Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Soft Hackle Feathers

 Repeated encounters with a specific prey item allows the trout to form its ‘searching image’.  Things that fit the trout’s searching image, more or less, almost always get a look. The natural emerger struggling at the surface, with part of its body and shuck penetrating the surface film, is spotted sooner and at longer range than the dun or spinner. 

A semi-sunk fly projects more visible stimulus than a high and dry pattern, so it makes a lot of sense to use a design that penetrates the surface film as a ‘searching pattern’, rather than the high-riding flies usually recommended for this job like the Royal Wulff, Humpy or Elk Hair Caddis. For me, the old dry hackle jobs have been moved well down the bench, even for fast broken water.  Bob Wyatt



I still get questions on what I use for creating soft hackle flies.  Some answers are easy such as PARTRIDGE  and orange, some are not so easy.  I have four main feathers to create my favorite fly and a few tricks that I use at the vise.

In front of you are five feathers from four different species of bird.  From the left to the right:

Partridge - (first from left). This is that beautiful brown toned, mottled feather from the back of the bird.  It is the main ingredient in most of my flies that start with the words partridge or grouse. It has that perfect nymph color.  A word of note: Always tie in your hackles by the tip and not the base of the feather.  You don't need that thick stem on the fly plus the finished fly just looks better.  Another word of note: try to buy your feathers on the cape (skin).  It's much less expensive in the long run and you get better sizes. And another word of note: When I say "on the cape" I don't mean Truro!!!

Grey Partridge - These light grey feathers come from the breast of the bird.  For a long time I didn't use them that much until I began to color them with Sharpie pens to get the color I wanted. The feather above has been colored with a dark grey Sharpie on the right side to show you the contrast.  Using a sharpie you can color them any color that you want.  Just remember to do both sides.  Brown works great.

Hen - I didn't like this feather until I realized that I was using the WRONG hen cape. Look for a cape that has the most narrow tips on its feathers (the one above shows this).  This will give you access to the shortest hackle fibers for trout flies after two turns. Then (mostly) the hackle becomes too big for the fly.  Two turns is good because hen hackle is wider and takes up more space than partridge.

Starling - This tiny beautiful hackle that works all the time especially on Autumn BWO hatches.  The only problem is that it is always DARK but most of the Autumnal flies are darker anyway so use it.  If you can tie a dozen of these without breaking the fragile stem you can consider yours a profession grade fly tyer!

Pheasant - The last feather and I don't really know what to do with it as hackle.  The feathers are too big as are the fibers.  It's a size 10 or larger feather.

What not to use - CDC sucks as a soft hackle regardless of the size of the fly. Those flimsy, feminine feathers get smashed around when you get a hit and if you get some slimy weeds attached those CDC fibers will melt away.  There is so much more to use instead of that stuff.

One More Feather - One last partridge feather of note is the wing covert feather. It covers the top of the bird's wing, is a great brown shade and is mostly in smaller sizes.  It's drawback is that it has a fairly thick light colored stem. Eliminate that problem with a good old brown sharpie.

I have thought of using pigeon feathers but I can't stop thinking of these urban birds as flying rats.  If you want to skin one for me then I'll take it.

Pray for lots of rain!!


Ken



 


12 comments:

Charles said...

I'm not a fly tie-er, but I had to share the following excerpt, especially for this excellent post on fly materials:

"These ben the xii (12) flyes with which ye shall angle to the trought and graylling, and dubbe like as ye now here me tell. Marche--The donne fly, the body of the donne woll, and the wings of the pertryche. . Another donne fly, the body of black woll, the wyngis of the blackyst drake, and the lay under the wynge and under the tayle." -- late 1300s English manuscript, used by Isaac Walton in researching his "Compleat Angler." In reading this, it is interesting how little has changed in 700+ years.
Charles

Anonymous said...

A turn or two of CDC along with your Soft Hackle of choice will add some buoyancy to your in the film floaters. Can be dusted up nicely with frogs fanny.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Thank you for your great comment. The more things change the more they stay the same! It's interesting how wool(woll as they said back then) has fallen out of the preferred list of body material to be replaced by rabbit and such. I tied some with wool a few years ago but really didn't give them a chance BECAUSE wool wasn't popular. Maybe my mistake.

Anonymous 12:48,

I really don't want soft hackles in the surface to be "film floaters". They will drag on the surface on the swing. Best to present the SH just below the surface (1st three inches or less)without the surface drag. That's how I catch them!

Ken

Anonymous said...

"I really don't want soft hackles in the surface to be "film floaters". They will drag on the surface on the swing. Best to present the SH just below the surface (1st three inches or less)without the surface drag." I agree if you are swinging them. But they make dandy dead drifters too!

Mark said...

Ken-I feel this is your best entry ever. I started to tie a lot of soft hackles this year and have often wondered about the specifics on feathers(other than partridge). Good stuff! I hate using starling due to how delicate it is.

Mark

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mark,

"best entry ever!?!? Thank you!!

Starling is something most tiers hate at the start including me. Very small and very fragile. Keep at it because it is well worth it. Hint: I hate that white tip on each feather so before I tie I pick out some hackles from the cape and hit that white tip with a black sharpie. I want NO WHITE on that fly!

Ken

Falsecast said...

It looks like the swift will be the only game in town. :(

I took a week fishing up in Rangeley and they are suffering from the low water up there too. The Magallaway is dam controlled and the locals called it "crushed" with people. There were 8 cars in the lot. I was thinking of the rte 9 lots at the Swift, which is a trickle by comparison, and how crowded we've seen it.:) I caught a ton of native brookies and 20 inch Salmon that at a size 16 EH Caddis, this highlight.

The Kennebago was as low as I've ever seen it, but yielded to me a few big Salmon in from the lakes. There were also plenty of 18-20 inch, brightly colored Brook Trout, in from the lake too. It was nice to get a trip in up there, but all of the freestones were pretty bony.
Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

You made the best of a poor situation.

Ken

Mike C said...

Starling and herl has been a strong fly for me on the swift. I tie in by the stem and it helps the breaks some because it breaks at the hackle pliers.

Unknown said...

Ken,
Dittos what Mark said. Great expose of the mystery of soft hackles! and... The sharpie is your friend.
Keep doing what you're doing. Much appreciated.
Bob O

BobT said...

Just packing up to get back from Yellowstone/Madison country. I spent a few days in the park both on the Firehole and Madison. Little white soft hackles (#16) were the ticket there all week! Not big fish and not necessarily easy to come by but a unique and fun fishery (except for being asked can you really catch fish that close to a geyser 5x while suiting up , lol). The Madison in the park was a two entirely different stories...the upper river near the junction was alive with BWO's on cloudy days and a few hoppers on the sunny days. The lower near Barnes holes 1 & 2 gave the possibility of a lake run fish on large soft hackles....I got a few tugs and finally brought in a fat 18" brown on a yellow orange #8 with partridge-aka Shakey Beeley. Not that many fish in the river with so little recent rain....probably spent too much time there but its beautiful and you do get the chance to run into anglers from all over which is fun too. The Madison in the valley was weird...its between hoppers and bwo's and neither really presented overwhelming odds but the adaptive angler could do very very well. My top fish came on a yellow brown variegated wooly bugger swung early in the morning. late morning was a switch to nymphs for a few hours or take a break then around 1-2 we could do dry dropper or double dry or nymph...as nothing was really hatching but the fish were remembering the hoppers so my top rig for the week in the afternoon was a double dry consisting of a hopper and a beetle about 18" behind. The beetle resulted in 80% of the takes. I never saw a beetle on the ground or the water but my experience told me to try that or an ant...I did not give the ant much of a chance because the beetle was so darn effective. Anyhow travel was great very few people relative to normal times...shout out to those airlines keeping the middle seats clear. Montana is all over the place regarding COVID...the right signs are up in all the shops but I'd say true enforcement in quite lacking. I will say all the fly shops are taking it seriously...probably much more so than the other stores. We cooked most meals and packed lunches...we went to a restaurant for breakfast once and dinner once all in all it was a good trip.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Bob O,

Thank you very much. Yes, soft hackles are the ace in a hole and if I can find my lost brown sharpie I'd feel better although grey has filled in nicely.

BobT,

It was hard to read your post because I want to go to Montana again! Maybe next year if this plague of weddings ends. I shouldn't say plague but maybe say "overabundance of matrimonial occasions" ceases or at least fizzles out!

Ken