Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Monday, April 10, 2023

My Toughest Trout




"I don't really know how to tie a fly until I've tied a hundred dozen of them". John Gierach

 



First, the toughest trout, the ones that are burned into my memory, have never been Swift or Farmington River trout but are freestone river trout such as two that I took in the Millers and the  Squanacook over a span of 20 years.   Why is that?  That's because those two trout found a spot in the Millers that they felt safe in and never left those two spots for the entire season. Their chosen spots were fairly shallow drifts with overhanging brush which meant your casts had to be PERFECT. One bad cast, and there were many, and they would be down for the day, sometimes longer.  I never really encountered that situation on tailwaters where the whole river is trout friendly. A Summer freestone has fewer friendly spots and you have to find out where they are.

A Squannacook brown took advantage of it's overhanging cover for over two months until a perfect cast of a size 16 sulphur (type) fooled that 16 inch brown.

I fished for a very reluctant brown on the Millers from early June until my October birthday. Its spot in the current was almost impossible to present a dry fly to. It was still hitting emergers even after a night time rain so I switched over to a size 16 partridge and orange SH, draped the leader over a boulder and finally hooked it.  It was only 12 inches long but if every future trout is exactly like that one I would be fine. P.S.


In short, I've caught plenty of bigger trout but not better trout.

P.S.

There's a brown on the Ware River that has found the perfect hiding place and has tempted me for two years. Maybe this year.....


Ken



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great topic Ken. Catching is not always the main reason we go
a-fishing. I have three fish that come to mind, two browns and a rainbow. And although I hooked, fought and managed all three to the tip of my net, I landed none of them. Those are the ones that haunt you for life.

Matthew said...

I just have a quick question. Do you know how to get to or within walking distance, approx 1 1/2 miles or less, to the Swift River with public transportation?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Matthew,

No

Rick said...

Hi Ken -
For Matthew on public transport to the Swift. Buses run from Amherst MA to Belchertown (35 min) leaving 3.9 miles East on Rt 9 to get to the Rt 9- Swift River Bridge. Uber? Used google maps. Sadly coming from Boston or Springfield requires getting to Amherst it seems.

Hooray - browns stocked in the Millers, Ware and Westfield - among others.

Happy springtime to all

Anonymous said...

My best fishing moment ever was setting the hook on a 6 lb sea run New Zealand brown trout. I stalked this fish forever in shallow gin clear water, dropped the leader over a Boulder with a small dry fly and watched the take in slow motion. That fish took off and broke off my leader in a millisecond, but the satisfaction of working so hard and tricking that giant beast brought a massive rush of euphoria. Best fish I never caught.

Bob O said...

For Matthew,
There is a Palmer to Ware PVTA route that has a loop to Bondsville. Three minute walk to the river.

Seeing a big fish, stalking and inducing the take is most satisfying. Once hooked presents its own set of challenges. Now one has to land it. I've had more than a couple, cut and run ending my adventure with a limp line. And on occasion one has come to the net. It seems those that detach are the most memorable.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Appreciate you keeping up all the posting and comments. Been a while since I posted here, but this topic resides in all of us, love it!

I have several "toughest trout" memories. Many times saw a trout I wanted to fool - often hidden away in tough structure, sipping midges. Many times I failed to induce a strike, sometimes got one, landed a few. All those memories remain etched in my mind in a positive sense. We all have some of those.

But that one "toughest trout" memory that will live in my own infamy is one I'll name the Tree Pool "Taunter".

I have had some success over the years there, and other days of no interest in my offerings. But there is one fully obstinate Rainbow that loves to taunt me (may be several different Bows but for this story they all share the same attitude).

After wading carefully and positioning for a good drift, occasional success happens. Then after feeling good about my efforts - there HE is. Looking at me, smiling a bit, taunting me with that Bow smirk that remains in my mind. As I'm planning my next cast up and across, the "Taunter" appears out of nowhere and positioned 2 feet downstream below my left leg. No even hidden by structure, he (or maybe she) is positioned in shallow water with clear sand bottom watching me while enjoying the gentle wake my waders create.

I will not succumb to that taunting. Wait...... yes I will.... I'll teach that Bow to taunt me like that. So I begin a succession of drifts to fool that Stockbow (after all they are dumb no?). First few drifts involve various body contortions to get a good drift right behind you. Looking like a confused gymnast, I cannot get the proper presentation.

So I try drifting the fly behind me for a better drift..... nope, line gets caught in my net and I almost lose my balance. The Taunter remains in position, and I think laughed out loud a couple times. Other fly fishers probably watching me and thinking "Oh that poor man...".

Now it's personal. Finally, after many, many attempts, I figure out the process ands start to get good drifts. Almost bumping the Taunter's nose several times.... no interest. I marvel at how easily he slides a few inches to the left or right to allow the tasty fly to pass by. I internally debate netting him just to satisfy my testosterone, yet even I have limits. I begin talking to the trout (or myself I guess).

Several more attempts, good and bad drifts, fly selections, tangles, and even a staredown don't work. Sooner or later the Taunter tires of this game and drifts away. Came back briefly to wink at me, then disappeared alltogether.

You would think a dumb Stockbow would have some empathy towards a dumber flyfisher and at least take a pass at my presentation. Not going to happen today.

I will never succumb to that sort of challenge again. Well, maybe....

That is my toughest trout memory.

I wonder if our fellow board flyfishers have had similar experiences?

Thanks again Ken for all you do here..... Jim M

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jim M,

Great tale. Thank you!!

Ken