Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, May 27, 2021

VERY Soft Hackles And The Rain

 



Jack Gartside and a few of those old Scottish tiers knew the value of aftershaft feathers.  You know, the fluff that we peel off of the stem and then toss.  Try working them into your larger soft hackles like 10's and 8's.  It makes a world of difference as the aftershaft fluff is more lively than the traditional soft hackle fibers and it will give your fly some needed bulk to present a good profile in the water.
                                                    
                                                         Aftershaft at bottom of feather.

I always wrap a partridge hackle in by the tip of the feather.  With the fluff I tie in at the base of the feather.  Sometimes I have to cut back on the base if the stem is too thick.

This pattern landed two skinny water trout (brown and a bow) on the Ware yesterday. 


The Rain

Well, the rain finally came to Central/Western Ma yesterday as an on again, off again event.  All watersheds got rain with some more than others.  The Ware took the top prize doubling it's flow to 111 cfs as I write..  The others ticked upwards which is a good thing.  Now we need another dose and not a deluge!


Ken










9 comments:

Charles said...

Ken...I tied a couple this winter that used that fluff, so now I will have to use them. Last week, I went to the CR section above Rt 9 with my copy of your hen and orange, size 12. 90 minutes by the bench resulted in 6 brookies and a rainbow. Never switched the fly, and these were the first fish I have caught on a fly I tied. Went back this week, and did not see a fish in 300 yards of that entire section. Proof that they do move around. Did not see another fisherman, either. As always, thanks for the fly tying advice--can't argue with success.
Charles

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Charles,

Glad that you caught them on a fly that you tied. Now you're hooked!!

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Ken, Really appreciate your blog and the discussions/comments here. If we get the predicted rain this weekend, how long until do you think it'll take until the EB bounces back? Is there a certain CFS level to look for it to come down to (again, if we get the rain)?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Scott,

What do you mean "bounces back"???? The EB flow has been in the perfect range for two weeks and fish are being caught.

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Hi Ken, I'm wondering in the case that the levels go up substantially with the rainfall this weekend. Thanks.

Scott

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Scott,

I don't bother with the EB if the CFS rises above 500.

As I write this (5:30am) the flow is at 311 and RISING. It's supposed to =rain all day so the EB should be well over 500 by 10am.

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Thanks, Ken.

Richard said...

Ken,
I feel like Fish and Wildlife has abandoned both Catch and Release
sections on the Millers. Recently, I spoke with a former officer of
of Trout Unlimited, he said they stopped float stocking those sections
when it became too difficult to deal with Fish and Wildlife? I noticed
this year, that F&W didn't drop a fish in at Wendell Depot and nothing
in the Bearsden section.

And, I don't want to put anyone down but... I wish all
smaller streams were stocked with appropriate sized brookies. They could
save the Clown Bows for the Quabbin and larger rivers like the Deerfield.
It almost feels natural to catch an 18 inch Bow in those places.
Thanks for your information and fly fishing advocacy!
Richard

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Richard,

I find it hard to believe that the F&W didn't stock the bears den or Wendell Depot since trout have been caught down there. High water events have moved the fish around. Also, float stocking, in my opinion is a waste of time. We had great dispersal of brown trout even when we threw them off of bridges.

Ken