Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Rivers, Swift River Brookies And Book Me!

"Fishing in a place is a meditation on the rhythm of a tide, a season, the arc of a year, and the seasons of life" - Carl Safina


FINALLY, it appears that the rain has stopped and the rivers are coming down. As I write this morning the numbers are in: The Ware = 230 cfs, the EB = 407 cfs, The Millers = 982 cfs! All of these numbers are trending DOWN with the only real high water being the Millers. The Ware and the EB are fine AND there is NO RAIN IN SIGHT until a week from Saturday.

That means we will be on the Ware, EB and Millers this weekend for sure.

BOOK ME - There's been a lot of pent up demand to hit the other rivers and I think that I'm going to get some guiding requests for the next two weeks. If you want a day or a half day on the river EMAIL ME with a few dates that will work for you. This weather has been great with temperatures reaching the high 40's and low 50's just like in April!!


Swift River Brookies
I saw my first surge of brook trout rounding the bend down in Cady Lane this week. There were more of them on Tuesday then I've seen in months with a story of one of 14 inches being caught "above the Pipe". This is what we've been waiting for!!!  Keep them coming!!!


The Y Pool continues to produce in the strangest ways. One fellow lands a trout on a size 24 and another on a size 8 stripped through the water like a demon. My merganser fly and even the lowly wooley bugger got into the act. Also, check any rainbows in the Swift for clipped fins and mark the location. They want to know where these guys disappear too.

Note - All of the photos of trout caught on this post were taken by clients just this week. Get in on the action and book me!!!








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Good to see the Brookies starting to appear although I don't mind the rainbows in the meantime.

Far and Fine

Paul said...

Hi Ken,
What an interesting Tuesday afternoon I had on the Swift. The fishing was great and the sightseeing was both majestic and down right weird. I'd only been down to the pipe area twice this year and since it was relatively quiet,I decide to start there. I had a couple of nice rainbows to the net on the always reliable black zebra midge, but the highlight of the day was a big, powerful rainbow that took a size 18 red copper john and forced me to cross over the river from the pipe side and fight it all the way down to the top of the tree pool - very fun! I hooked, fought and lost another 4-5 fish with a couple of them snapping the tippet. I was impressed by just how much energy these fish had!

Even though I had the pipe area to myself at 4pmish, I decided to head downstream toward Cady Lane. This is where it gets weird. As I started down the path, I suddenly saw this stark naked guy jogging ahead of me. Naturally, I couldn't resist the urge to give this guys some lip hoping he would disappear, but that wasn't the case. I eventually had to go back down into the river because it was clear this nut job was not going to get out of the path. I'm not sure what his deal was, but running around naked in 55 degree weather and acting like that is pretty brazen.

Back to the fishing....I had fun casting to some fish sipping emergers halfway down to Cady Lane. I was eventually able to fool a nice rainbow with a split case BWO emerger which I hung 3-4 inches under a small "mr. humpy" dry fly. It put up a beautiful fight and then shot into a downed tree, broke me off, and proceeded to leap a couple of feet out of the water upstream.

As I ended the day and started walking back to the car I had 3 bald eagles circle overhead. Their bright white heads almost looked electric in late afternoon light. As I got back up to the pipe area, there was a massive eagle sitting in a tree limb right next to the hatchery stream pecking away at a very large trout trapped in his talons. Pretty cool!

Paul


Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

A naked man was seen down in Cady Lane this past summer bathing in the river.
we were their Tuesday morning and there were rising trout. It's funny how the place empties out in the late afternoon too.

Ken

BrownMasterD. said...

Have to fold due to work commitments. Brookies are running heavily and feeding topside, just above the falls in back of Catch and Release. Thanks to all who showed me how kind this Fly Fishing community can be. God Bless����


Will

BrownMasterD. said...

Brookies have been steadily pushing up through Catch and Release. Yesterday and Today. I literally hooked, landed, and released roughly three dozen gorgeous fish. Running the entire age spectrum, pure magic. Have photographic proof if anyone’s interested, alas back to work commitments and colder temperatures. Thanks to all for making me feel like I belong on the Swift River, helping me shake fears and doubts. Ken your blog will help me get through this Winters blues. Long Live Brook Trout����

Best


William D. Flack

Dave P said...

Goodness gracious, Paul--that was some day!
Cheers,
David

Sam said...

Ken,

Tough conditions in Bondsville today. The wind doesn't bother me much, but the leaf and pine needle hatch was going on big time as expected this time of year. Fished with a partridge and orange and stuck with the fly through out, with a split shot early on to stay below the debris. Nothing doing and the pine needles grabbed the leader anyway. I ditched the split shot and immediately connected with a high flyer, and another hit at the end of the drift that did not connect. Satisfied to connect amongst the flotilla of debris I called it an outing.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

It's the pine needle season for sure. Be glad that you don't tie your own leaders!!

Ken