Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Hello Dark Season

 "I do have some 7.5 foot 4 and 5 weight rods - plus a couple of 7 foot, 9 inchers. I use them a lot on small mountain streams and medium sized creeks and love them dearly, but I think anything shorter and lighter than that is too specialized  to be very useful. If you're spooking fish with an 8 foot, 5 weight rod, the answer probably isn't a 7 foot 3 weight.   The answer is a longer leader and a better cast". - John Geirach


An Empty Y Pool!!

Yup, the clocks have been turned back and now it's dark before 5pm. I can dress warmly but not having sunlight just drops things down a notch or three.  Yes, I fish through the winter but the rivers are now falling into cold mode. The Swift and the Farmie will be ice free (mostly) but the freestones will begin to lock up with the first few very cold nights. Add some snow to the mix and it's "Wait Until Spring".

I fish through the Winter not because I like winter fishing but because it's the only game in town and I can only tie just so many flies.  BTW, the worst ideas that came from my time on the vise have been during the dead of winter when most new creations look like a stroke of genius but by the middle of a balmy May leave me mumbling "what the hell was I thinking!!!

All is not lost. We still have some nice days left with the temperatures kissing 50 degrees and you still have some days left in that license.  And I'm still guiding!!!

Ken

                                                          Autumn On The EB



5 comments:

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken — I missed your last post on “woolly bugger George”. I too spent time with him and he was a very interesting character, and, no doubt, a true Swift River regular. I am saddened by his passing and hope it was peaceful. I’ll miss seeing his swath of white hair blowing in the wind and his dedication to his angling style.
-Andrew

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Andrew,

We will miss George. I was down by the Pipe yesterday and I almost expected to see him there.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

I know I'm always waving the squanny flag on this blog but this stream offers good winter fishing as well it seems to stay pretty open through the season especially under any dams and the fish really don't pull any disappearing acts here they spread out nice in the stream. I've had great days through December and also good days in February when the early stones start their migration to where ever it is they go but it's a sight to see the nymphs by the hundreds wriggling in the film as they float by !

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Yes, the Squanny is a special place where I really learned to flyfish. I've caught rising fish in December there too and then browns all summer long. Back then I only lived a half an hour away from the place so it seemed I lived on that river.


Ken

Paul Fay said...

Ken, yes solid river, easy access and easily overlooked, but I think it has a fair amount of underground seeps that keep the temps in a good range and just tons of cover and hidey holes for the browns