Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, November 17, 2022

Tweaking A Wet Fly: The Millers Flymph

 

Two wrongs do not make a right but three do! - Anonymous



Well, the dark season is upon us and I don't like it. I've done a lot of Winter fly fishing but it was only to have something to do. No way would I give up a balmy day in May to trudge through snow and ice to wet a fly.  The great flyfishing publisher Nick Lyons once said that yes, there can be great midge fishing in Winter, but he needed the downtime of Winter and the thoughts of Spring to recharge himself.  Nothing wrong with that!

Then there's fly tying. Earlier this Fall I stated that there is no fly tying season for me because I tie all year long. During the "season" I'm busy tying inventory but in the Winter I get to experiment.  I've come up with the Millers Flymph.

Hook - light wire scud hook sizes 12 through 16

Thread - 8/0 brown

Tail (that's right) very sparse partridge fibers

Body - brown ice dubbing (don't go to the hook eye with the body but to about where the wing would be.)

Hackle - partridge (three turns)

Head - a few turns of ice dubbing again slightly pushing back the hackles.

This fly is like a soft hackle on steroids and imitates all those bigger mayflies and caddis of Spring.  I'll be stocked up by the time April rolls around.

Ken


4 comments:

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ken,

I like that fly. It has a nice scruffy look to it.

GW

Bruce said...

Ken, Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family and your blog readers!


Bruce from Merrimack Valley

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Same to you Bruce!!!

Ken

Brian Miner said...

I'm not a great fly tier so when you added the anonymous quote "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three do!", that describes my fly selection skills AND my fly tying skills. A great cast and presentation can make up for fly selection and/or my "needs improvement" fly tying capabilities. It's like Thanksgiving dinner, everything doesn't need to be perfect to be enjoyed. Hope you had a great day.