Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Slim Streamers And The Swifts Salmon

"Want What You Have" - Timothy Miller




This wonderful salmon season just continues week after week and should run right into the Spring. Eggs and such worked very well when most of the salmon were on their redds but that activity is on the wane. Soft Hackles (partridge and orange again) and nymphs will come into action as has the streamer fly.

I have a love/hate relationship with streamers.  They were designed and  built to imitate bait fish such as rainbow smelt and small trout but the great, old New England patterns missed the mark on that.  Let me explain.  Smelt and small trout are slender fish whereas many tradition fly patterns are robust. The great Carrie Stevens recognized this and developed the Grey Ghost Streamer where the feathers that form the body are tied onto the sides of the hook and not tied on top of the hook which created the slender profile.  Sadly, that slim profile began to leave us when Carrie did. Our tiers went right back to the old method.


Luckily marabou solves the problem! When wet it is slender as a smelt and has that lifelike action that a  fixed wing or bucktail cannot achieve.  Most of my streamer patterns of the last 30 years are marabou patterns.

Now, you see that my samples are bead heads and that is because of the 600 cfs flow of the Swift. Back in the winter of 2011/2012 I didn't use weighted streamers even though the flow was over 500 cfs and still caught fish.  I carry both styles.

Hint - almost all of the salmon caught on this pattern were caught on the drift/swing!!!!!

When tying this fly use very little material. If you think that you've used enough you have probably used too much.

I should name this pattern.  How about The Route 9 Smelt?


Salmon Update

As mentioned earlier the salmon are leaving the redds  and many of the fish that you catch will not be in plain sight as a few weeks ago. Be very aware of the calmer areas along the shore. Even big salmon need to take a break from this high current.  And don't forget the trout. They are all over the place!! It's funny how a 16 inch rainbow becomes just another fish when you have 26 inch LL's on your mind.



Book A Trip - Yes, I'm still guiding.  Book for the remainder of this year or next year!!



The Eastside Grill in Northampton has always been a favorite of mine BECAUSE of their Cajun entrees.  Sunday evening I had their version of Jambalaya which was perfect for that cold day. It was as good as their Chicken Etouffee which has always been a personal favorite.   Long live Cajun Food!!!


Ken















16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Two things. I like those slim streamers and as you said smelt and such are slim bait fish. Second, the Eastside Grill is a favorite and I wish I could get there more often!

Ken

bfb said...

Ken,

Though I live in upstate NY, I've had the great fun of fishing the Swift several times with my son who recently moved to MA. We've had a blast fishing this beautiful tailwater together and I can't thank you enough for sharing your intimate knowledge of this river and other waters of your region in such great detail... your suggestions are practically a public service! Reading your blog with coffee in hand is now a delightful part of my morning ritual. I am eager to tie up a few or your latest offering (the "Slim Swifty"?) and give them a try. Happy Holiday to you Ken.

bfb

Millers River Flyfisher said...

bfb,

I'm glad that you enjoy the blog. I'd like to think that this blog is a public service that highlights area rivers and where to fish them. My commenters back this up with first hand fishing experiences on these rivers. That's what this blog and its contributors have done.


Great! I will continue as long as I get the attention of fly fishers like YOU!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of Fulsher's thunder creek patterns. Add a little Marabou under the bucktail when tying and you have a slim streamer that has nice movement.
BTW, I think most of the traditional streamers were for trolling in lakes and as you know the smelt have varying sizes from skinny to 1/2 inch deep. Tough to beat a traditional Grey Ghost.

Dave P said...

Ken
Cool streamer! Is the "back" peacock herl? Is there a rib or wrap on the body, on top of the thread? Any other materials in there?

Also very simple but, I think, beautiful streamer is the Wood Duck Heron. I've tied up a few of these recently and can't wait to fish 'em! You can vary the colors add flash etc.

Cheers
Dave

Sam said...

Ken,

First off that jambalya looks darned good. My wife makes a good one as well once in a while which I always enjoy. She loads it up with shrimp and chicken. What a treat.

I appreciate you posting the picture of your smelt streamers. A few nights ago I almost made a post to ask what your smelt flies looked like and now I see them. Thank you. I don't have white marabou, but tied up a couple tonight with white CDC and they look pretty good. I would love to connect with one of the salmon swimming in the Swift now.

Sunday late afternoon I passed on watching the Pats 2nd half and fished Bondsville for an hour and a half. Came back to the truck when done and heard the bad news on the radio.

I still felt pretty good though having netted a great fighting brown near dark that hit the #14 hare's ear at the end of the drift in some slower type water. I fished fast water before that with the drop shot rig you talked about previously and got no action, but the one hang up I had on the bottom resulted in both flies coming back. Only thing missing was the split shot on the tag end which is the aim.

I haven't been able to fish in a good while so it sure felt good to have that nice brown on. Somewhat slim from spawning activities I figure, but a darned good one.

Best, Sam





Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

The back is peacock and the body is two shades of marabou. Orange floss body with a rib of midge crystal flash wrapped around it.

Sam,

Glad that you got that brown and that the drop shot worked well.

Cajun food and cold weather are a good match.

Ken

Dave P said...

Thanks, Ken. I'll try it!
Dave

Dave P said...

PS I kind of like "Slim Swifty."

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dave,

That's good. I'll think about it!!

Ken

Dave P said...

"Slim Swifty" was bfb's idea, above. Can't claim credit!
Dave

bfb said...

Happy to share fellows. "Svelte Smelt" also occurred to me but did not want to push the word play too far on first blog comment...just having fun.

Dwight said...

Ken, did I hear correctly that there are LL salmon in the Swift?? Thx

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dwight,

YES! That's all I've written about for the past month!

Ken

Dwight said...

Nice Ken. Thanks. Would like to book a trip next year to explore some new water like the westfield. Look forward to connecting

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Dwight,

Have a great holiday season and we will see you next year!

Ken