Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, November 5, 2021

Revisiting Scud Hooks On Soft Hackles And the Swift Lost A Regular


 



About 10 years ago I had a discussion on this blog about the use of scud hooks for soft hackles. There seemed to be s lot of interest in them back then but it appears to have tapered  off. 

I still tie them and use them but not as much as the straight shank hooks.  My question is: is anyone still using them?


George Cunningham (AKA Wooley Bugger George) R.I.P.

The Swift flyfishing community lost one of its greats with the recent passing of "Wooley Bugger George", a true Swift River original.  I first met George on the Indian Hollow section of the EB back around 1992 and the first thing that impressed me was how freely and openly he dispensed his fly fishing knowledge.  He even gave me a olive wooley bugger!!!! In the subsequent years we would run into each other on the Swift.  George was not "politically correct" and I really enjoyed that. 

So, 20 years of knowing  this man and I haven't one photo.  That makes me sad.

We will miss you, pal!

The brookies are on the move (so are the browns).

Ken


7 comments:

BrownMasterD. said...

I once Fished w/ Wooley George in the Bubbler Arm. Had as much respect for him as I do the Swift River. Drift Easy Wooley!!

Will

BrownMasterD. said...

Once Fished Brookies w/ Wooley George in the Bubbler Arm. Amazing individual, wanted to ensure I wouldn’t kill any. We became fast Friends due to my love and evironemental preservation of all things Swift River.

Drift easy Wooley, we’ll never forget you

Will

PS I have pics of some Brookies we caught together on that magical November afternoon.


nhflyfisher said...

Scud hooks: I will occasionally tie on scud hooks in the belief it resembles a curled up nymph of sorts. 'Wooley Bugger George': I met him many times on the river. You could him coming downstream and he would never stop. Just walking and casting. He would stop and chat, show me what he was using and then kept going. A true Swift River character.

Bob O said...

Yes Ken, I regularly tie soft hackles on scud hooks. I think the bend in the body emits the illusion of movement. Unsure if it makes any difference at all to the trout.

I am saddened to learn of George's passing. He was a good man. I often yielded to him as he'd approach in walking shoes, planning only to make a 'few' casts with his 000 wt rod and often a pellet or zebra midge. Standing at the Pipe's outflow, he generally was quite successful. My condolences to his family.

Anonymous said...

Wooley Buggers, San Juan Worms and Y2K's were all he needed.

A good man

Anonymous

Paul Fay said...

RIP Woodley bugger George he taught me how to roll buggers deep through the Y pool and it's a technique I still employ very regularly on all streams I visit, and yes I love scud hooks for SH flies they offer the perfect amount of weight to drop and lift flies through the water column and that has proven to be deadly for me.

Dave P said...

I'm so sorry to hear about George. He was a real "Swiftie." I always found him to be very generous. RIP, George.