Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Friday, March 16, 2018

Freestones Part 2 -The "Other" Westfield, The WB


A miserable concoction of wire and wool, a thing anyone could make in less than a minute, and which to the human eye has not the slightest resemblance to any living creature’. Frank Sawyer on his Killer Bug


The WB of The Westfield

I was suiting up on the banks of the West Branch of the Westfield when this pickup pulls up. "Any luck" the driver said. I said I was just getting ready and then asked the same question to him. I caught him! Been after him for two weeks". The "Him" was a rainbow about 22 inches that was caught and released and he did this on one of the most beautiful streams in western Massachusetts - The WB.

This river is truly a "branch" of the Westfield unlike the so called "East Branch" which is really the main stem of the Westfield (ask the Army Corp of Engineers, they'll tell you). The EB carries twice as much water as the WB which doesn't make it a branch at all. But even with half the volume it is just as good a trout river as the EB and maybe even better. First, this watershed runs through a fairly narrow valley meaning that the river is not that wide and spread out so it keeps its depth. Second, being a fairly narrow stream it benefits from the shade canopy. Maybe that's why it runs so cool in the summer.

Yes, Rt 20 runs along its length but you don't have the steady stream of bathers, bikers, hikers and dog walkers that you get on the popular EB.

You Are Alone

If solitude is your style this is the river. If you meet anyone it will be a fisherman. I have fished for hours and seen nobody.

The Fishing

This river reminds me of the Deerfield but drawn down to scale. Bows and browns rule the roost and it is the summer home of main branch trout seeking relief from the heat. A drawback will occur when we hit a mid summer drought but that occurs on any freestone.



The Wb is a gem and is not too hard to find. Take a brake from the EB and try the WB. Standard offerings used in central New England will work here.


Ken












8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't fished this river since I was a younger man. It was always a good river and has that Deerfield feel to it. This spring for sure.

Roger W.

Sam said...

So much beautiful water in Western Mass and so little time to fish it. I have to manage my time better, Ken. If this is the Dayville area I had a fine day fishing dry flies there many years ago. Wulff type flies as I recall.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Dayville is where you would find the Middle Branch of the Westfield, another gorgeous stream. The WB is in Huntington and Chester.

Yes, the MB is custom made for Wulff flies!!

Ken

John Strucker said...

I totally agree with your description of the West Branch, Ken. I almost gave it a pass after running into "rock snot" a couple of years ago which caused me to wash the heck out of my boots and waders. But the river has been running clear and beautiful since then.

I've also encountered some 20-inchers there. (Notice I said "encountered" not "landed.") And, last June, while fishing in mid-morning, I saw a ton of BIG Green Drake spinners clinging to the rocks. Note to self: This June be sure try fishing the WB into the dark when those big drakes emerge.

Best thing about the WB? As a semi-retired bum who's able to fish on weekdays, I've never run into another angler.

John Strucker said...

Ken,

I totally agree with your description of the WB - scenic, some big fish, and, fishing mid-week, I never saw another angler. A couple of years ago the WB was clogged with "rock snot", but it's been clear and clean since.

Last June I ran into some HUGE #8 Green Drake spinners clinging to the rocks in mid-morning. This year I'll be sure to fish the WB at dark to try to catch their emergence.

Looking forward to your comments on the MB.

Best,
John

Millers River Flyfisher said...

John,

From one semi-retired bum to another - maybe I'll see you there!

Ken

Unknown said...

I’ve been to the west branch but it’s always seems crazy low! I must be going to the wrong sections. Maybe even the wrong river! Is this the one across from the creamery?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Joe,

If you go in mide summer it can be low but April, May and June are good and the water stays cool regardless of the flow.

Ken