Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Fishing A Top Fall Fly, Watch Where You Wade And Something Good To Eat

                " The two best times to fish is when it's raining and when it's not" - Patrick F. McManus



My Partridge and Magic has been selling well  over the last month. Remember, this is the soft hackle that appears to have a yellow body until it gets wet and that's when it turns this wonderful light orange which is almost translucent.  It worked again on a second trip to the EB.  You can order them from me on my website by ordering the Partridge and Orange and then sending me an email saying you want the Partridge and Magic instead.  They are all the same price and the same size as the P&O.

Booking the Ware, Swift and the Millers.

The Ware and the Swift should be stocked this week and the Millers got their fish last week. Pick a river and we will hit it.

Scrambling Eggs

Watch where you are wading whether or not you are fishing the Swift or our numerous "thin blue lines". Clean gravel in fairly shallow water is off limits to us because this is where trout spawn.  If you wade in the river wade in the weeds, the muck, the leaf litter or on plain sand. And after the spawning is done and the trout go to who knows where, continue to stay off the redds until around February.


Stir Fry And My Ugly Feet

When I'm not fly fishing or fly tying I'm cooking
and that's the way it is and this September saw me getting reintroduced to Stir Fry and those wonderful Asian spices. It also gets me away from the charcoal and gas stoves for a bit and do some REAL indoor cooking.

(should of gotten a pedicure for that photo!!)


The Flyfishers Guide to the Millers

There is real only ONE GUIDE TO THE MILLERS and you can get it right here. (it's on the web but I have it at my finger tips.) I published this downloaded Guide 15 years ago and have given it away for the last 12 years or so. It has dozens of pages with dozens of photos and descriptions of the best pools and runs. Believe me, nothing comes close.  Just email me and I'll send it right out.

Ken


9 comments:

Sam said...

Good looking stir fry, Ken. I grill a lot too, but also enjoy a break from it once in a while.

A day like today, cloudy and threat of rain, is my kind of day. I seldom pass them up even if I can only fish for a couple hours. Partridge and orange produced a small brookie and a small brown. The brown was only about 9" and I thought it was a brookie bringing it in.

Slower water had the sipping trout active again which have been absent for a while. Dry dropper which has produced in recent outings drew no interest, though several dropper flies were tried, small hare's ear, scud, WD-40. Had one sip right near my flies so I pulled up but nothing doing; must have hit whatever natural they were feeding on and that fish was put down after my attempt. Others were rising so I kept trying.

I never could crack the code today on those sippers, but it's always interesting and fun when trout are looking up.

Best, Sam




Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good report Sam!

It's good to see that 9 inch brown. I wish there were more. Wonder what happened to those small LL Salmon we saw a year or so ago?

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I haven't caught any salmon since 2019, but a couple of months ago I did hook a nice fish that jumped 8 or 9 times before getting off. I am not sure if it was a remnant salmon or a spirited stocked rainbow. It sure fought like crazy. I spoke with a fellow recently who told me he caught a couple of small salmon this year in the vicinity of the last Bondsville dam.

Regards, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

That's the news I want to hear. There seems to be more small LL's down in Bondsville than upstream. I'd love to see a photo of one.

Ken

JonBoxboro said...

I was able to get a salmon about a half-mile downstream of the boat launch this summer. I will send a picture, caught it on a zebra midge fly. I was using a fishing stand up paddle board.

Paul Fay said...

I would love to run into a second or third year LL

Btown Jim said...

Ran into the DNR “shock team” as they took their boat out at cold spring road. They found some good browns, tons of brook trout, and rainbows up to about 20”. No salmon. They do not believe salmon or rainbows breed in the Swift. They seem less certain about the browns but think they hold over well but don’t breed much. Use your own judgement.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Btown Jim,

That is their story. Rainbows do not breed in the Swift and that is true. Browns will on occasion. Brook trout are very successful at it on the Swift and LL salmon that came over the dam in 2018 DID spawn and most likely produces the pint sized salmon that we are getting on occasion, especially down in Bondsville.

Ken

Anonymous said...

I recently got a new job over in the buckland colrain shelburn area and fished the north river for the first time Friday evening, beautiful water! It was a short trip but landed two healthy hard fighting rainbows one pushing that 18inch mark. I will be back!