Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Another Look At Hen Hackles

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it. - Arnold Gingrich



I've ignored this hackle material for a while and I shouldn't have. Hen hackle is dirt cheap, easily available, (word has it that partridge is going to get scarce) and can be dyed any number of buggy colors. It winds onto the hook very well in sizes 10 through 14 which will fill the bill for those larger Springtime mayflies and caddis. The above fly is a study in OLIVE:

Hook - size 12 wet fly hook
Body - olive rabbit tied buggy
Rib - fine copper wire
Hackle - olive dyed hen hackle.

If this fly doesn't look like an emerging caddis I don't know what does!!!!!


As I said, this material comes in many colors and is widely available. I bought mine at the Deerfield Fly Shop.

Keep tying and experimenting. Spring will be here soon enough!

Ken














10 comments:

Lenny said...

A case can be made that spring will be here next week! Days over 40?!?!?

Lenny

BobT said...

I like hen hackle and have a bunch but don't use it nearly enough but if partridge is going to get scarce; I'm stocking up!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

I hope so!! We could use a good old fashion thaw and have the woodchuck call for an early Spring.

BobT,

Same with me except the only colors I had were brown and grey. I like the dyed olive cape that I bought because it's nice and mottled.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

My brother tried to get me to go ice fishing this morning. 12 below zero killed that. It's a day for tying flies I guess!

Roger M.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Roger M,

It's been 20 years since I ice fished. Next year will be 21 years!!!!
Ken

Unknown said...

Is it still fly fishing if I auger a few holes in the ice and throw a heavy nymph down the hole with my 2wt? Lol

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Ross,

Only to a tight line euro nympher. They think as long as you use a fly it's fly fishing!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Great looking fly, do you think that olive dyed partridge would work in place of the hen neck?

Jock Scott

BobT said...

Used my Christmas gift certificate this morning to order 3 Hungarian Partridge skins, 2 new shades of dyed india hen back and a Hebert Hen neck in medium brown dun...I am doing some LW Coachmans and some Partridge and Orange this afternoon. I haven't used a LW Coachman in years but I used them before I started tying from my dad's box and as I recall, I had a lot of fun with that fly before I got obsessed with throwing drys.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Jock Scott,

Yes it would but I like the natural color(s) of partridge and dyed hen is so inexpensive.

BobT,

The Leadwing Coachman was a favorite fly on the Millers back in the 40's and 50's. I should tie some up!

Ken