Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, January 8, 2021

A Few Favorite Soft Hackles That Are Not Partridge

 "Nothing grows faster than a fish from when it bites until it gets away" Anonymous


DMS Caddis With Woodcock


Sometimes we get stuck in a rut or more precisely, we stop experimenting with new techniques and materials and just rely on the same old, same old. There's nothing wrong with that but with the price of partridge skins going threw the roof we should experiment a bit.

Reader Stephen M. sent me a package last Fall with some woodcock feathers which work very well as a replacement on your average partridge and whatever.  Make friends with a hunter because this is not something not usually found on a store shelf.  It is a perfect soft hackle feather - long, loose and of a perfect mottled color which is what  most caddis flies are.


Hen And Orange October Caddis

You could tie all year with this very common, very inexpensive  feather and have perfect flies. The beauty is that this feather comes in a rainbow of colors but tan, brown, black and orange (to the right) are all you need.  You can improve the mottled effect on these feathers with a brown or gray sharpie BEFORE  you tie them in.

Full Starling Skin

Starling can be a bitch to work with but it is well worth it. It's my favorite hackle for size 18 and smaller subsurface BWO.





The Swift

It appears that the Holiday week crowds are now on the wane and we should actually have some elbow room out there. Another good thing is that the snow is mostly gone which makes tramping around a lot easier.  The forecast for next week seems snowless too.

Go Fish!!!

Ken



















11 comments:

Gary said...

well yesterday I was at the mighty Swift around 9:30, cars at the rte 9 bridge numnbered at around 15, now when I see this I usually drive by but today I didn't, walking from my car to the famous Y pool I counted 5 anglers 3 in the Y pool, don' let all those cars scare u away (like me) I have seen this before, I don't know why, commuter lot maybe. Any ways my results, got a nice tug but the #20 didnt set, and I almost stepped on 3 more. Great day on the water.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

A lot of those cars are the result of hikers but a lot of them are the result of anglers It gets crowded up there so go below Route 9 because a lot of sipping trout are caught there in all seasons. One gets less pressure there.

KEN

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading how your Woodcock Soft Hackles work in 2021!

Sam said...

Ken,

With regard to partridge skins, I have used up most of the small feathers on the one I have, but there are still some nicely marked bigger feathers on it. I came across a new Davie McPhail video where he explains how to use the longer fibers on soft hackle flies. Pretty straight forward and may be useful to fly tiers looking to make use of what is left on their skins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pBHr6dDN_A

Best,
Sam

MDH said...

Hi Ken,

I thought that your readers might like to know that apparently the auction for the Chesterfield Gorge parcel went ahead and the parcel was bid up and finally bought for $70k by a "conservation minded local woman" according to the article I read. That is a big relief, I am looking forward to spending lots of time there in '21. Wishing you and all your readers lots of rising trout in the New Year!

Mike from Pittsfield

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike from Pittsfield,

I looked for a notice about a week after the auction but couldn't find one. Glad to see that it's in good lands but that's a lot of money for land that may be undevelopable.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Good to hear from you!

I haven't looked at the McPhail link yet but I will. I cut a V at the top of the feather taking out much of the center stem and then just wrap the fibers around the hook.

Anonymous,

Stay tuned!

Ken

Devin said...

Hey Ken,

What do you think about using cdc on small soft hackles from size 20 and up? I find them useful in imitating emerging Baetis throughout the year.

Devin

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Devin,

It all depends on how it's fastened to the hook. Put on as a post and it is ok. Some may try to wrap the CDC like a standard hackle but the stuff is too fragile for that.

It will work for baetis until it gets gummed up. I have some micro post wing material that works right down to size 26 and that is what I use.

Ken

Steve said...

Hi Ken,

You mentioned the starling - is that what you use for your black fly larvae pinheads?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Steve,

Nope! I use peacock.

Ken