Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, January 14, 2022

Crowd Makers

 

"Fishermen who care too much about the size and numbers of fish they catch are insufferable on good days and as harried as overworked executives on slow days. On the other hand, it's possible to be a happy angler who doesn't catch many fish; it's just that no one will ever say you're good at it." - John Gierach


Most of the flyfishers that I have met over the years can best be described as loners. Now, does that mean that they hate people and avoid them at all cost? Certainly not!  They just go the added mile to fish in solitude away from the crowd. When they do meet someone it's always a short pleasant encounter with a "hope you do well" send off.

I think one of the reasons people say that our rivers are too crowded (Swift, Farmington) is that some fly fishers can't help but make a party out of it. "Hey team, let's get a half dozen of us and overcrowd the nearest tailwater this Saturday."  Don't tell me this doesn't happen because I know of anglers who innocently admit to it.  The worst case of this is a group or fly shop that pulls up with a van or two of guys wanting a great day on a river. I have been asked if I wanted to join the fun but have always politely refused because those guys are going to ruin the day for many.  I once was accused of helping to sponsor a group trip to the Swift which crowded the place out and pissed the regulars off.  Bye the way, I never guide more than two on any river.

Before you label me as being too antisocial I can tell you of one veteran of group outings who totally admits to not liking to see others catch fish and he will hardly ever tell you where he fishes!!! I don't see the reason for this odd behavior because he fishes one of the most crowded streams in New England!! 

I like to spread the wealth by telling people where the fishing has been good. I will preach about the freestones which are never crowded and mention specific, out-of-the-way spots on the Swift knowing that nobody will really fish them.

Midge Flies

I got curious the other evening and began to check online fly shops to see what their midge selection looked like.  I was surprised to see that very few flies were offered smaller that size 20.  Even that size was a rarity.  Just to let you know I carry many flies down through size 24.  Size 26 will be coming soon. The tiny patterns that I offer are all successful on tailwaters like the Swift and the Farmington.

Ken







 
 
 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me fly fishing is a solo sport. It is meant to be one's self shared only with nature. Most all of my fly fishing days are spent solo and each is an adventure in themselves. When I do fish with someone, it is more about driving to a river together, meeting up for lunch and driving home. The bulk of the day is alone on the river.
I've never understood this "social group" mentality with fly fishing, heck I'm not even crazy about people posting information about fly fishing for others, as I believe its the personal journey, exploration and (possibly) rewards that come as a result of effort that makes this sport so unique. I would have zero interest in spending a day chatting away with a group of guys and gals while on a river

Millers River Flyfisher said...

I mostly agree but I love reading about flyfishing.

Ken

Paul Fay said...

I usually arrive to a stream with my two brothers and sometimes another long time friend, but we always spread out. Some of my best fishing has been done alone but some of h best days fishing have been shared with others. As long as everyone on the stream is practicing proper etiquette I have no problems, I love talking shop with the different guys and some of the Swift local legends like Dan T and others have imparted much wisdom to me and because of this I will always pass it forward, the first year I started fishing the Swift I really didn't catch many fish, I was used to free stone streams and at that point fancied myself an expert fly angler, boy the Swift took that wind out of my sails to say the least. I used to get very discouraged there and often times would make the two hour drive to find almost all the "good" spots taken but a little exploration can unlock secret areas on the Swift and many other streams where you seldom run into any anglers. And if you blue line you really won't see anyone, just you and the trout. Anyway that's my rant, thanks Ken and everyone here who shares knowledge be it locations or tactics