Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Natural Dyeing - It's Easy

 "If catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results." -Steve Stuver

Grizzly - after and before


I've dabbled in dyeing my own materials for years but with one condition: I have to use all natural dyeing materials and no manufactured compounds. This morning I decided to take my over - abundance of natural grizzly (basic black and white) and turn them into something more appealing. I wanted some grizzly that was of a brownish/golden hue.  Here's how I did it.

I buy my onions is a bag of about 10.  As I use them I save the loose brown outer skins. When I have enough (one bags worth) I'll put them in a pot of water and then wait for it to boil. In the above photo I dyed a 1/3 of a cape and boiled it slowly for 10 minutes. Throw some salt in the mix (I don't because it doesn't seem to make a difference) or some vinegar ( I don't for the same reason as above)

Take the 1/3rd cape out, rinse in cold water, sop up water with a paper towel and then hit with a hair dryer to speed it up.

The feathers come out a brownish gold - just right for Sulphurs!!

In late Summer you can do the same thing with marigold petals.

Speaking of Summer - I can hardly wait!!!!


One ad for the Marlborough Fly show says 21, 22 and 23 of January. Another ad says 22, 23 and 24 of January.  Go figure!!


Ken

3 comments:

DRYFLYGUY said...

My email notification about the fly fishing show says "moved to April"?
In my opinion, these stated dates will end up being a mistake being the beginning month of fly fishing season with season conditions permitting. Just thought this info was worthy of passing on....Phil

https://flyfishingshow.com/marlborough-ma/

Steve said...

Both of those dates are wrong for the Marlborough show. It's been postponed until April 22, 23, 24. Not sure how attendance will look- some fisherman might be otherwise occupied during late April weekends.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

It is confusing with two sets of dates.

Ken