Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Seasonal Thoughts And A Good Fly

 

"Even on the best day of fishing I ever had, I still did more casting than catching and there  have been plenty of days when I did nothing but  casting". John Gierach


The great Nick Lyons, who probably had his publishing hand in more American fly fishing literature than anyone, said this about winter fly fishing (and I paraphrase): "they say there is good midge fishing when the fields are frozen and the trees are barren but I'm not really a part of it.  I need an offseason".

I can understand that point of view although I can't say that I adhere to it.  My fishing log has me out on the Swift at least 2 days a week from January through March and most of that time is spent guiding, field testing new patterns (most suck), or working out new theories (ditto for them). 

I'm out there because I love the look and feel of moving water at any time of year. I don't really like chipping ice out of my guides and would rather be working out a 25 foot cast to a rising brown on a balmy June morning instead. Winter fly fishing is a diversion because we are lucky enough to be living near a tailwater and that's all we have.  I think it's safe to say that my fly fishing season is a season of following aquatic insects that are in-season and not throwing glittery attractors that represent nothing in the river. (When I fish a streamer it's usually high sticking like a nymph and not swung in the traditional way.)  


So, tonight we are expecting 12 to 18 inches of snow in the Swift watershed tonight. If you like winter flyfishing then you will get your wish.  Me, I'm starting to dream of Hendricksons!!


My Favorite Caddis

The photo above shows a handful of the DMS Caddis.  It proved its worth on freestones last season like the Millers, the Ware and the EB, especially the EB. Buggy hares mask, a turn or two of partridge, a bit of peacock and a size 14 hook just can't be beat. What I like about this pattern is that you really represent most caddis just by changing the size.  I guess it's my quest to carry one fly pattern!!

Ken



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

You do make a point about new flies and tactics that when the season rolls around, really suck. It's still fun to experiment.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Might be good with a twist of Woodcock too!!

Dean F said...

12" to 18" I can't wait! It's the perfect time to tie up some fly's with the wood stove burning, a warming glass of fine bourbon and my dog at my feet. My wife is sure to have a home made pot of hot stew simmering. As New Englanders we love getting snowed in, yet the local news will be covering the "Death Storm", 24/7 from the milk or bread isle spreading fear of the "terror" upon us. It must really be terribly embarrassing for them?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous, 12:16

Woodcock is working its was into many of my soft hackle flies, especially the larger ones!

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dean F,

I love this comment. I don't have a wood burning storm any longer and I don't drink hard stuff any more but I do all of the cooking under my roof and the pot is always simmering on weekends at this address especially when a foot or more is expected. It's being a natural born New Englander is guess.

Hats off to you!!

Ken

mike said...

Ken, can I ask you what hook you tied those flies on? Very nice...

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

I use Saber dry fly hooks on the flies shown. Some are barbless and some have pinched down barbs. I get them online from FLY SHACK in Gloversville NY. High quality and at a low price!

Ken

BobT said...

I think you are the fly fishing minimalist Ken! I love tying and different patterns so I will always be the guy with an over stuffed vest and an additional 10-20 semi filled boxes in my car, on my tying desk and stored away. I have tried to go the one or two box route several times but the itch to have more is just too strong. I was on the Madison in September at the end of the hopper hatch and the guys at Galloups were saying drop an ant behind the hopper as they are looking but not biting the hoppers so much anymore....having the over stuffed vest that I do...I tried that but didn't much success so I switched it up to a CDC beetle...that was the saving grace that day, they were on the beetle 10:1 over the ant...I shared a couple with my brother and one with a guy who drove out from California- something to be said for being over supplied I guess!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

BobT,

I'm trying to be. My tailwater bag has tailwater flies and not a lot, just a good selection. Why carry 30 size 14 partridge and orange soft hackles when 4 to 5 will do?

My freestone bag doesn't carry size 30 because you don't need them on the Millers, just the good stuff.

Now, my flytying table at home. That's an other story!

Ken

Falsecast said...

Dean F - I like your post a lot too. You have a very vivid description of the the scene, the tying, the dog, who can forget the Stew or the bourbon, perfect. I wish I was there. :). I am blessed with a wife who is a great cook, baker, everything and snow days are a joy here too. Enjoy!