Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, August 7, 2021

My Blue Wing Olive - Don't Leave Home Without It!

 "Nobody fishes there anymore, it's too crowded" - Paraphrasing Yogi Berra

This fly is the King of Autumn on our central New England Rivers. Although one can see this insect on almost any cool, overcast day through the Spring and Summer, Fall is when it takes center stage especially on the EB, the Swift and the Millers. 

Backcast to 2009. It had been a very wet Summer which had the Millers flowing around 1000cfs all Summer.  Even the Swift was chugging along at 400+ on July 4th.  The EB was up and down in the extreme all Summer but began to settle down to a steady 150 - 200 flow by the end of September. I decided to take the day off and spend it there. The weather forecast predicted a heavy rain the next day so I figured I had a one day window for decent conditions. The temperature was in the low 50's and the sky was laden with heavy clouds - perfect BWO weather.

I started at Les's Pool and worked my way up to Slant Rock and finished at the Bliss Pool. In short I took over 30 trout all on size 22 and 24 BWO and missed more (of course). 

My BWO is tied as an emerger without the outrigger tails found in most conventional flies. The trout go nuts for this half floating/half submerged offering. My wing material keeps it floating.

I have a BWO/Millers story for another time.


The Rivers This Morning 

The Ware - 72 cfs (a good flow for unweighted flies)

The Swift - 51 cfs (same old flow, fish above the Duck Pond and/or Cady Lane)

The EB - 178 cfs (Fish early or fish late, avoid the tourists at mid day)

The Millers - 482 cfs and falling - finally below 500 cfs.  Fish this river!!!

All the above rivers have been doing well and this blog isn't afraid to tell you where you can have a good day.  It's all stocked, public water, Right?????

Book Me

Ken


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wing with snowshoe or synthetics?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 7:33,

Synthetics and the finest post wing fiber I can find because you need it on these tiny flies. Also its the best shade of "blue wing" color I can find.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken. Thanks for your updates on river levels...very helpful. Can you comment on area rivers when the level is too low to consider going out?

Thanks.
Jeff J.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jeff J.,

It's too low when walking across the river won't even get your feet wet.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken nice pattern, I tie something very similar and I call it the unsinkable quill sometimes I add a little poly as a tail to keep it up in the film and imitate a shuck. I like to tie in a few sizes and colors to match those lesser known mayflies that hatch sporadically in our waters, also the right size and color will imitate certain caddis events as well and to me the best flies are the ones trout can decide what it matches we just know they work

Anonymous said...

Boy even the Farmington is too warm to safely handle fish! Bet a lot of anglers ignore the temps and kill fish posing for pictures.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

And the Swift keeps chugging along at 58 degrees from the bubbler arm down into Cady Lane!

Ken