Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Another Really Good Streamer Material

 "If I couldn't fly fish any longer I would still tie flies" - Me



I've mentioned that quote a million times over the past few years and I truly mean it.  It is especially true for ultra dry seasons like this one.  It gives us something to do and scratches that "fly fishing itch" that we have.


Here's the story on this very cool streamer wing material.  My daughter came back from Michael's Crafts with a bag full of this very fine gossamer synthetic yarn and said that she didn't like it and would I like to have it?  Now, I had been hatching plans to commandeer snippets of this material but now it's all mine.

What's it look like?

This yarn is tri-colored, a light blue that fades into a darker blue and then into a dark pink. You can cut off sections of this material and work up 12 inch streamers with it or tie little shiner patterns in a size 12?


It has an absolutely lifelike action and the light blue almost has the color of small eels. Its durability isn't up there with bucktail but it beats 
marabou and unlike bucktail this material likes to sink.

My daughter couldn't recall the name of the stuff but she said it was dirt cheap.   I caught a lonely striper on this material this morning and if the LL Salmon come over the dam this November I'll be waiting for them.


62 degrees this morning.  That's a start!!!!


Ken



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder if you can pull it apart and use as a synthetic dubbing as well? The pictured flies look like they would definitely fish well for LL salmon or even Lakers cruising the shores of the wachusett in April. Always love finding new materials for the vice.
Paul Fay

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

I'll have to see if this material comes in olive, brown and yellow.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Michael's has a lot of fly tying material at give away prices.

GW

Anonymous said...

I'd like to post a PSA of sorts. Folks our rivers and especially blue lines are very low. Let's give them a break until we get some water. I was at one of my wild brown locations last week and the deeper pools are loaded with fish and although tempting this is not in good sport to fish these conditions. Thanks
Paul Fay

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Good point Paul!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,
I took a mental health day off from work this week & hit the Swift. For the second time in 3 months a caught a 5” brown trout. Ran into another angler who told me he took a 7” brown recently. Obviously DFW doesn’t stock them this small so somehow there is a native population breeding there. I’m hoping it develops
Tom from Boston

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Tom,

The DFW says NO but we say otherwise. I've seen enough spawning activity by browns to think that some of it must be successful. A few years ago we had some LL Salmon come over the dam and set up a spawning shop in the Swift. A year later people began to catch tiny "browns" but they were salmon. Your fish were browns.

Ken