Autumn On The EB

Autumn On The EB

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Another Milestone And Fiberglass Rods.

"Hi Ken, No special message this time - just thanks again for your blog. I read every new post faithfully. Your sharing of your knowledge of streams, techniques, and patterns is much appreciated. Warmest holiday greetings to you and your readers. "John 



It blew right by me but this fragile experiment in  flyfishing journalism passed a milestone this past October. We met and crossed the 2 MILLION PAGE VIEW MARK.  And I use the editorial "WE" because it takes readership to accomplish this and readership to motivate me to continue with this blog.

Back in the early days (pre 2010) readership was slim but it grew organically by focusing on local rivers, fishing reports, stories and not falling into  the trap of bogus product reviews and bucket list dreaming.  There's enough of that out there.  Keep the flavor "local" and keep it coming!!!!!!

I thank everyone who has enjoyed reading this blog and for all of those readers who have made sincere, knowledgeable comments throughout the years on this blog's content. Again, thank you!!!!!  Rivers in this state such as the Ware, Swift, Millers, the EB and the WB of the Westfield will continue to be reported on throughout the year because of you!!!

Fiberglass

I know enough not to chance smashing one of my bamboo beauties in weather that will cause the tip to ice up and I won't fish any of the graphite "nymphing" rods in this cold season because of all the online evidence of smashed tips that one can easily find.  Regular graphite can get the job done (I've fished graphite in cold weather for 40 years and have only broken one and that was after 14 seasons of heavy use).

If you want a rod that is built to last try out a sturdy fiberglass rod in the 4 to 6wt range (I've also fished glass for years and have NEVER broken one in the act of fishing).  In my younger days I abused fiberglass in all kinds of silly ways but I never broke one.  The stuff is bullet proof!!  And it's not your "fathers fiberglass" but appears to have improved in feel and action while increasing the length to what we would never believe was possible just a few years ago.  I had the opportunity to cast one of the new generation of glass and it felt great.  Yup, I'm in the market for one!!!  I also have a 7.5 foot, 6wt Walt Powell blank that I built years ago and then stripped down because I didn't like the job that I did.  It may be a good winter project this year!

Fishing Right Now

The season is pretty much over as far as the freestones are concerned unless Gary is making some magic on the EB.  It's the Swift in central Ma right now and it's worth the trip especially if we get that winter day when temperatures creep into the 40's and midges and winter caddis start popping at the PIPE and the Y Pool.

I'll be there and so should you!!!

Ken




13 comments:

zach said...

Caught my first ever winter trout at the pipe on Wednesday, was really excited! Only caught one but the guys next to me were using pellet flies and were catching trout left and right

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Zach,

Good for you!!!!!Now you've got to get some pellet flies.

Ken

Gary said...

No, no the last magic on the EB was Nov 11 (still wet wading by the way) but then the ice sheets and 2 ft. of snow put a crimp on things. Last fish 2018 was Nov 1st and 2017 Nov 13th on that branch. I suppose I should start tying pats rubberlegs,caddis dries,black spiders,etc. for next year, but tying is a hobby that supports my passion, fly fishing. So some magic could happen before 2020 starts.

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Gary,

You love that river for sure especially if you're wet wading in November!!!! Thank you foor your comments!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

I'm in the market for a glass rod around 7 ft. That should work for the small steams that I like.

Jared

Anonymous said...

Lots of good IM6 rods available as everyone is chasing the latest and greatest. Funny thing those IM6's were the cat's meow when they hit the market!

Perk said...

In 1980, I bought a 71/2 ft. Fenwick 6 wt. rod that I used all of my fishing needs. I purchased this rod along with a medalist reel at a place called Spag’s that no longer is in business. I agree with Ken that fiberglass rods can withstand use and maybe some abuse in all kinds of conditions. I love that rod but hardly use it since I bought a Sage 4 wt a few years ago.
Perk

Sam said...

Ken,

Do you think Quabbin will overflow the dam again this winter? I imagine it has to be getting pretty full once again.

Sam

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Anonymous,

You are absolutely correct.

Perk,

I bought my 7 foot Fenwick Glass 5wt at Spags in 1973 and I caught a ton of trout in all sizes of rivers with all sizes of flies. I still have it and occasionally take it out for a spin. Like everyone else I got caught up with graphite but if the stuff was never used in rod building I wouldn't of missed it.

Sam,

On the first week of the month I check this website that has Quabbin volume updated
monthly. We may have a ways to go.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,
Congrats on hitting the 2 million page mark! When I'm not on the river fishing, I spend an awful of time thinking about how badly I WANT to be on the river fishing and your blog always helps feed the need! Thanks.

I love fiberglass! Up until last year when I needed to get a 6wt rod for a trip to Patagonia, I only had one rod....and that was fiberglass. It is a 5wt T&T heirloom given to me as a gift to encourage my fly fishing interest and I have fished it solidly for at least 10 years. The biggest upgrade I ever made with that rod set up was to switch fly lines to an Orvis line that was supposedly designed for glass rods. I have no idea what the technical difference was with the line - I'm not a gadget guy - but I will say I could tell the difference in a positive way.

Anyway, I LOVE the slower, smooth action of that rod. I've found the casting experience with fiberglass so mesmerizing at times that I (almost) don't care whether I catch a fish. I've also found that my hooking to landing "percentage" is much higher with fiberglass then it is with graphite. You can feel so much more of the fight from the biggest browns on the Swift to the smallest of the brookies. It's really kind of crazy just how much I think fiberglass can improve the fishing experience, so in case you can't tell, I'm a big fan. The only drawback I have found with this rod is that the smooth casting motion breaks down when I use it with weighted streamers like bigger bead head wooly buggers or if I have to resort to fishing under a "bobber" indicator. It's fine with smaller bead head nymphs under wool style New Zealand indicators. Since this is the only fiberglass rod I have, I'm not sure if this is a limitation on all fiberglass rods, but I suspect it is.

Paul

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul,

Glad that you like the blog!!

Heavy weighted flies can cause a hinged effect with some glass rods. they are perfect with unweighted flies!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Hinged is the perfect way to describe how my fiberglass rod breakdowns with heavier flies. I've often heard that the casting feel of fiberglass rods is similar to bamboo. I've never cast one so I don't know. Do you think that is an accurate description and if so, do you get the same hinged effect with bamboo if you casts heavier flies.

Thanks,
Paul H

Millers River Flyfisher said...

Paul H.,

I think all rod materials will hinge with heavy flies/split shot to some extent, bamboo and fiberglass more so. Bamboo and glass are similar and work best without weight.

Ken