Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, August 27, 2022

That Caddis Again

 "There's no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm"


 DSM Caddis size 16

 Some times things just work out really well like a certain fly just ruling the day. This "certain fly" was a creation of Ric Flematti of Athol Ma and it wiped out the trout where the Cold River meets the Deerfield on one wonderful evening on that busy river. (Note: try fishing this river and all rivers for that matter IN THE EVENING during the Summer months). I was taking a few but Ric was hammering them and well into the double digits.  His fly was a caddis emerger shown on the left.  I tied some up and they did well but I began to forget about them.


Forward cast about 25 years and I am on the Swift on a balmy October afternoon just below the Duck Pond.  Again, I'm doing ok until My young friend Lenny shows up and goes from zero to 8 trout in a half an hour.  They were all big bows and when I asked what he was using he yelled out "Your Caddis Fly!!

                                                               

Needless to say, I don't leave home without it and it remains the same fly with just one alteration: I don't tie it in sizes larger than size 16. Strange but a size 12 or 14 just don't seem to work as well.

Hook - size 16 to 20m scud hook

Body - grey, tan or green rabbit dubbing

Hackle - Two turns (that's it) of partridge or starling in the smaller sizes

Head - ostrich or peacock, take your pick


Rain

"There are no active storms in the North Atlantic, Caribbean Sea, or the Gulf of Mexico ".  That statement was from a weather service dated 5/27/22 and it should raise concerns among well owners and fly fishers.   A drought like this will even effect tail waters if severe enough.   Yesterday's T'storms did little to push the needle except for fire warnings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Nice Caddis Fly

2. We could be in serious trouble without any tropical storms in the works.

B.T.

Anonymous said...

Ken I’m curious if anyone else experienced the huge hatch last Wednesday evening. Unfortunately I had golf clubs in my hand and not a fly rod but there were clouds of bugs everywhere at Franconia GC. I thought to myself maybe the recent rain storms that rumbled through finally gave the bugs reason to hatch. Possibly caddis? But of many sizes from what. I picked off my glasses and face!!

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken - Hope the coastal life is treating you well!

I know that fly as “Green Weenie” and it’s a killer trailer during caddis season. I take that to Montana and kill them on the swing! Great fly with or without the hackle.

Let’s hope for rain!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

I don't know without a sample or a good description. It's this time of year that we get ant swarms especially after some good rains.

Falsecast,

That green weenie looks like it has some "mop" in it's background.

Ken

Anonymous said...

FLYING ANTS!

Anonymous said...

Ken I'm a big fan of the dsm caddis ever since you posted about it a few years back, I have had success with this fly as a mayfly emerger as well. One place it has worked very well for me is the white mountains in NH

Anonymous said...

You have always called this the DMS Caddis but now it's the DSM? Have you changed the name to protect the innocent, or is this simply a mild case of dyslexia? I'm so confused and conflicted.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

DMS (I might need an editor)


Ken