Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, May 1, 2021

April In The Books - Hello May

 "I'll never forget the day that I got to cast a real, by God, 8 foot, 6 weight GARRISON!  It was the first genuinely classic rod I'd ever gotten my hands on and when I walked out on the owner's lawn with it and began to cast, I  thought the sky would open up, a shaft of light would descend and everything would suddenly become clear.  What became clear was that I was casting a perfectly serviceable 6 weight rod, maybe a little on the slow side for my taste." - John Gierach


T.S. Elliot was right when he said that "April is the cruelest month."  He must of been a fly fisher!  High water through the first of the month, some daytime highs in the 70's, coupled with morning lows in the 20's and then a heavy 12 hour rainfall.  Some rivers will be up for a while (Millers), some will go down as fast as they rose (EB and WB) while others will just be less extreme like the Ware.

The Ware

The last two weeks have been good on this river if you have the patience to slow it down and fish with the flow rate and water temperature in mind. Heavy flow (now) requires some weight to your offering. Temperatures in the mid 50's allow us to use emergers because you will not have to fish deep with them.  Trout will actively pursue insects at any level of the flow when the temperature is right.

There are some nice browns in the Ware.  One 15 to 16 inch fish had perfect fins, a perfect tail and a perfect color.

Thank You!

We had some great comments on the last blog post about our stocking policies.  This may be the only online format in Ma that brings these issues up.  Let's keep it up in addition to our fishing tails!

Ken



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice looking Hornbergs. I knew a fellow that had great success each spring with a full sinking line and a Hornberg. Don't know if he ever used any other subsurface fly! Guess he didn't need too.

Charles said...

Great post, as always. And I've been meaning to thank you for posting photos of your flies, along with what's in them. This winter I took up tying my own. Never thought I would have the patience to do that, but it has been great, and the results have not self-destructed into fur and feathers drifting down the stream, once they hit the water. I've even tied a couple of Carrie Stevens' Rangeley Lake Streamers, for fun. So, the Hornberg will definitely be on my to-do list. And thanks to the other contributors for their wisdom on flies; I am applying all of it.
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

You're welcome!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

With water temps on the rise im looking forward to connecting to fish on that SH swing, truly my favorite way to fish as the takes are anything but subtle.even on the swift 5x is fine with this method and I like a shorter leader 7' to 9' range because it really helps with presentation to know where your fly is IMO