Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Recent Rain, Tricos, And Flying Ants

"Tricos will be with us for the next couple of weeks. They are tiny and will average size 24 give or take a hook size. Tricos are normally an early to mid morning hatch/spinner fall.  FYI- spinner falls are normally the main event" - From Upcountry Fly Shop, On The Farmington, August 14, 2019


Flying ants are natures way of trying to duplicate the man made pellet hatch. You would be hard pressed to find more surface action than when these guys start falling on the water. I've seen this "swarm" on the EB, the Farmington, the Swift but strangely I can't recall one on the Millers but I'm sure there have been some.

I used to get elaborate with tying ants with adding hackle point wings and such but that is more of a waste of time.  I've reduced my ants to basic "trigger points" - an hour glass profile and and a blue dun hackle about one size smaller than the fly.

Blue Dun???  Why not black for a black ant and brown/red for a red ant?  Simple. The hackle doesn't represent the insect body or its legs BUT ITS WINGS which reflect sunlight like glass.  Blue dun will do that!

One more thing - use synthetic dubbing for this pattern.  You will be able to shape that hour glass profile and it doesn't like to absorb water.

Another thing - take a black sharpie and color the hackles on the underside of the ant near the waist.

Exaggerate the hour glass profile. Maybe we should call it the Kardashian Ant!!!!

Last Nights Rain

The skies opened up out in Western and Central Ma and some much needed rain was the result. The Millers went from 110 cfs to 229 cfs (very good) and the EB went from 30 to 80. I'd like to see one more storm on that river this week.


Tricos??

It came to my attention that someone is claiming that the Farmington Trico hatch is over and they just missed it. In response I posted the quote from Upcountry Fly Shop dated August 14 ( top of this post) stating that the tricos are just starting to appear and will be with us for the next couple of weeks. I don't know about you but I'd trust Upcountry's reports before anyone else's concerning the Farmie!!!!

Their river reports are updated twice a week all year long. Before you leave for that Farmie trip check out their site!!!

Ken







14 comments:

mattk said...

Most ants i tie for the Swift are parachute patterns w/dun hackle down the post. For a flying ant, rather than tying the post on the head, was thinking of tying the post/hackle on the rear section or stomach of the ant. Anyone try this? Thoughts?

Millers River Flyfisher said...

mattk,

I've moved away from parachutes because the hackle obscures the fly profile.

Ken

BobT said...

I am not sure what he is talking about-I saw that too...the Tricos run right up to October and even a little later. I am looking forward to finding some on the Henry's Fork in about 3 weeks but until then-ants have picked up quite a few fish over the last two outings-truthfully they always do. I have long thought of the Ant like an Adams or Soft Hackle or PT...they pick up fish all the time even without the "hatch" I recall using them the day after Thanksgiving on the Swift many many years ago...successfully.

Anonymous said...

Tried posting earlier so apology if this dupilacates: Fished the lower c&r section on the Millers last night up until dark. Beautiful evening and caught a ton of smallmouth and sunfish on hoppers. Stayed until dark and never saw any risers. I wonder if the storms moving through had something to do with it?

Unknown said...

HI Ken,thanks for expertise ,it is the most enjoyable reading on line.Love the kardasian ant! Fished on the Farmington a couple of days ago just below the dam.The little rainbows were hopping for a Royal Wulff. The Farmington is a real nice spot! Too bad its an hour and a half drive. Cheers,Chet

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Chet,

Glad that you like the blog! The Farmie is a good place. That and the Swift.

BobT,

I've seen lots of tricos on the Millers, like mica falling from the morning sky and lots caught in spider webs alon the shore and bridges but no rising trout!! My latest ant caught trout was on theS wift in early December years ago. No ants around but the trout have a good memory!

Anonymous,

I think your comment got tagged onto a previous post. I still think there are trout to be had on the Millers but we need more water. We have it now!!!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Good post as usual.

A.N.

Gary said...

On the MB this morning, enough water to fish and not harm the trout. Fooled 2 chunky, butter colored browns 16-17" with a #12 Chernobyl,vicious hits on top,got them in quick and released. On another note I have been trout fishing for over 50 yrs. never lost or misplaced a net. This year I have lost 2, 1 on the mighty Swift and 1 this morning on the MB. Now I still have 2 left but I'm starting to worry.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

The perfect morning!!! I'll look for the net. Watch for my next post because it's a bit of a surprise.

You do know those rivers!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Hey Ken That's a nice picture of you in Eastern Fly Fishing! Congratulations! Chet

Falsecast said...

Had a blast with big hoppers off the bank at the Swift today then was dodging falling branches and lighting running out of there about 3pm. Very heavy storm blew through. Anyone who was there knows how heavy it was. Good fun. :)

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Falsecast,

I could see that storm to the south of me and then saw it on the evening news. It was a mess.

Chet,

Thank you!

Ken

mattk said...

( )-() <ant pattern
P
O
S
T

Post on the rear section of the ant to represent wings...like the real thing. Wasn't hard to tie. Will it work? Probably. Just a different way of constructing a fly. Parachute patterns sit down on the surface. Good for slow glass like water. I'll use catskill style flies in slightly choppier water.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

mattk,

I stopped with Catskill style dries years ago. A lousy style. Now everything is in the film. Parachute dries are on the way out for me too. Fun to tie but the same result can be had with a comparadun style.

Ken