Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Broken Rods Part 2 And A Simple Streamer

"Now if fishing larger waters I can definitely see the benefit of using a 9' or 10' rod (so graphite) to keep as much line off the water as possible, but for smaller or mid-size waters, or where I can wade further out, I think an 8'ish glass rod is fine. Now I do think that the best all-around nymphing rod is 10' 4 wt, but I generally grab the rod I want to use on a particular day and just make it work. " Comment found on the Fiberglass Flyrodders Forum. "and just make it work" is priceless!! He's my new hero!!! - Ken




As stated in a previous post there seems to be a rash of broken nymph rods within the last two years. Although most of the damage is caused by operator error one has to question the design of a rod that is longer than most and lighter than most. Are we reaching the end of reliable construction and design to reach the dubious longer/lighter goal? Maybe!

The fly rod industry has made quick use of the single foot guide (photo on the left) in nymph rod construction. There are a few advantages to single foot guides. First, a lot of the labor disappears because you are only wrapping one foot instead of two(advantage manufacturer). Second, and this is dubious, you have decreased weight by having only one foot and only half the thread and thread coating to add weight to the rod. Weight, by it's self, is a bogus argument. What should be of supreme importance is the balance of a rod, not the weight. My 4wt bamboo rods are heavier than  a 4wt graphite but they are effortless to cast and that's balance!!  My 10 year old Orvis Zero Gravity, (ok it's a shameless plug,) is a  9 foot 5wt that has perfect balance and wants to cast by itself!

Could it be that rod breakage may be the result of the lack of wall support that you get by wrapping only one guide foot instead of two?   Maybe!                                               two footed guide

Could it be that a snake guide has more clearance for the line to run though than for single foot guides? Again, maybe!

The quote at the top of the page is important.  You can make almost ANY rod work without a lot of hair splitting over length and weight. It certainly beats sending your rod back with a $50.00 check to get it fixed.  I just don't fish soft hackles but have spent decades catching lots of trout dead drifting weighted flies without breaking an "All Around" rod because I will not fall for the industry belief which is of creating a solution in search of a problem (that's called Marketing). Again, read the quote at the top of the page.  I'll make the rod work!!!

Instead of the goofy idea of carrying two rods with you when you hit the river carry a moderately fast 9 ft, 4 or 5wt rod and you will cover almost every situation that you encounter.





A Simple Streamer
I used this simple streamer in the Florida surf last March to catch pompano, Spanish Mackerel, blues and ladyfish.  It works for salmon and trout too.  The salmon and trout version is tied on a 4x long size 10 or 12 streamer hook with a black or pink floss body with 8 or 10 wraps of crystal flash left long to tie over the body. Then comes white craft fur for the wing and 2 strands of flash over the wing. Dirt simple and very effective! Keep the craft fur sparse. You can still see it as the trout/salmon smack it!!!

I hope that Christmas was good for you.  We only have 5 days left of that 2018 license to play with!!

Ken


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, live paycheck to paycheck and spend the bulk of my Salary on my beloved Dogs. Got beyond blessed this Christmas, my Family bestowed a multitude of Bass Pro Shops Gift Card’s upon me. First new Fly Fishing Gear in Fifteen years, White River equipment and the best I’ve ever had the means to purchase.


Used the Blog to make my purchasing Decisions.

Best

Fly Fishing Anonymous

Anonymous said...

Well, I own both older and newer Euronymphing rods. While the new rods are much more accurate and sensitive, I think they are under higher stress based on the Graphite and thus can't handle as much abuse. Just my $.02 with no empirical data to support. Might be the same issue with higher modulus "all around rods" vs my IM6's?

Lenny said...

I’ve been using a 8’6” 6 wt superfine glass rod the whole time in Argentina and it’s hands down my favorite rod. The nice thing about them is even the heavy 6 wt can whirl around size 18s not that I’ve needed to!

Lenny

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Lenny,

I fished only glass for 10 to 12 years and I caught plenty of trout on small dries with that 5-6 weight rod. I still have that old Fenwick. I also have a Dale Clemens 7.5ft 6wt fiberglass blank that I'd like to put together. The truth is I've been throwing 5 and 6wt lines the past two months for salmon and that weight line is a dream to cast.

Fly Fishing Anonymous,

When I retired my company gave me a fat certificate to BPS. I walked out of there with a dozen fishing shirts, an electric smoker and just about all of my Christmas shopping!!!

Anonymous,

I don't think it's the graphite but probably the design of the rod. Also, YouTube videos are showing a lot of violent macho hook sets which may weaken a rod. No need to do that in fly fishing.

Ken

Hibernation said...

Love the simple little streamer Ken. Question on the krystal flash...
When building that streamer are you:

1.) put a thread base down.
2.) tie in flash, then floss.
3.) pin the flash to the shank as you wrap the floss body
4.) tie off floss at head.
5.) rib body OR cover body with flash (pearl/silver/gold/ doesnt matter).
6.) tie off flash sticking forward of the head, for now.
7.) tie in craft fur (AKA, pure awesomeness)
8.) Fold flash back over the top, tie down.
9.) Whip finish and glue/UV cure or however you choose to finish the head

Just checking on the flash in particular. Love the simplicity!
Will

PS - Happy Christmas and New Years!

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Will,

Mine is very simple:

Tie in the floss and then two strands of flash at the bend.

Wrap the floss forward and then two strands of flash wrapped forward. Make the flash ends long enough to bend them back to the bend in the hook.

Tie in a THIN wing of craft fur so it extends a half hook length beyond the bend.

Two more strands of flash lying above the fur wing.

Head cement on the head.

Fish love to wack this fly in fast/disturbed water be it a river or the surf. This fly was above the crest of a wave when a blue left the water by a foot to wack it!!!

Ken

Falsecast said...

Hi Ken , I want to wish you and all the readers of this blog a very happy new year! I might just go out in this rain and get the last use of my license in. It’s been a very good year for fishing, and I hope the brook trout spawn survived the high water for next year. Either way it will be fun finding out :-) health and happiness to everybody!
Andrew

Joe C said...

Ken, as you know I do a lot of Euro style nymphing with an older model Greys 10’ 2wt. A heavy rig for me is a size 16 bead head point fly and a size 20 - 26 unweighted on a tag. And no I don’t use an indicator or “sighter” in my leader. Never had any problems with my rods. My belief is that most of the people who are trying to Euro nymph have no clue what they are doing. Dedicated nymph or streamer fisherman have been using split shot or weighted flies and streamers for decades without having an issue of broken rods like you see today. It’s because they understand that the proper casting style has to be done to move the fly back upstream. Most do not false cast, they just sweep their rod in an arc and drop their fly/streamer back to the head of the run they are fishing.

The Swift is a great place to watch fish and how they react to their food. You can see a fish move easily up to ten feet to take a fly, be it a nymph, emerger or dry. The idea of Euro nymphing is to have a heavy “control” fly on th bottom so you can get the dropper in the zone you are fishing. Yes, you could just put a split shot on the bottom and fish with one fly.

Okay back to the Euro newbi who is trying to cast two weighted flies. He is usually false casting like he is trying to dry out cdc on a midge. Thwack, $h**# what was that? Ah, not important just keep on fishing. Then when the rod breaks they go ???

Sam said...

Ken,

First off Happy and Healthy New Year to you and your family.

Early this afternoon I headed to the Swift, Bondsville industrial park area that I know pretty well. Usually I don't fish two flies, but when I tie on new 5X I do leave a tag end on for a dropper and fish it until either fed up with or it gets broken off. Today I had on a hare's ear bottom fly and scud dropper with two split shots in between.

Fishing those flies in seams amongst the fast water got no results so I headed upstream to what is usually very soft water, but now is pretty swift, but not rapids. On a fairly short line I see the line slightly hesitate which might mean bottom, maybe not. Sure enough I lift up and am connected. Had to be a brown the way it kept digging deep.

Wish I could say I brought it to net, but it tangled me up in sticks and a wad of mono hooked to the bottom fly. Mono and sticks were hauled up and properly disposed of when I got home. I have to believe it hit the top fly being the bottom fly was attached to the mess. It always amazes me how the browns know how to keep digging deep to tangle you up with anything they can find down there.

Still fun to connect and no regrets with the clean long distance release along with mono being hauled out of the river.

Best, Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Good that you got to battle with a Bondsville Brown to end the year. Bondsville is a tricky place to wade but in this high water it must be a bear!!

Joe C,

Perfectly said plus casting 30 feet of mono can be VERY ungainly. I've used weighted flies and shot, WHEN NEEDED, for years. Most of the time you don't need the weight. If you use weight all of the time you will have a higher % of breakage.

Andrew,

I think the brookies will be fine. Cady Lane was loaded with 3 to 5 inch fish this past November and they will be next years spawners.

Ken