whatever they were snacking on, to zero in on the ants.

There are many species and sizes out there. I ran into a short hatch of size 22 reddish winged ants on the swift last week.  They all have a few things in common:

1. This is the WINGED STAGE of the life cycle.  The colony is splitting up by following the new queen (?) to a new spot. 

2. For some reason they (many) end up in the water. That is bad for them but good for the trout and for us. 

3. Your imitation should be WINGED (blue dun hackle tips from a hen cape are my choice) and the body should be hour glass (ant) shaped.

4. I stopped using hackle years ago and use a synthetic dubbing that dries quickly and plenty of powdered  floatant.

5. Sizes 18 through 22 in black and brown do it for me.

6. It's been said that a good rain will jump start a colony split up. (like yesterdays rain, I hope.

My strangest ant encounter was a few Octobers ago on the Millers. They were all over the ground (thousands) with a few in the air.  I picked one up and immediately smelled something like lemon oil.  Forward cast a few months to a presentation that I did at the Evening Sun Fly Shop. I mentioned the strange lemon scented critter and an exterminator in the crowd stated that I had stumbled onto a colony of CITRONELLA  ANTS!!!



Do  I carry lemon scented flies?  No!!

The Rivers

Yesterdays ran really helped but we need more.

Millers - 66 cfs

EB       - 49 cfs

Swift    - 124 cfs

Remember, days are much shorter than 2 months ago and evaporation from streams and rivers is also less. In a few weeks the trees will drop their leaves and that means less water sucked up into the biomass and that means more water in the rivers.  

Book Me

 

 





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fished the Swift on Thursday. It seemed that Bill and I were the only ones on the river. Mid afternoon, after a brief shower, winged ants began to show. A couple on me, a few more in the water. Good call.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I read somewhere that ants are bitter tasting from the formic acid that they contain. Can anyone else verify this?

Steve

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 12:43,

I was there moving around Thursday morning. Saw one other guy. It was wonderful. Saw 2 big carpenter ants this morning. I'd need a size 12 for them!

Steve,

Fish eat them, bears eat them, birds eat them, anteaters eat them, chips in Africa eat them. I guess they're not too bad. I'll have to try one out.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Spent the day in the bondsville section of the swift and took a beautiful wild brown by the looks along with multiple colored up brookies and my first ever landlock salmon, 4 all together taken in mass on a fly rod... all on a hornberg, kind of been my go to this year and it was a good day to get out!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 6:35,

Good Work! And on a Hornberg too!!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

My childhood friend used to eat ants and said they tasted like lemons go figure...I love ant season and have a lot of action with a larger size 10/12 foam ant in various colors

Dave P said...

Ken,make sure the ant you try doesn't have a hook in it!
Cheers,
Dave P

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

I'VE heard of chocolate covered ants. I'd try them.

Dave P.,

It better be barbless!!!

Ken