Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Hare's Ear Caddis (Kind Of), Smallies In Big Rivers, And Long, Lost Guides


Drab and dowdy - 1. Not neat or becoming in appearance: a shabby old hat, lacking smartness or  A CADDIS FLy.

 Hare's Ear Caddis

"The uglier the better" it can be said about the caddis.  It is the most numerous of the aquatic insects in freestone environments and far out numbers the mayflies.

It was mid June about 15 years ago when I pulled off of 93 north to take a Manchester exit to cross the Merrimack for a sales call when it hit me.  The sky was full of a billion large caddis flies that were plastering my windshield enough to put on the wipers which was a mistake because after a minute I could barely see through the caddis slime. I  pulled over and with a spare bottle of windshield liquid and a squeegee managed to make things visible.  I don't know the species of caddis but it was about a size 12 and may have been the notorious ALDER FLY which doubles as the State of New Hampshire State Bird in some parts.  The Merrimack isn't noted as a trout river in those parts but I couldn't resist thinking of the smallies in that river and the feast that they had.

As I write I'm thinking of a similar river (Connecticut River) which may have the say phenomena (caddis blizzards and bruiser smallmouth) just right for the picking.  The fact is, outside of some shad, I know little of this river.  I could use some direction on this.  I'm not looking to open the vault on some secret spot but just a general direction.  Email me with some hints or suggest a time when we can work this river.  We are off the clock so no fees required.

Finding A Guide

Cruising the net can give you the impression that there are lots of flyfishing guides in your area.  Not so fast!! Many of these websites have not been updated in weeks, months or even years.  This can translate to someone who is out of business which means that you are wasting time looking for them.  Look for guides that update ALL OF THE TIME!!!!!  These are the guys that actively want your business and do not just sit there waiting for a message or the phone to ring!!!!!




Ken



11 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - Any news on the EB? It's at 855. I assume that is too high? No? How about Milles at 1000?
-Andrew

Bob O said...

Those flies are shades of Polly Rosborough's fuzzies. And they look good. I tie gold-ribbed hares ears in a similar fuzzy style, adding a bit of grey squirrel to the hares mask thorax dubbing loop. The trout seem to appreciate it, as I'm sure they will your soft hackled caddis creations.

YellowstoneBound said...

Love that soft hackle caddis Ken!! I'm currently tying up a bunch of softies for the green drake hatch out west this July and dreaming of that exciting tug you get when swinging a sparse soft hackle

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

855 is too high for me. I like it below 500

Bob O and Yellowstone,

Glad you like the flies!!

Ken

Sam said...

Deadly looking soft hackles, Ken. I tied up a few of a Davie McPhail caddis emerger this winter which take a time to tie and look real nice, but I haven't got one hit on those so far. What has produced are soft hackles and Gartside Sparrows, including today with some unremarkable stocked rainbows. It felt good to have them on though, no doubt about that.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Gartside is a hero of mine since I read that he fished the Keys with an $18 Kmart fly rod and tied flies while driving a cab!! The Sparrow is a great fly.

Ken

mike said...

Bling can be fun to tie, but Drab and dowdy is responsible for most of my fish. Nice ties, Ken.

Unknown said...

Hi Ken - I see that Tiger Trout were stocked in the Swift. I don’t know much about them and don’t recall seeing anything on this blog about them. What are your thoughts on tigers?

Unknown said...

looks like a flymph to me. I like it! Cheers,Chet

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Mike,

You got it!

Unknown 8:12

And you will nor=t see anything on this site supporting tiger trout. They are a novelty fish!

Chet,

I think you nailed it!!

Ken

Unknown said...

next there will be lion trout, then liger trout, then mike trout! LOL Chet