Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Rating The Rivers, Favorite Flies And It's Not The Rods Fault

"Think of trout as predators (that’ll can be hard at first)" - Comment left on another blog (Of course they're predators! What the hell do you think they are, vegetarians???) - Me


Some years it's a horse race to pick a top river for the year.  2019 can be labeled a "no contest" because  the Swift lands it hands down.  To be fair Mother Nature dealt some bad cards to the freestones in the form of a six month flood that even effected a tailwater like the Swift.  The Swift responded by releasing, via the spillway, hundreds of BIG LL SALMON to play with during the winter followed by a late Spring and Summer of great surface action. (I hope you remember the Cedar Waxwings chasing the Sulphurs at mid day last July. I almost got hit in the face by one of those birds! Between the rising trout and the swooping birds the sulphurs didn't stand a chance.)  As I write we are watching the steady parade of brookies being followed by monster browns which should continue through November.  In my not-so-humble-opinion the Swift may be the best trout stream in New England!!!

Is there a "2nd Place"?  Yes, the Millers and the EB are a dead heat for that position. Late May and June were wonderful on the old Millers and the EB  made up for lost ground with a great Autumn which is still going on.  These rivers will still produce if the flows stay down.



Favorite Fly - The DMS Caddis

This became my favorite soft hackle of 2019.  It's somber hue is just right for imitating caddis flies and works all season long.  Hell, it does a good job when mayflies rule the water too. I wrote in depth about this fly on my October 16th post of this year.  It could be that it may be the ONLY unweighted insect imitation that you will need on ANY river, period. (As many readers know I like to carry just a few patterns - a minimalist I guess. This may be my super fly!!!)



The Perfect Trout Rod

I would think that the perfect river rod for trout would be 9 feet in length and geared for a 5wt line. This will take you anywhere that you want to go in Trout Land (Millers, EB, Ware, and the Farmington) and you will certainly not be over gunned in any situation.

8 feet to 8.5 feet is perfect for smaller streams like  the Swift, the West Branch of the Westfield and the Mill River with 3 or 4 wt lines leading the way.

Good bamboo, at 7 feet to 8 feet, gets a pass on length because it just does.  Too beautiful not to fish!!!

Rods below 7 feet leave much to be desired. They might work well on the tiniest of streams but ......  Yes, I know that Lee Wulff caught Atlantic Salmon on a 6 foot rod but I would not recommend it for you.

Many rods over 10 feet long have that weird "hinged" effect which I find unnerving.  I believe that the effect is caused by too much mass beyond the half way point.  Some companies then went to very light weight rods of long length (nymph rods) and we had a epidemic of broken rods.  Stay with a 9 footer!!!

I don't believe in having a rod for every situation. We are not golfers carrying a bag of clubs around.  Find a rod that will take care of most of your situations.  You don't need a nymph rod, a streamer rod, a dry fly rod or whatever.  Settle on "An All-Round Fly Rod" and make it work.

Ken














11 comments:

Sam said...

First off, Ken, I am really enjoying that 8'6" Redington rod you recommended to me. Very affordable and in my humble opinion a fine rod. I have especially enjoyed using it for high stick situations versus the 7' Fenwick I was using previously. I imagine I'll use that 7'er again when I explore small streams when I have more time available to fish at some point.

Once the water went down this spring, about all I fished were soft hackles in various versions. Even when trout are rising they proved to be very effective for me when I got the fly near the rise zone. I have many Catskill dries that I tied up last winter, but didn't fish them once. The only truly floating fly I fished this year was the elk hair caddis and if they brought a hit, it was usually a violent slashing one. That is a lot of fun to see that happen.

Best Regards, Sam

Anonymous said...

"We are not golfers carrying a bag of clubs around." Dang it, I have my wife convinced that fly fishing is just like golf! Can't play a round with one club/rod.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Sam,

I usually don't endorse rods but the Redington line, especially the "Classic Trout" line, is such a great value. There are rods out there that cost 4 times as much and are not as good.

A word about rising trout: as you know most "rises" are not rises after adult insects but attempts to catch emerging insects stuck in or trying to break through the surface
tension. That's where soft hackles rule.

Ken

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous 10:02,

That's funny!!

Ken

Paul Fay said...

Good morning all, Sam it's funny I also have tons of flies of all styles to imitate duns and they take a back seat to soft hackles 9 times out of 10

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul and Sam,

I think this blog is becoming SOFT HACKLE NATION!!!!(that's a good thing)

Ken

Sam said...

Paul and Ken,

With the high flows last spring I started fishing the soft hackles and never stopped, reason being they never stopped producing. Along with partridge and orange, I have fished a soft hackle emerger pattern that has pheasant tail wrapped about 2/3 the length of the shank, then a few wraps of dubbing inserted in a split then retwisted thread, then the a couple wraps of partridge hackle to complete the fly.

The dubbing colors range from yellow, tan, olive, you name it. Meant to imitate the emerging insect coming out of the nymph shuck, it has just been deadly this year. The dubbing in that split thread is somewhat loose and takes on a liquid appearance that almost glows in the water to hopefully match whatever mayfly type is hatching. Here is where I got the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__RaJOtsKwo&t=263s

Sam

Paul Fay said...

Sam, Pheasant shuck is the way to go! I'll share my biggest swift secret for sulfurs and it's only because you mentioned the two tone body (as I call them) I do not use anything close to yellow when the sulfurs come off but a pheasant tail abdomen with a black dubbed thorax small CDC wing that I kind of smoosh under the hackle which I don't palmer instead just a small (very sparse) tuft of barbs tied on like a wing but I use my thumb and forefinger to splay them out a bit #20-#22

Quinneyfish said...

Ken

Any advice on the Swift with big bows hanging out low surrounded by some smaller brookies. Threw soft hackle which didn't;'t seem to get don low enough to them. tried bead head hares ear sized 16, no interest tried tandem with hares ear trailing a pin head no luck. Any advice? (Other than keep trying!)

2 of the three trips to the EB were very productive Pat's Rubber legs and bead Head Hares ear. Flow was high last Tuesday.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Quinneyfish,

We caught fish the last 2 days with soft hackles in water that was anywhere from 8 to 18 inches deep. If you must use a micro shot 4-6 inches above the fly. Maybe use an egg pattern with micro shot. Could you see the fish??

Ken

Sam said...

Paul, thanks for the heads up your secret Swift fly. I will have to try those when the mayflies are flying around again. The challenge for me right now is getting the chance to fish now that the dark season has set in. I am aiming to get out Sunday for a few hours and look forward to it.

Regards, Sam