Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, October 1, 2021

Doing The EB

 " Fly-fishing is a magic way to recapture the rapture of solitude without the pangs of loneliness." - John D. Voelker


My plan was to spend two hours on the EB Thursday
 to check out this wonderful river. It just got some fish to play with and I can say that they are there.  I didn't catch a boatload as in the past but enough to keep me excited over that short period. One was taken on a new type of scud that I've come up with and one was dropped. A reliable mini bugger took another with another dropped. A Rat's Nest, your typical easy to tie guide fly nailed the last.  My friend Brad did the same numbers with streamers but then headed down to Les's Pool after I left.  He probably did well.

It was good to fish this beautiful river and NOT catch 40 to 50 trout in a morning.  Why? Because you know that you are fishing fresh stockers that were not spread out at stocking or have not left their stocking point.  In short you had to fish for them and that is OK.  All were rainbows (of course) and between a foot long and 14 inches.

Go get them!!!

Book Me

The Millers has been stocked, the EB has been stocked!!! Time to get out and fish these rivers and not just the same old spots. Contact me if you want to get off the beaten path.  


Ken


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Planning on hitting the Swift this weekend with my friend's 13 year old daughter (teaching her to fly fish). Does anyone know if the brookies have started their spawning runs yet? Just want to keep off the redds. thanks
Tom from Boston

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tom,

The spawning run isn't in full swing as of yet but you can avoid any damage by avoiding the areas of clean gravel and walk on weeds, muck, leaf litter instead. Brookies will not spawn in those areas.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken I've only ever fished the eb in spring and early summer. I've had 20 fish days on this river. I can only imagine how nice the gorge section is when all the fall colors are in full swing

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul Fay,

Autumn is the best time on the EB. It's not HOT and the flows are usually good, the swimmers are gone and the fishing is good.

I've done well right up to Thanksgiving!!

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Ken, do you have any recommendations for fishing the other branches of the Westfield, the MB or WB, when the water is high and coming down (like now)? Do either the MB or WB come down to fishable levels quicker than the EB? Thanks for the insights you provide on your blog.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Scott,

The MB is seldom a high water problem. The WB comes down quickly but remember that the EB drops quickly too.

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Hi Ken, thanks for your comments. Really appreciate it. I'm looking to fish Friday and Saturday. I see the level is down on the WB. Does that fish okay in the fall? Am I right in thinking the EB still looks too high to fish?

Thanks!

Scott

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Scott Rice,

The WB is at 324 as I write (5am 10/8) which is a little high. It's not on the Fall stocking list so good luck. The EB is at 598 which is fishable but be careful.

Ken

Scott Rice said...

Thanks, Ken.