Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, August 2, 2021

An August Morning On The Ware

"Brown trout show a preference for and are typically most active in water ranging from 54 to 67 degrees.  These figures are only slightly higher than those cited for brook trout in the previous chapter.  The principal reason for the success of brown trout in streams depleted of brook trout is almost certainly because brown trout are harder to catch". John Merwin - The New American Trout Fishing

Note:(8/3) Friend Brad found a spool holder with 6 spools of tippet recently on the Ware River.  Name the tippet brands on the holder and I will consider you the owner. Ken  8/6 = tippet spool claimed

I had to hit this river because I love the way it looks.  It's a throwback to times where farmland, fields that are being overgrown and succession forests ruled the landscape near rivers as opposed to tall stands of trees and parking lots.  I love the rural look and feel of this watershed.  I like the trout too.

I heard good reports in July of good catches including me in early July but yesterday's report from a friend was a blank if you don't count sunfish. My friend doesn't and neither do I except the big crappie earlier this summer which was a surprise.  In short, I figured all of this rain plus farmland terrestrials might be worth the chance.


First off, I skipped the usual popular spot (below the bridge) and went to my new favorite location which is upstream and that required a walk along this years cornfield. I liked the idea of fishing a shaded spot with great pools and runs with depth. This spot has it. It also has picture perfect dry fly water with an even current so that all casts ended up drag free!!!

I fished a dry fly, a generic caddis imitation in a size 16 and that deer body hair made it float like a cork. After two hours I was beginning to think that this would be a fishless day when I saw the rise!  It was up against a far bank and with the stream conditions that fly would float right over that trout and it did.  My brown was just a 10 incher but it felt good.  It was during the release that I saw the next rise, maybe 30 feet above the first one.

Again, it was going to be a perfect drift and this brown, a healthy 16 incher came to the net and was quickly released.

So, I decided to call it a morning and felt good about the 2+ hours spent there.  I wasn't expecting a lot of fish because freestone fishing in the dead of summer doesn't work that way. I could of fished subsurface and maybe caught more but dry fly conditions can't be passed up!!


Book Me

I'm the only guide in Massachusetts that regularly guides on 5 different trout streams.  Book a trip!!!


Ken



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this feeling all to well spent 4 hours so on the EB and only landed a healthy 16 inch rainbow… water was still a little high but it was nice to land one on the new fly rod and I didn’t see anyone else

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

A perfect EB day!!!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken the ware is a nice looking stream, I saw some of the upper stretches this spring and it looked very nice. I've heard talk of plus sized browns haunting this stream but haven't talked to anyone who actually has seen or caught one. I'd love to explore it further as I've only fished downstream in gilbertville. So many blue lines so little time !

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

It would be interesting if the DFW could survey this stream as to number/variety of species it carries. It seems like a "brown trout river".

Ken

Nathan Oliva said...

Hey Ken, what brand of fly line do you use again? Sorry for forgetting, thanks again!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Nathan,

Maxcatch on Amazon

Ken

Unknown said...

Hi Ken,

Tippet spool holder very well could be mine Ken. I lost it during one of our outings with David Porter. There should be both Orvis and Rio on it down to 6x. BTW, enjoyed fishing with you and learning about these waters!

Dick Osborne
11 Horicon Ave
Schuylerville, NY 12871
518-598-4380

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dick,

I declare that the tippet and spool holder are yours.

I'll put them in the mail early next week.

Ken

Unknown said...

Ken -- got them! Thanks so much for mailing them.

Dick

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dick,

You're welcome!!

Ken