Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine - The West, Middle Branches Of The Westfield And The Farmington


"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be".  John Gierach

Photo by C. Perez and Eastern Flyfishing Magazine
Writer Christophe Perez and Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine have hit the bullseye again with another splendid article about Western Ma. flyfishing, namely the West and Middle Branches of the Westfield River System.  These are two rivers that deserve your attention and will get you off of the beaten path.  I was honored to act as a guide for Christophe and I was honored to be given the cooks tour of the branches by Gary Cranson, the Wizard of the Westfield!!!

The article is in the September/October 2019 issue of Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine and it's on the news stands and was mailed last week.  BTW, there's a story on the Farmington River in the same issue.  I subscribe to this magazine and so should you!!!  And remember, check out Upcountry Fly Shop's  Website before you plan a Farmington trip.  It's like this site - you can trust what's in it!!!

The Rivers

The Millers, as I write, is at 152 cfs which is dead on average for the flow. Fish it in the evening!!!

 The EB is at 54 cfs. If you think that it's too low then check out the comments by Gary about the boney Middle Branch. It seems that the browns don't mind the flow at all.

The Swift keeps chugging along at 114 cfs which is close to double the historical flow and for good reason.  We are in a drought and Quabbin is higher in August than it's been in the last four years. It's at 95.5% capacity and will have to be drawn down before Fall I would assume.

Note: Get to the Swift EARLY or stay LATE.  You may be crying about the crowds if you don't!

I will tell you that I really miss that mid day sulphur hatch that we had on the Swift in June and July. So many mayflies, so many trout!!!  The one thing about fishing a tailwater is that the flows are fairly stable and so are the insect hatches.  The high Spring flows on the Swift probably pushed back the hatches about a week and that is nothing.  Same for the freestones.  One has to remember that trout and the insects that they feed on don't give a damn about OUR hatch charts.  Those are for our entertainment and are usually worthless anyway.

An Easy Trico



Size 20 to 24 standard dry fly hook

Black thread for the body, about two layers

The wing is your choice of either white snowshoe or fine synthetic post material. Lay it across the hook shank and crisscross it in. Then pull up the ends tightly and snip it. Then use very fine black synthetic dubbing to build a foundation to support the wing.

I use synthetic dubbing for tiny dries because, I believe it absorbs less water AND gives me the nice, tight body that I like.

8/21 - BTW, Upcountry Fly Shop is reporting good trico spinner action as of 8/20 in the C&R and upstream.



Ken





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Good article and a very good issue for that magazine.

JG

Anonymous said...

We're in a drought?

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?northeast

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 12:57,

That's what the NPR weather guy called it. When we double the Quabbin release to aid the Connecticut River that's what i call it.

Ken

tincup said...

If one finds themselves in other areas go explore rivers and streams and just use the helpful tips given in this form. Found myself on a family vacation in the winnipesaukee area. Found and fished the newfound river and pemigewasset river below the dam on Avery Island. All the tips of early late cloudy misty days produced fish. Some really nice browns brookies and rainbows with lots of smallmouths when the sun got high. Found it fun exploring and figuring out the seams and flows. Several time I would think, what would Ken do or try. So your information is truly helpful everywhere, because in the Northwoods their is nobody giving the information you do or the fish(people) willing to share there knowledge. We who follow this blog are really blessed with what is shared by all here. I for one hope it never ends Tincup

Millers River Flyfisher said...

tincup,

Thank you very,very much. The people who comment on this blog deserve credit too.

How long will all of this last? Until I'm 100 I hope!!!

Ken

Sam said...

I agree with what Tincup posted above. When I was fishing the Yellow Breeches late June, a stream I knew little about, I too thought what would Ken fish here? Soft hackle were used and connected in good fashion. This blog site is a true asset to fly fishermen.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

Thank you!!! I was down in Bondsville a week or so ago and wondered what YOU would do down here. Again, thank you.

Ken

Sam said...

Ken,

I hope to see you on the stream one of these days, either in Bondsville or up North. I would enjoy meeting you in person.

Lately I have been fishing downstream casting soft hackles and small streamers into every unlikely pocket I come across. Not that many fish left right now, but once in a while I connect. Last night I hooked a nice rainbow in about a foot of water on a little royal coachman streamer. A few small brookies have been netted lately too.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

One of these days we will meet!! I've got a few spots you would like to see. Send me an email.

Ken